• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. How long does it take to get from Besaid to Zanarkand without stopping?

User Info: gearofages

gearofages
9 years ago#1
Has anyone ever timed it?

The "pilgrimage" doesn't seem so impressive without all of the stops.
PSN:SeaOfRage

User Info: decoy51

decoy51
9 years ago#2
Is that with or without no encounter?

User Info: gearofages

gearofages
9 years ago#3
With.
PSN:SeaOfRage

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
9 years ago#4
I was curious, so I gave it a try. My time from Besaid - Monks' Chamber to Dome - The Beyond was 27:54. That's without using any chocobos or waystones.

I wonder how that compares to the farthest points of other FFs...
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
9 years ago#5
Huh, looks like I jog more than the distance of Spira every day.

While I imagine I know the answer to some of these, that's taking the ship from Besaid to Luca and immediately taking the fastest route to Mi'ihen, taking the fastest route directly to Djose Highroad and the Moonflow, skipping the Travel Agency path in the Thunder Plains, and immediately taking a right to exit from Macalania to the Calm Lands, correct?

Some FFs may be comparable, but others wont by a long shot. Most of the traveling time in the titles come from having to maneuver around obstacles that only hinder you until you do a certain quest. That's similar to Final Fantasy X in that you do have to go out of your way before you can take the straight path, but slightly different in how short the distances actually are, especially when considering world maps. The world maps on most of the games are relatively small. Without encounters and assuming obstacles like water and mountains could be traversed by foot, it might take, at most, two minutes to walk from the end of the map to the furthest opposite end without taking advantage of the square representation of toroidal map physics allowing you to jump from one side of the map to the other by looping.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Fallacia
9 years ago#6
Ignoring Daryl's Tomb reference of Final Fantasy VI, those previously mentioned "obstacles" do give some extra depth to these words. If you can't get from Damcyan to Fabul without going from the world map to a mountain path, you add that to the list as well. It just becomes hard to determine how you're going to time things when you do have to consider dead end points. Using Final Fantasy IV as an example, the trip from Mt. Ordeals to Fabul would require taking devil's road in Mysidia after crossing the continent (fine), mist cave (fine), and then passing through mist, only that can't really be done, so you would need to use an airship to quickly reposition yourself to the lower portion of green prior to the deserts below Kaipo and head north traverse through the watery caves. That's all well and good until you reach the end of Damcyan's desert where you need the hovercraft to reach the next land mass so you can take Mt. Hobbs toward Fabul. You just have to decide exactly when and where you start and stop the timer.

This mostly applies to every Final Fantasy prior to IX. While yes, VII and VIII do have sizable worlds, I've actually used a Walk Through Obstacles code to free-roam the first disc of Final Fantasy IX (though the map still only shows the Mist Continent) and let me tell you, that world is a whoooole lot bigger than it seems without a chocobo or mechanical means of travel, especially while traversing mountain areas that force you to go up in elevation like the Mist Continent. It still doesn't take longer than a few minutes from one corner of the map to another while walking over obstacles, but it's still quite sizable. The longest linear path you could even take on that requires taking advantage of early game paths like Ice Cavern, the mid-game Gates, Fossil Roo, and going through Condie Pettie's additional path. Assuming you knew exactly where to go and had no encounters, it still probably wouldn't take quite as long as Final Fantasy X's.

XII is actually one that I would put up on the list if you don't use Gate Crystals. Taking Raithwall -> Archades/Balfonheim, Stillshrine -> Archades, or Stillshrine -> Balfonheim would probably take a bit of time. I've not compared the other two to determine which would take longer, but I imagine to or from Stillshrine and Balfonheim would be the longest. I imagine Raithwaill ->Archades/Balfonheim would be the shortest paths since the sandseas are actually pretty fast to traverse without having to worry about encounters. Without taking Zertinan caverns, I imagine Raithwall -> Stillshrine would also take a while, but still not as much as a trip from Stillshrine to either Archades or Balfonheim. Balfonheim itself is likely the winner between those two. Sochen may be the more annoying on a first playthrough, but Cerobi Steppe is quite a large and out of the way map.

XIII also qualifies. Even ignoring that there are times when the characters are walking in opposite directions or taking airships to get to places faster, just walking from one point to another in the early-game takes long enough without also considering the distances you'll be traveling by the time you get past chapter eleven. That's still not nearly comparable to the distances you'll travel if you try to do all of the cieth stone missions, but it's still quite a bit.

User Info: berkice

berkice
9 years ago#7

As a crazy youtube video idea, I actually tried this, I did an ODINS challenge (One Day In No Saves), and I also added "NENNE" so I couldnt escape from any encounters... I am an experienced player so I knew what to expect for most of the game (though it was the 1st time in 4-5 years I actually used the sphere grid :P), but I made it to the final save sphere at around 22 hours, for a final completion time of around 23:45.. There was only 1 save made during the game (had to stop recording), but I pretty much went through the entire game... So it is possible to do it in under 24 hours without stopping...

Mr Hangman
9 years ago#8
Fallacia posted...
While I imagine I know the answer to some of these, that's taking the ship from Besaid to Luca and immediately taking the fastest route to Mi'ihen, taking the fastest route directly to Djose Highroad and the Moonflow, skipping the Travel Agency path in the Thunder Plains, and immediately taking a right to exit from Macalania to the Calm Lands, correct?

I took the ship from Besaid to Kilika, then to Luca. I don't think it's an option to go straight from Besaid to Luca, is it? The rest of those are correct, that's what I did.

For most FFs it would be hard to define a route, since plot points are often required to move past a barrier, or you need to use a vehicle to proceed. For VII you could try Corneo's Mansion to Rocket Town, taking the Cargo Ship and the buggy. Then if you allow using the Tiny Bronco to get to Bone Village, you could tack on Bone Village to Holzoff's Cabin or even to the Whirlwind Maze.

In XII, my guess for the longest route would be Archades to Omega Mk. XII's lair in the Great Crystal. Maybe I'll give that one a try too...
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

Fallacia
9 years ago#9
That is a good one. I hadn't considered the Great Crystal. You would probably have to check the distance from the Archades to the Phon entrace to Tchita compared to Balfonheim to that same entrance to see which one is longer between those two to see what difference Sochen and Cerobi Steppe make. One of those two will definitely hold the place as most out of the way cities on Valendia.

For Kerwon, I'm also curious about how out of the way you can get by using the Henne Mines. It wouldn't be nearly as bad as the Great Crystal and probably not as much as the Stillshrine, but would still take quite a while. The number of areas you could attempt and the many paths you can take screw the estimates a bit, but allow for a lot of different possible routes.

Mr Hangman
9 years ago#10
Well I gave XII a shot. From Archades / Highgarden Terrace to Phon Coast / Rava's Pass was 13:30. I didn't try Balfonheim. After the 28 minutes it took to traverse Spira, I only made it to Golmore Jungle. Getting to from there to the depths of the Great Crystal took about 20 minutes, for a total trip of about 50 minutes. I say about because I got slightly disoriented in there despite having a map, and there were some gates up in paths I might have otherwise taken. Either way Ivalice is definitely quite a bit bigger.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy X
  3. How long does it take to get from Besaid to Zanarkand without stopping?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A