• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Benefit of Lionheart Disc 1?

User Info: Dead_Orion

Dead_Orion
1 month ago#1
So I'm picking this game up again after a long time away from it. Tempted to do a Lionheart disc 1 run since I never have before. I thought as a kid if you got Lionheart disc 1, Squall would only do either Rough Divide or Lionheart for his limit breaks, so you'd get Lionheart ender much more frequently by not getting his other gunblade upgrades. Looking into it a little now, I saw something saying getting Lionheart disc 1 makes all his limit break enders available. Is that true?

If that is true, is there any real benefit to getting Lionheart on disc 1 aside from the increased attack dmg and the possibility of randomly doing Lionheart ender sooner in the game than you should typically have it?

The thought of Squall only having two possible limit break enders, Rough Divide and Lionheart, and thus making Lionheart more likely to come out was appealing to me. However, if getting Lionheart on disc 1 doesn't really change the probability of what limit break ender happens, I don't really see the point in investing all the time to get it early on. Can someone clarify how this works for me?

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 month ago#2
It doesn't seem to have any such impact. I still get it if I can (obtaining the required Dragon Fangs is somewhat luck-based, as it's the only required item that can't be Card Modded) because I like to be overpowered.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .

User Info: dillydally123

dillydally123
1 month ago#3
I don't think there's any difference between Lionheart on Disc 1 and on other discs, it's just about getting it sooner to be overpowered at the start/middle. Just like refining tons of good magic at the start, you just get it sooner.

User Info: justhelpmepleas

justhelpmepleas
1 month ago#4
Yes, getting lionheart gets you all 4 enders. 25% chance of lion heart being finisher.

User Info: sniperfox29

sniperfox29
1 month ago#5
There is no actual point of getting the LH on disc one, all it offers is a slight increase in strength and a 25% chance of the fabled finisher activating IF a finisher is chosen.

Interestingly enough, though, if want you wanted actually worked (getting the LH straight from the Revolver and skipping the other two limit breaks) you wouldn't actually see an increase in the number of times the LH activates due to the way the limits are chosen.

Basically when the game decides to use a finisher (this can be increased with a higher crisis level) it tries to use ANY of the limits Squall COULD use regardless of whether or not he CAN use them. It then asks if it can be used, and if not moves down and repeats on the next limit.

Therefore if you only had Rough Divide and Lionheart available (hypothetically) then it would still check Fated Circle and Blasting Zone, decide it can't use them and then move on down until it hits Rough Divide.

So you would see Rough Divide 75% of the time, and Lionheart 25% of the time, the same net result as if all four were available (25% chance for LH and 75% chance for anything else). There is NO WAY to change the odds of which finisher is chosen.
I love to watch you cry
GT - Sniperfox29
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: dillydally123

dillydally123
1 month ago#6
sniperfox29 posted...
There is no actual point of getting the LH on disc one, all it offers is a slight increase in strength and a 25% chance of the fabled finisher activating IF a finisher is chosen.

Interestingly enough, though, if want you wanted actually worked (getting the LH straight from the Revolver and skipping the other two limit breaks) you wouldn't actually see an increase in the number of times the LH activates due to the way the limits are chosen.

Basically when the game decides to use a finisher (this can be increased with a higher crisis level) it tries to use ANY of the limits Squall COULD use regardless of whether or not he CAN use them. It then asks if it can be used, and if not moves down and repeats on the next limit.

Therefore if you only had Rough Divide and Lionheart available (hypothetically) then it would still check Fated Circle and Blasting Zone, decide it can't use them and then move on down until it hits Rough Divide.

So you would see Rough Divide 75% of the time, and Lionheart 25% of the time, the same net result as if all four were available (25% chance for LH and 75% chance for anything else). There is NO WAY to change the odds of which finisher is chosen.

This is interesting. Is the FF Wiki wrong? For Shear Trigger/Cutting Trigger it says 75% chance of Fated Circle and 25% chance of Rough Divide. For Flame Saber/Twin Lance/Punishment it says 25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 50% Blasting Zone. This doesn't appear to match up with what your saying about it would be Rough Divide 75% of the time and Lionheart 25% of the time.

Edit: Link: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Renzokuken
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: sniperfox29

sniperfox29
1 month ago#7
dillydally123 posted...
sniperfox29 posted...
There is no actual point of getting the LH on disc one, all it offers is a slight increase in strength and a 25% chance of the fabled finisher activating IF a finisher is chosen.

Interestingly enough, though, if want you wanted actually worked (getting the LH straight from the Revolver and skipping the other two limit breaks) you wouldn't actually see an increase in the number of times the LH activates due to the way the limits are chosen.

Basically when the game decides to use a finisher (this can be increased with a higher crisis level) it tries to use ANY of the limits Squall COULD use regardless of whether or not he CAN use them. It then asks if it can be used, and if not moves down and repeats on the next limit.

Therefore if you only had Rough Divide and Lionheart available (hypothetically) then it would still check Fated Circle and Blasting Zone, decide it can't use them and then move on down until it hits Rough Divide.

So you would see Rough Divide 75% of the time, and Lionheart 25% of the time, the same net result as if all four were available (25% chance for LH and 75% chance for anything else). There is NO WAY to change the odds of which finisher is chosen.

This is interesting. Is the FF Wiki wrong? For Shear Trigger/Cutting Trigger it says 75% chance of Fated Circle and 25% chance of Rough Divide. For Flame Saber/Twin Lance/Punishment it says 25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 50% Blasting Zone. This doesn't appear to match up with what your saying about it would be Rough Divide 75% of the time and Lionheart 25% of the time.

