• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. best order for endgame content?

User Info: proadam

proadam
8 years ago#1
Alright. So I've replayed through the game again with the intentions of this time completing a master file. I have completed inside sin, and am ready to start all of the endgame content. That is sidequesting and farming and minigames.

My question to you all is what I should begin with, and what sequence should I do this endgame content in? Which stuff requires to strongest party to do etc?

Thanks for any input here,
proadam
"Complete" Files: FF6/FF7/FF8/FF9/FF13
Playing: DotA, FF6, FF10, FF13 (polishing)

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
8 years ago#2
This is a very long multi-part post with a very in-depth list and semi-walkthrough.

The end-game content is actually something that allows for a little jumping around, especially with regards to the Monster Arena. The rewards for catching the monsters are excellent and should be quite easy for most areas prior to the end-game monsters. By the time you finish the earlier areas, you'll have enough rewards and probably even some more sphere levels to help ease the difficulty of those as well.

On the other hand, the arena creations are quite difficult, most of which are even more difficult than the final boss. Because of that, don't expect (or try unless you're using a guide) to seriously beat the creations you unlock until you also do other sidequests or gain some more sphere levels. Upon creating a new creature, you instantly get the rewards and have an opportunity to face it for free when you speak to the arena master. If you save before fighting them, you can reload if it turns out you wasted a lot of items for a pointless battle.

Next paragraphs may contain spoilers for events prior to what you've completed, along with spoiler names for dugeons, aeon names, optional boss names, sidequest events, and other miscellaneous stuff.

*****Spoilers*****

Warning: If you try to do all of the sidequests, you will end up killing the final boss in a few hits. This game has a ton of end-game optional enemies that are intended to be more difficult than the final boss battles with more than 10 times its HP and a lot more dangerous offensive attacks. If you want to preserve the challenge and not miss sidequests, save after Zanarkand, beat the final bosses, reload your save. There is no save after the point of no return, but there is at least one missable (Durren) that makes things complicated if you do save after Ovedrive Sin battle.

In the list I'll give, I'm assuming that you plan on doing all of the sidequests. Since I don't know which version you're using, I'll mention Dark Aeons as well, though there won't be any if you're playing a North American or original NTSC-J/U version of the game. Also note that while you can get away with catching one or more of each enemy, it does save a lot of time to get it out of the way and catch all 10 of each monster for each area as you go. The order I'd suggest with regard to the sidequests:

*Durren note: Blitzball player Durren is only available until a certain boss fight toward the end-game. If you don't pick him up before that fight, you can never recruit him. This makes getting blitzball stuff out of the way before that event important as well since resetting data removes him from your team. He's not particularly great, but he is missable.

0A. Monster Arena - Catching: All areas prior to Final Dungeon and Omega Ruins, throughout all other sidequests. You should regularly come here to turn in your "quests" for rewards that may be useful for various reasons.
0B. Cloudy Mirror and Celestial Mirror upgrade will be required for the Celestial Weapons. Even if you don't do the rest of the stuff at the Remium Temple near the Calm Lands, do the mini-game here to get the mirror and power it up in Macalania by re-uniting the family and using the mirror on the entity.
0C. You should also use the coordinates and passwords on the airship to unlock the optional areas and collect the items from all of them except the Omega Ruins. The weapons and armor you get may be useful for your non-catching characters or for AP farming later. Pick up any crests and sigils you may want along the way as well.

(continued in next post)

Fallacia
8 years ago#3
(continued from previous post)

*****Spoilers*****

1. Calm Lands - Catch'em, this is required for collecting rewards and to fight caught monsters. Make sure you have catcher weapons for Wakka and Tidus at the very least. If you want Deathstrike and Stonestrike on either weapon are useful since they count for catching. Get the Sun Sigil if you like.
2. Besaid: While catching, if you forgot Jecht Sphere, grab it if a Dark Aeon isn't blocking it. Also finish cloister if not completed. Yuna's crest is in an alcove near the beach.
3. Kilika: While catching, finish cloister if not completed.
4. Luca: Don't forget the crest for Wakka in the locker room. The Aurochs are here as well if you need to re-recruit any members. If you've played enough games, get Wakka's Celestial.
5. Mi'ihen Highroad: Catch'em, and don't forget that encounter rates vary depending on which screen you're visiting. There should be a crest on the old road.
6. Mushroom Rock Road: Catch, pick up the Rusty Sword. Watch out for dark aeons. Use airship's alternate entry point if you've found it to get Rikku's celestial.
7. Djose Highroad: Catching, finish cloister if not completed.
8. Moonflow: Catch'em
10. Macalania: Catching, cloister if you didn't finish it, watch out for dark aeon. Get Kimahri's sigil if you want.

Now is the time to make sure you've done all of your cloisters. It's likely that by now, the only one you're missing (unless you've been blocked off by Dark Aeons) is the second round at the Zanarkand Dome. Get the Sun Crest if you missed it earlier, and watch out for Dark Bahamut.

