• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Sharing: T Rex Spam (Remastered)

User Info: midnight_plue

midnight_plue
4 weeks ago#1
Love the original, so when remastered came out I had to get it. So anyway here's my sharing:

Right after the opening sequence and Fire Cavern, I escape all random encounters (no level ups for the party) except Fasticalon on the beach to grind for Card ability.

Once I got the Card ability, I start Carding enemies and grind a fair bit on Fasticalons to get the Junction stats and magic refining abilities.

Then played a lot of Triple Triad and winning them. Cards except rare ones are being refined into magics for Junctions.

Once strength and magic stats looks ok, i enter the nearby forest. Save and then exit the game. Reload the game and the first encounter in forest is a T Rex. Hit it, heal up when necessary and card it. I save every time I card 1. If low on Cure, fight the lone Caterpillar and draw Cure from it. I escape if it is accompanied by Bite Bugs. On the plains near the mountain range you can fight Glacial Eyes for Cure ability, your pick.

You keep repeating the same routine: go to forest, save, exit game, reload, 1st forest encounter is a T Rex, card it, save, exit game, reload, rinse and repeat the cycle.

Initially it will be pretty hard to survive T Rex but after a while you will get the hang of it.

After Dollet, I got Siren and Diablos, played more Triple Triad, get better magics for Junctions and spam the T Rex encounter trick, learned all of the GF abilities, except the ones require them to be of certain level.

Currently my party members all maintained their original level except for Squall as he had to up 1 level to level 8, no matter what I do.

I hope it helps anyone who wants to look for an alternative to grind bulk AP for abilities.

User Info: loseswithluigi

loseswithluigi
4 weeks ago#2
I just junction every GF to Seifer at Dollet, kill Zell and Squall and grind it out for a while. Then do the same with Edea in disc 3 for the majority of GFs. You can keep Squall/everyone else at initial level and be OP if you are careful and use break to kill non cardable enemies you are forced to fight.

User Info: justhelpmepleas

justhelpmepleas
4 weeks ago#3
loseswithluigi posted...
I just junction every GF to Seifer at Dollet, kill Zell and Squall and grind it out for a while. Then do the same with Edea in disc 3 for the majority of GFs. You can keep Squall/everyone else at initial level and be OP if you are careful and use break to kill non cardable enemies you are forced to fight.

GF still gain AP and exp if the person that has them junctioned is dead. Better to split them up so exp is split.
(message deleted)

midnight_plue
4 weeks ago#5
loseswithluigi posted...

ah okay didn't have Break that time so can only escape. but yeah will be doing that for upcoming battles.

User Info: blackthunder329

blackthunder329
4 weeks ago#6
midnight_plue posted...
ah okay didn't have Break that time so can only escape. but yeah will be doing that for upcoming battles.

That's why using Seifer in Dollet is good. Squall and Zell are KO'd, and only Seifer gets EXP.
PSN Name Black-Thunder3
There are cheats for pc games??- cheatermaster

midnight_plue
4 weeks ago#7
blackthunder329 posted...
midnight_plue posted...

That's why using Seifer in Dollet is good. Squall and Zell are KO'd, and only Seifer gets EXP.

damn now i feel starting all over...

blackthunder329
4 weeks ago#8
midnight_plue posted...

Keep in mind that you can get a perfect score for the SeeD exam if you get to the naming screen for Ifrit, and let the timer reach 0 (the battle is won by this point), then talk to no one, do as Seifer commands, use Seifer to teach the GFs all of the abilities (don't forget to Card the Anacondors, Geezards, and any other nonhuman enemies), beat X-ATM098 on the bridge, and make it back to the beach with 25+ minutes on the clock.
PSN Name Black-Thunder3

blackthunder329
4 weeks ago#9
Oh, you can also get the rare card drops of certain enemies by getting 100 of their card, and just keep trying to Card them until the game gives it to you. It can be anywhere from 1-100+ tries, but you can get a very powerful deck before leaving for Dollet.
PSN Name Black-Thunder3
blackthunder329 posted...
midnight_plue posted...

Keep in mind that you can get a perfect score for the SeeD exam if you get to the naming screen for Ifrit, and let the timer reach 0 (the battle is won by this point), then talk to no one, do as Seifer commands, use Seifer to teach the GFs all of the abilities (don't forget to Card the Anacondors, Geezards, and any other nonhuman enemies), beat X-ATM098 on the bridge, and make it back to the beach with 25+ minutes on the clock.

I never understood the perfect score, I don't remember seeing anywhere in game where it stored what the score was, so why bother. If it'd because of initial seed rank and money, a few tests plus carding enemies will raise it.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Sharing: T Rex Spam (Remastered)
  • Post New Message