• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Dragoon
  3. How Often Do You All Replay LoD?

User Info: MsRenndilya

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#1
Like annually, bi annually, every five years or what? I have a habit of replaying my favorite RPGs or video games in general every couple years. Last time I played this was in fall 2016. so it's been about two years and I'm thinking of doing another.

Also, do you ever get an itch to play the game but then think about something negative that you dislike about it and end up changing your mind? This happens to me. The simple fact that character strengths are so imbalanced late game and that poor Kongol was shafted the most is the only thought that ever makes me question another playthrough. It's just that the plot is nice to experience again and the ost is good and the gameplay overall for the beginning and near end game is balanced enough and fun. So regardless even when I question my next playthrough I sometime do it anyways.

How about you all?
Please Nintendo make Bowsette canon, she's amazing!

User Info: WindMouseHanpan

WindMouseHanpan
1 month ago#2
Every 1-2 years usually. I think I might played it bi-anually a couple of times, though I'm not sure...wouldn't be surprised if I did.
Let's plays, non-commenatated playthroughs 'n more! Come on down to Iido's Gaming Den! :D https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqZW13u9eQiTvhqKG1L6Eg

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#3
WindMouseHanpan posted...
Every 1-2 years usually. I think I might played it bi-anually a couple of times, though I'm not sure...wouldn't be surprised if I did.

That's so me right there. I have only once played LoD twice in a single year! That was in 2003 when I was still in high school.

User Info: DrewUniverse

DrewUniverse
1 month ago#4
A few times a year on average. If I didn't lead a full life, it would be somewhat more often. Incomplete playthroughs are far more frequent however, as I perform a lot of research for the community.

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#5
Wow that's a lot of playthroughs. I have been absent for the boards for a while. What research do you do for the community?

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#6
I'm finding in this playthrough that I really love Shana as a character she is so sweet, adorable, and devoted. There is something about her I really like. I am not looking forward to Miranda taking her spot on the team ugh. I'm already on my way to Helena for the second time(the sad visit) and I'm sad thinking about what's about to occur. Sadly I did not get the Bandits Ring from Drake this time around.. and I won't bother with it now I'll grind Gangsters later for two. I got lucky on my last playthrough in 2016 and got it on the first try. I did however get lucky fighting Fire Spirits and won a Spirit Cloak on my first fight with them. In the process of having my Haschel master Double Punch and getting Shana's Dragoon Spirit to level 2 I luckily won his Beast Fang!

So far my progress is going great. My Dart has Double Slash, Volcano, and Burning Rush all mastered and his Dragoon is level 3. Rose mastered Whip Smack and is at level 2 Dragoon. Shana has her Dragoon to level 2. Hashel already mastered Double Punch and Lavits mastered Harpoon, Spinning Cane, and has 23 Rod Typhoons completed and has his Dragoon at level 2. I'm ready for Helena(2nd) tomorrow!

I may make this thread a fun little playthrough blog or something.

By the way does anyone know if defeating an enemy under certain conditions or circumstances affects item drops? When I was grinding for Beast Fang I did not get one for over an hour but then when the Lizard Man used it's "Physical Attack Barrier" I decided to use Final Burst on it and it dropped the rare drop??? Does it's barrier usage and my magic make a difference in item drops somehow?

User Info: Master_Norris69

Master_Norris69
1 month ago#7
Once a year. At least I try for once a year. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I stop around disc 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWMMBWTxkyE

DrewUniverse
1 month ago#8
MsRenndilya posted...
Wow that's a lot of playthroughs. I have been absent for the boards for a while. What research do you do for the community?

I do a lot of looking-things-up, basically. Preventing false information from being accepted as fact is one of my primary jobs, because so many fans genuinely convey falsehoods as fact. It's usually not intentional, and I have been mistaken as well, but it's important to separate canon from speculation.

I study the developer guidebook that contains additional lore that less than .1% of the fanbase is aware of, and I preserve old data such as concept art images, a record of known LoD merchandise, and game data buried in the discs. I lead the project to create a new wiki from scratch - so far so fabulous - and try to bring awareness to why supporting Wikia is generally unwise. I also do a lot of analysis on past campaign efforts to push for a new LoD title, and have come to really understand why they all fell apart with no impact.

Beyond that, I help network for discoveries made by others, such as Dart's beta model - which is in the final version of the game in a few cutscenes - or Zieg's Explosion spell, or unused equipment icons (there are icons for necklace, axe, spear, hammer, extra torsos..). There's a lot more but the general objective is making the information known/accessible, bolstering available resources and entertainment for the fanbase.

After getting that much experience, I ended up realizing I am naturally - or have become - highly interested in doing research in general. I dunno how to put it in better words at the moment, but I hope this proves to be a proper glimpse. Thank you for asking!

MsRenndilya posted...
By the way does anyone know if defeating an enemy under certain conditions or circumstances affects item drops? When I was grinding for Beast Fang I did not get one for over an hour but then when the Lizard Man used it's "Physical Attack Barrier" I decided to use Final Burst on it and it dropped the rare drop??? Does it's barrier usage and my magic make a difference in item drops somehow?

Yes. Strictly speaking, each action you or the enemy takes will affect the "RNG" of whether or not the item drops. It is based on semi-predetermined data when a battle begins. I am not great at explaining it, but I can provide an example of how RNG can be exploited to get a specific result.