Revisit Monster Arena to collect any rewards if you haven't already. You will have caught at least 4 of each flying-bug type enemies by now, so you will get 99 Purifying Salt. You can use these to customize a No-Encounters armor if you like, or you can do one of the next tasks:

11. Baaj Temple: Geosgaeno is fairly easy for an optional boss. If you have death ward and stoneward for Tidus, Wakka, or Rikku, they're helpful. He can drop a No-Encounters weapon, the only way to get No-Encounters on a weapon since it's normally an armor ability, so get that if you're trying to get all missable equipment. It's worth resetting if you want a complete weapon inventory. It doesn't matter who gets the weapon since it works on any equipped character. Grab Lulu's celestial if you want it. Get Anima if you've completed all of the cloisters.

12. Cavern of the Stolen Fayth/Sunken Caver: Catch monsters. If you don't have enough money for Yojimbo, there's a Klikk-like enemy named Epaaj that can be easily killed outside the cavern that drops SoS Overdrive equipment that can sell for a nice sum. If you've been taking advantage of your catching rewards and steals to customize for money, you'll probably already have enough. Get Yojimbo if you don't have him. The Ghost enemies that you catch can be fought in the Arena to farm for No-Encounters armor as well. Watch out for Dark Yojimbo.

13. Thunder Plains: Monster Catching, now that you have no-encounters, you should try lightning dodging as well if you want the Sigil for Lulu. Get Spirit Lance for Kimahri if you want as well.
14. Gagazet: Catch them all. This will require some screen changing to do. Watch out for dark aeon. Get Kimahri's crest if you want. Collect reward from Monster Arena for next quest.

(continued in next post)

Fallacia
8 years ago#4

*****Spoilers*****

15. Remium Temple: You should have already been here to get the mirror, but there's still more to do. Defeat up to Bahamut for a reward, and go ahead and beat Yojimbo and Anima while you're at it. Get Magus Sisters from back now that you have both necessary key items, and beat them to finish the Belgemine quest and get Yuna's sigil. You can do the race again if you want to try for a cheap customization for Break HP Limit.
16. Bikanel: Catch them all. There's a crest around here as well. Do the Cactuar Quest. Trying to enter Home will either result in fighting a Dark Aeon or an accidental Home Reset (otherwise known as the New Game+) glitch. Be careful on that last one since messing up the earlier Via Purifico gates can cause you to be permanently stuck with no way to get back to the end of the game.

You should pick up any weapons/crests/sigils you've ignored up until now if you want them. You should now have the ability to fully activate any of the Celestial Weapons you want except for Wakka's if you haven't been playing Blitzball. Since you can easily reset data to change league prizes and recruit excellent players to make early games easy, you can do that. You can also exit and re-enter the blitzball screen to change Tournament prizes if you haven't already committed to a tourney. Once you have all of his overdrives and the sigil, you can fully activate his celestial as well. This can be done in 24-26 games thanks to resetting data and alting for tourney prizes. Once you've made sure you've done all of the data resetting you want to do, go recruit Durren from the path near the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth if you don't want to miss him.

17. Omega Ruins: Make sure someone has First Strike in your active party at all times. Ignore the on-field treasure chests for now as well. Aside from being a source of gil thanks to Mimics giving 50,000 (100,000 with Gillionaire) gil any time you activate and beat them, there's a specific reason we're here. Catching monsters is important, but you'll want to stick near a Save Sphere and try to catch Varuna. It can be petrified, so a catching weapon with Stonetouch or Stonestrike should work. Now that Varuna is available, you can farm him with Stonetouch/Stonestrike in the Arena for easy AP and nice 4x empty slotted armor drops. Double/Triple AP weapons work well here, and you should do this at least until you can overkill Varuna regularly with attacks instead of relying on petrification.

Back to the Ruins with your boosted stats, you should be able to catch things quite easily. Stay near the Save Sphere and catch away. Do keep someone with First Strike in your active party *at all times* while here. Preferably with either Flee or Provoke. Preferably Provoke. With Provoke, that Great Malboro ambush won't be able to use Bad Breath on you anymore. It also makes some other enemies quite harmless. Once you're done catching, collect your rewards, try to have more than 1.4 million gil, save, and start heading toward the bosses. Steal a few times to get Doors to Tomorrow items from Ultima Weaon, then you can bribe Ultima Weapon for up to 99 Pendulums. With 1,400,000 gil, you'll likely get anywhere from 60-99 Pendulums. While troublesome, backtracking to save may be worth it. Continue on and brave through the encounters (catch any new enemies you see, and don't forget how useful provoke is) and fight Omega. Have Kimahri learn Super Nova if you like but mostly, just try to kick its hind end. If you're fighting the PAL/Int version that has a million HP, it may take a while, but the original NTSC version only have 99,999 HP. Try to steal some Gambler Spirits if you like.

