• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. How long does the Calm last?
Aribar_Hunter 9 years ago#1
Howdy. It's been quite a few years since I've played Final Fantasy X. I recently saw a discussion about the game and one person said that the Calms only last a few months, if that. For some reason I and the person they were arguing against thought they lasted ten years.

I'd love to play the game again to find out for sure, but I just don't have the time. Do any fans here know how long Calms last? Thanks.
"Imagine Portal but in reverse. If you can't visualize that, don't bother trying to be a game designer." - Peter Molydeux
ferdk16 9 years ago#2
Its not explicitly stated, but given the information we have it shouldn't be more than a year (more likely, just a few months).

this information we have is:

-Auron rode Sin to Zanarkand after being killed by Yunalesca. He watched over Tidus for the last 10 years. The Sin he rode was Jecht-Sin, as he died to Yunalesca after his pals sacrificed themselves to kill the previous one.
-Rin found a wounded Auron 10 years ago, so he fought Yunalesca at that time. Shortly after he rode Sin.
-In X-2 Yuna's Calm is considered the Eternal Calm, and only 2 years passed since her accomplishment. If at that point people didn't suspect Sin would come back, that means every other time he came back in a shorter period of time.
Mr Hangman 9 years ago#3
I vaguely remember somebody mentioning this on Mi'ihen highroad... but I'm not sure.
#b# What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
Verdekal 9 years ago#4
Remember that Yuna said, though Tidus, "even for a little while, people can sleep in their beds without being afraid..."

I'd wager weeks.
Don't tease the octopus, kids!
jakezing33 9 years ago#5
if it was weeks nobody would honestly bother trying, im going with the few months to a year at the latest.

then again sins only been defeated 5 times.
Duke Darkwood 9 years ago#6
As I said in the "plot hole" thread, I place a range of no less than approximately three months, but definitely less than a year.

As for the short end - if Calms lasted less time than a pilgrimage took, it really wouldn't be worth it. You'd end up with a "summoner train". Spira would run out of people to save.

For the long end? All the reasons given in the other thread, by myself and others. If it was more than a year, then even fudging an estimate, you couldn't say Auron was with Tidus for "ten years". (And people in FFX2 would be skeptical. After only two years, NOBODY doubted it was an eternal calm.)
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
R1n 9 years ago#7
It's about ten years. I was playing through that part recently. As someone stated, I believe it was at the Mi'ihen Highroad.
Mega Man is my hero.
"You want the truth?" "Why not?" "I'm Stella's sugar daddy." - Final Fantasy XV's plot.
jakezing33 9 years ago#8
Duke Darkwood posted...
As I said in the "plot hole" thread, I place a range of no less than approximately three months, but definitely less than a year.

As for the short end - if Calms lasted less time than a pilgrimage took, it really wouldn't be worth it. You'd end up with a "summoner train". Spira would run out of people to save.

For the long end? All the reasons given in the other thread, by myself and others. If it was more than a year, then even fudging an estimate, you couldn't say Auron was with Tidus for "ten years". (And people in FFX2 would be skeptical. After only two years, NOBODY doubted it was an eternal calm.)

well,people saying "10 years" makes me skeptical in that humans have a tendency to round.
ferdk16 9 years ago#9
R1n posted...
It's about ten years. I was playing through that part recently. As someone stated, I believe it was at the Mi'ihen Highroad.

No, you're wrong. Braska's Calm ocurred 10 years ago, but it didn't last for all of those 10 years. It lasted for a very short period of time (that is not explicitly stated in the game).
SpeedYoshi 9 years ago#10
I always got the impression that the first calm lasted a long longer than the most recent one
Don't worry guys, I have all the clubs
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. How long does the Calm last?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A