In the RPG Golden Sun for Game Boy Advance, and its sequel, it is possible to perform specific actions to nearly guarantee the rare item to drop. An example is the Atropos Rod. Instructions will say something like this:

"Go to the Yampi Desert Cave. Save your game. Reset game. Keep trying until you get a Fire Dragon accompanied with something. Make sure Piers is the slowest party member but faster than the Fire Dragon."

Then the instructions provide the actions you need to take. Felix casts Clay Spire, Jenna casts Debilitate, etc. Sometimes you are instructed to defend with one or more characters. For Golden Sun, it is a matter of getting the exact battle formation necessary. An encounter with a Fire Dragon and another foe require one series of actions, but encountering a Fire Dragon by itself may require a different set of actions.

LoD works similarly as far as I understand. Thing is, We have yet to see anyone post such RNG methods for LoD. Battles are longer, particularly for bosses of course, but I am surprised no one has made an accessible post for a set of actions in a minor battle. I'm all for natural grinding once in awhile, but after playing the game so many times it seems justified to do a little RNG manipulation when we're playing the exact same content for the 20th or 40th time.

MsRenndilya
1 month ago#9
You sound like an amazingly knowledgeable person Drew! Would you mind sharing the obscure plot points and concept art with me or rather us? I adore this game(been playing since 2002) and would love to know more about the obscure aspects of it! Thanks a lot for answering my questions too!! are you Lassarina Aoibhell by any chance?! I have been using the RPG Place.com site for LoD since 2003. I always found it super helpful.

I'm farming Bandits Ring from Gangsters now. I managed to already get 1 in 1.5 hours as well as a sachet. I'm thinking that weapons that inflict status may be effective means to manipulate the rng.

EDIT: About an hour later I got another Bandits Ring and another Sachet.. hell yeah! Just one more Bandits Ring till I have four for the guys.

DrewUniverse
1 month ago#10
MsRenndilya posted...
are you Lassarina Aoibhell by any chance?! I have been using the RPG Place.com site for LoD since 2003. I always found it super helpful.

I am not that person. I did have a fansite but it was not as well designed due to my young age and lack of time near a computer. I too browsed their site on occasion, at first about 15 years ago, and then re-discovering it a few months ago. I tried reaching Lasserina but failed to find contact info. Still, it's been fun - and challenging - to try and document known fansites including that one, Endiness.net, and half a dozen other sites.

MsRenndilya posted...
You sound like an amazingly knowledgeable person Drew! Would you mind sharing the obscure plot points and concept art with me or rather us? I adore this game(been playing since 2002) and would love to know more about the obscure aspects of it! Thanks a lot for answering my questions too!!

You're welcome, and thank you too! I wasn't always like this. I have always been enthusiastic about LoD abroad, but the researching angle I picked up seems to be my version of a dormant DS being awoken. I feel fabulous :P Also, grats on the Ring farm! That item has a 2% drop rate (30% from Drake).

Long story short, all the knowledge and resources do not fit easily in one thread let alone a thread reply. What I can do is provide some external links and a few examples of exciting lore (in my opinion anyway).

1. The global community efforts are currently coordinated through Discord (server link: https://discord.gg/rQWXgK5). There isn't really an active instant-chat or conversation-based platform for LoD online anywhere else, so I founded the Discord server two years ago. Eventually projects and plans will migrate to a full website, but Discord will still be an ideal chatting hub. This is usually where the latest discoveries are posted before reaching other social networks online.

2. There is a Trello board for keeping track of all community projects as well as social media status, etc. It is about two months out of date now, again we're understaffed, but I hope to bring it up to date ASAP. Link: https://trello.com/b/yZYeEMcu

3. The concept art, along with other materials, is documented in what I call the "resource archive." It's currently a Google Drive folder chock-full of assorted images and data. It is a work in progress, but still a comprehensive data package for Legend of Dragoon at the time of this writing. Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Es_xP2BUZK1RtDiEY8WDnFBVGAfW801a?usp=sharing

Edit: 4. The new wiki is temporarily being housed on my personal web server until the aforementioned website gets established. Link: http://drewuniverse.net/wiki-dragoon/index.php?title=Main_Page

-----

Finally, some lore. I'll share what the developers say about Dragoons to whet your appetite.

"In the era of the Dragon Campaign, it is said that there were many Dragoons, including the legendary seven, but they disappeared with the conclusion of the Dragon Campaign. Dragons have multiple eyeballs except for Pseudo Dragons (lowest of seven ranks). When a Dragon dies, the eyes are dragged together into a Dragoon spirit.

When transforming, the consciousness of the subject and the Dragon are fused, and a dispute occurs as to which one dominates the body. Therefore, even though people of weak conscience can become a Dragoon, they will be dominated by the Dragon. The Dragon, which the Creator Soa believes not to have intelligence, is strongly destructive and the Dragoon dominated by the Dragon instinctively tries to destroy everything in the surrounding area."

Getting confirmations like this is fully exciting to me. There is some really interesting lore about the Winged Executioners, stardust, Zackwell and Dragons to name a few!
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Dragoon
  3. How Often Do You All Replay LoD?
  • Topic Archived