• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. should i get the remastered version on sale?

User Info: ToastyAnakin

ToastyAnakin
1 month ago#1
I know the ps1 version is the definitive version but I'm sorry I don't want to emulate the game or play on my ps2/ps3 via bc.

I just want a simple relatively hassle free pc port that doesnt require major modding. for those still here on the ps1 board do you think the remaster is worth it for that alone or are there still too many flaws to even justify a sale purchase?
"if gears can be done on the 360, than any game can be done on the 360" (Wisdom_Cube) "I am the content doesn't inst rest me yet"(theroc500)

User Info: TheGuyNamedWolf

TheGuyNamedWolf
1 month ago#2
It's worth it.

The biggest flaw is probably the 8-way only movement which is annoying at times, otherwise the rest are all pretty minor. The music glitch that plays MIDI of The Landing, the first time is avoidable, second time just mute the game and play the theme on youtube if it REALLY bothers you. No vibrate is eh.

On the plus side, the models look waaay better (basically PS2 quality instead of PS1), the x3 speed is really convenient when farming or even moving around large places, and being able to toggle encounters without having to equip and unequip enc-none is really nice.

Hell, you're getting the PC version so you can probably mod those flaws at some point. I got it on the Switch and I'm okay with it even if they never patch those (which realistically, they might only patch the music bug).
I was wrong.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#3
They removed the chocobo world for a graphic update that I didnt care about and make the new models clash horribly with the old ones.

So, it is a hard no for me. I rather play the prior steam version.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
1 month ago#4
To be fair, a lot of people never got to experience Chocobo World in the west as the pocketstation was never released in the west. I'm still hunting for one myself...
R.I.P. Throwback Mode - 23rd April 2014
Scottish Gamers unite - https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1374-scotland

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#5
Gunbladelad posted...
To be fair, a lot of people never got to experience Chocobo World in the west as the pocketstation was never released in the west. I'm still hunting for one myself...

https://ar.ebay.com/b/sony-pocketstation/bn_7024882933

It doesnt really seems to be that hard to get.

But the PC version of the game (both on disk and Steam) have the Chocobo World.
Apparently, they made the Remaster version of the game from the PC version, so they had to cut the chocobo world.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

User Info: Transformers27

Transformers27
1 month ago#6
This remaster is worth it for me. I bought it knowing what to expect. I didn't encounter any bugs reported by players on the remaster board such as GF not drawable from bosses, savedata deleted, crashing and many others. With 3x speed, it's even faster to do stuffs now. You can still die in god mode if the enemy hits equal to or more than your current hp. Background could have been better and npcs could look much better but for a quick crash grab, you can see it's a lazy port. Could list more but I'm lazy at the moment.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. should i get the remastered version on sale?
  • Post New Message