(continued in next post)

Fallacia
8 years ago#5

*****Spoilers*****

There's also a chest-quest in the Omega Ruins that can vanish if you open a "wrong" chest. If you manage to open all 12 chests in the ruins, you get 99 Warp Spheres. If you open a "wrong" chest or leave before opening them all, you only get the rewards up to your previous chest and the rest vanish, killing the quest. There is no correct method (regardless of what the previously removed erroneous "timing method" faqs said) to opening them all as there is just a 1/240 chance of doing it. The rewards really aren't that useful once you have full access to the monster arena to easily steal and kill for teleport/return/friend spheres, so it's just a nice bonus. Do this on your own time whenever you like, but don't obsess over it. If you don't want to lose the quest, then just don't open any chests.

18. Final Dungeon: Monster catching, items, bosses. There's a save point before the point of no return, so as long as you save when necessary, you should be able to reload your game immediately if you accidentally beat the game.

19. All that's left aside from a few random scenes and rewards (Clasko on the boat, Luzzu in Besaid, Movie/Music Spheres in Luca, Blitzball in general) are optional super bosses. If you have the Int/PAL versions, this will include those Dark Aeons that may have prevented you from doing earlier sidequests. With the Monster Arena fully open and having all of the materials needed, you should be able Customize or (preferably) farm a few more sphere levels until you can beat One-Eye for three slotted Triple Overdrive weapons. Do the Don Tonberry/Cactuar King tricks to gain millions of AP in a few battles, and you should be set for strength.

20. Monster Arena Finale: Kill all of the species creations, area creations, and original creations. Once you finally beat Nemesis and his 10,000,000 HP, you'll have completed the arena and the hardest enemies in the original releases of the game. Now the only thing left is to max your stats. If you have the International/PAL versions of the game, you have one more little quest to do after stat maxing.

21. Optional Super-Super Bosses: The Dark Aeons in all their glory can be fought throughout Spira. Valefor in Besaid, Ifrit in Bikanel, Ixion in the Thunder Plains, Shiva at Macalania Temple, Bahamut at Zanarkand Ruins, Anima at Mt. Gagazet, Yojimbo at the Sunken Cavern, and Magus Sisters at Mushroom Rock Road. Finally Penance can be fought via Airship. Do note that you can farm Dark Yojimbo for armor so long as you don't do all of the battles and Penance's arms can be farmed (killed multiple times per battle at that) for Master Spheres so long as you don't kill the main body before escaping.

*****End Spoilers*****

There's probably some stuff I'm forgetting as well, but that should be the main gist of the sidequests that you'll want to do. It will likely take nearly 100 hours to do everything once you include the time taken for stat maxing and creating your "ultimate" armor setups in addition to beating all of the bosses. If you decide to do everything in Blitzball as well, that'll add even more time.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Fallacia
8 years ago#6
With as few people that I imagine will read all of that, I don't imagine very many would notice that I mis-numbered my list, skipping from 8 to 10. That was an error from moving things around on the list to make the sidequest order more convenient (specifically, trying to put No-Encounters opportunities before the Thunder Plains), not an accidental omission of something I had planned on saying.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

proadam
8 years ago#7
Ok so I went to bed immediately after posting this thread, and am pleasantly surprised to see such an in-depth response happen overnight.

Thanks so much Fallacia, I will now read its entirety, and post again regarding any concerns.

Thanks again.

proadam
8 years ago#8
Just to clarify, I am playing the North American version of the game.

Thanks for the progression guide.

I have only one concern, and it is regarding blitzball. I am very unfamiliar with the prizes/league/tournament format of the minigame. That being said, I have already gone through SIN and completed up until the point of no return. However, I made sure to recruit Durren for 50 games, before heading for sin.

Is this going to be a problem? What does the data reset specifically do, and will I be able to complete all of the blitzball stuff (only concerned with learning all of Tidus' techs, Wakka's overdrives, and getting wakka's celestial)? It is now apparent to me that I will not be able to use the data reset (whatever that function does), because I will lose Durren in the process, and I plan on keeping him on contract forever because he is missable.

Thanks for any input you can give me here.

User Info: ferdk16

ferdk16
8 years ago#9
Yup, to keep Durren you'll have to avoid the Reset Data method. Which in turn makes BB a pain in the ass.

For every League prize you'll have to do the following:

-Win the current league.
-Chosee to EXIT as soon as you're asked from the "league finish" screen.
-Save
-Enter BB menu, if the league prize you want is there, win the league to get it. If it isn't, then reset the game, load the save and check again. Rinse and repeat until prize shows.

You'll have to do that for both leagues in order to get Wakka's goodies, one time to get Status Reels and one more time to get his Sigil.
Latest cover: Terra's Theme (Final Fantasy VI) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGUTs0Eiq0M&hd=1

proadam
8 years ago#10
hmm.

"pain in the ass" is a little subjective. Seeing as the other method with data reset could be considered a pain as well. Can you please specify why the data reset is better, and perhaps how many more hours I'm gonna have to play blitzball by doing the regular method?

Is it worth starting a new file solely because of this? Will blitzball take so many more hours that it would make more sense to start a new file and leave Sin alone until blitzball is done and I can recruit durren before doing sin?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. best order for endgame content?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A