Edit: Link: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Renzokuken


No, the wiki says the same as I just did.

For Shear Trigger - 75% chance of Fated Circle is because it will also try to select BZ and LH.
For Flame Sabre - 25$ chance of RD, 25% chance of FC, and 50% chance of BZ because it also tries for LH

IF you ONLY had Lionheart and Rough Divide, Blasting Zone and Fated Circle would still be tried to be selected, but fail therefore moving downwards until Rough Divide.

Thus meaning 75% chance for RD, and 25% of Lionheart.
I love to watch you cry
GT - Sniperfox29

User Info: dillydally123

dillydally123
1 month ago#8
sniperfox29 posted...
dillydally123 posted...
sniperfox29 posted...
There is no actual point of getting the LH on disc one, all it offers is a slight increase in strength and a 25% chance of the fabled finisher activating IF a finisher is chosen.

Interestingly enough, though, if want you wanted actually worked (getting the LH straight from the Revolver and skipping the other two limit breaks) you wouldn't actually see an increase in the number of times the LH activates due to the way the limits are chosen.

Basically when the game decides to use a finisher (this can be increased with a higher crisis level) it tries to use ANY of the limits Squall COULD use regardless of whether or not he CAN use them. It then asks if it can be used, and if not moves down and repeats on the next limit.

Therefore if you only had Rough Divide and Lionheart available (hypothetically) then it would still check Fated Circle and Blasting Zone, decide it can't use them and then move on down until it hits Rough Divide.

So you would see Rough Divide 75% of the time, and Lionheart 25% of the time, the same net result as if all four were available (25% chance for LH and 75% chance for anything else). There is NO WAY to change the odds of which finisher is chosen.

This is interesting. Is the FF Wiki wrong? For Shear Trigger/Cutting Trigger it says 75% chance of Fated Circle and 25% chance of Rough Divide. For Flame Saber/Twin Lance/Punishment it says 25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 50% Blasting Zone. This doesn't appear to match up with what your saying about it would be Rough Divide 75% of the time and Lionheart 25% of the time.

Edit: Link: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Renzokuken


No, the wiki says the same as I just did.

For Shear Trigger - 75% chance of Fated Circle is because it will also try to select BZ and LH.
For Flame Sabre - 25$ chance of RD, 25% chance of FC, and 50% chance of BZ because it also tries for LH

IF you ONLY had Lionheart and Rough Divide, Blasting Zone and Fated Circle would still be tried to be selected, but fail therefore moving downwards until Rough Divide.

Thus meaning 75% chance for RD, and 25% of Lionheart.

Ah, I see. I guess that kind of makes sense... So with Flame Sabre the chance of LH is kind of absorbed into the chance of BZ? Like, if LH is successful it does BZ instead?

User Info: sniperfox29

sniperfox29
1 month ago#9
dillydally123 posted...
sniperfox29 posted...
dillydally123 posted...
sniperfox29 posted...
There is no actual point of getting the LH on disc one, all it offers is a slight increase in strength and a 25% chance of the fabled finisher activating IF a finisher is chosen.

Interestingly enough, though, if want you wanted actually worked (getting the LH straight from the Revolver and skipping the other two limit breaks) you wouldn't actually see an increase in the number of times the LH activates due to the way the limits are chosen.

Basically when the game decides to use a finisher (this can be increased with a higher crisis level) it tries to use ANY of the limits Squall COULD use regardless of whether or not he CAN use them. It then asks if it can be used, and if not moves down and repeats on the next limit.

Therefore if you only had Rough Divide and Lionheart available (hypothetically) then it would still check Fated Circle and Blasting Zone, decide it can't use them and then move on down until it hits Rough Divide.

So you would see Rough Divide 75% of the time, and Lionheart 25% of the time, the same net result as if all four were available (25% chance for LH and 75% chance for anything else). There is NO WAY to change the odds of which finisher is chosen.

This is interesting. Is the FF Wiki wrong? For Shear Trigger/Cutting Trigger it says 75% chance of Fated Circle and 25% chance of Rough Divide. For Flame Saber/Twin Lance/Punishment it says 25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 50% Blasting Zone. This doesn't appear to match up with what your saying about it would be Rough Divide 75% of the time and Lionheart 25% of the time.

Edit: Link: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Renzokuken


No, the wiki says the same as I just did.

For Shear Trigger - 75% chance of Fated Circle is because it will also try to select BZ and LH.
For Flame Sabre - 25$ chance of RD, 25% chance of FC, and 50% chance of BZ because it also tries for LH

IF you ONLY had Lionheart and Rough Divide, Blasting Zone and Fated Circle would still be tried to be selected, but fail therefore moving downwards until Rough Divide.

Thus meaning 75% chance for RD, and 25% of Lionheart.

Ah, I see. I guess that kind of makes sense... So with Flame Sabre the chance of LH is kind of absorbed into the chance of BZ? Like, if LH is successful it does BZ instead?


Yes.

The game selects the finisher FIRST and THEN bothers to see if it can actually use it. If it can't, it moves down to the next finisher and tries again.

So the 50% chance for the Blasting Zone finisher incorperates the failed check for Lionheart as well.

Thus why the old myth of getting Lionheart straight from the Revolver and "skipping" limits was doomed from the start.
I love to watch you cry
GT - Sniperfox29
#10
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Benefit of Lionheart Disc 1?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers