Gonna play this for the first time...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Heart of Darkness
  3. Gonna play this for the first time...

User Info: SpiralDrift

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#1
I just played through Out of This World and Heart of The Alien (no cheats or save states!) and thought I'd give this one a try for the first time. I'm expecting a challenging but rewarding game with lots of atmosphere.

I'll post my thoughts as I progress. If anyone still visits this board feel free to chime in. Just no spoilers, please (I haven't even read the other threads for fear of spoilers).
Do unto others what your parents did to you.

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#2
I played for a while last night and got to the first climbing section. There's a long spine bone on the left that I tried jumping to but couldn't quite make it. I'll try again later.

I'm liking the game so far. I already have a feeling the negative reviews were just written by people who don't like games to be this hard. I think this is a bit unfair as this kind of difficulty is just an aspect of the genre.

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#3
It took me a few more tries to figure it out. I was trying to jump up onto the foot bone and noticed that the platform shook, so I jumped again and it fell, leading me to the next area. Alright.

I got crushed by the closing skull on the next screen. Was that a face on the side of the cliff?

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#4
I'm a bit past the start of the second disc now. What was with the cut scene at the end of disc one? It looked like one of the "Amigo" guys was scratching his nards, and then the elder Amigo took a massive toke of some foreign substance. I guess this game wasn't meant for kids to begin with, with all the gruesome death scenes and such. Still... lol.

I was stuck for a while on the lava climbing section. There's sure been a lot of climbing for the past few sections. I'm hoping it'll mix things up a bit more sometime soon.

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#5
I just got to the cut scene that shows one of the *spoilers* Amigo guys transforming into one of the dark creatures. Interesting. I wonder if they'll also give an explanation for the shadow monster things and why the Amigos can't land as well.

I'm now in the section with all the sliding pillars by the glowing rock that first appeared toward the start of the game. I didn't notice the first time it was sitting on one of those pillar things. I imagine I'll have to find some way to get that one to come down. I'm currently on the part with the second seed, which I think I have to get to the right after dropping the pillar in its way.

I did it, moved the glowing rock up and triggered the next cut scene. Guess I didn't have to bother with that second seed after all. Now it looks like I have to kill a bunch of those flying creatures since I'm limited to two screens and they keep coming. I'm already having some difficulty with this...

SpiralDrift
6 years ago#6
Gah... it crashed before loading the next area and I had to restart from my last save at the lava climbing section. I put it down until this morning and then got to the part where I'm looking for the very last fragment of the magic rock. The endless waves of shadow creatures and having to jump over the main bad guy's fire balls is getting pretty frustrating. I lasted for a while into the third screen of this area but kept dying, so I stopped playing again for a while.

I started on it again, and after many, many deaths I finally did it! The next playable area was a breeze, leading to the final cut scene.

And now... huh?! 3D glasses? @--@->

I have some! Just gotta find them.

That was pretty cool. The 3D effect was lost on the parts with lots of screen movement, though. But it did still work even though I was playing on a PSP. What a cool little surprise for completing the game.

Overall I enjoyed this game. It's not quite on the level of Out of This World or Flashback, but it was challenging in all the right ways. That is, forcing the player to master certain things in order to pass seemingly impossible areas (and then getting them in one try from then on... lol). Anyway, I'd recommend this game to any other fans of this genre. DON'T LISTEN TO THE REVIEWS. Just play it.

Now I'm off to play the first Oddworld for the first time. :)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Heart of Darkness
  3. Gonna play this for the first time...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived