• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why Rinoa? (Big Spoilers)

User Info: TheGuyNamedWolf

TheGuyNamedWolf
1 month ago#1
Other than being the female lead... why did Ultimecia choose her again?

At 17 (long after when most sorceress realize their powers IIRC), all she can do is fire frisbees and throw her dog at enemies... meanwhile, Quistes can use Blue Magic, and Selphie can spam magic up the wazoo, all without any GF's. If it's because Ultimecia in Edea sensed latent sorceress powers in her during their first encounter... then why the f*** did she just try to kill her with a couple of lizards? Her parents are also just some general guy and some piano lady.

How the f*** does Rinoa become a sorceress that Ultimecia chooses over literally anyone else again? And don't give me that fan theory "Rinoa is Ultimecia" s***.

I don't know how this never bothered me in my first 5 or 6 playthroughs of the game.
I was wrong.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: justhelpmepleas

justhelpmepleas
1 month ago#2
Edea passed her powers onto Rinoa without her knowing and that’s why.

TheGuyNamedWolf
1 month ago#3
justhelpmepleas posted...

So it was just dumb luck then.
I was wrong.

User Info: phiefer3

phiefer3
1 month ago#4
justhelpmepleas posted...

I don't think that explanation really works. As I'm pretty sure the 'without her knowing' bit is because Ulty is the one that passed Edea's powers onto Rinoa. Though to be fair we don't really have a whole lot of info on how sorceress powers are passed on.

As far as "why Rinoa?"....Why not?

Does there need to be some particular reason? Being on the verge of defeat she may have assumed Edea was going to be killed, so she needed to pass on her powers to someone else so that she'd have another sorceress to possess, in which case Rinoa just happened to be there.

We can also play self-fulfilling prophecy angle. Ulty being from the future means that she may well be fully aware of how the events of the game (pre-time compression) play out. Meaning that she is well aware of the parade assassination attempt before it happens, is aware that the missile attack will fail (think about it, did she really want B-Garden destroyed? Ellone was there during the attack), is aware that Edea is defeated during the Garden/Garden battle, and aware that Rinoa (or perhaps just 'a girl') would be taken to Esthar where she would be used to awaken Adel. In other words, Ulty knows how history plays out and she is simply "playing her part" in that history to try to achieve her goal (ie Sir Bahamut's Unjust Persecution theory from his Time/Ultimecia Plot FAQ). She wouldn't necessarily know the outcome of Time Compression, since it manipulates time itself.
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
Everytime you see him, the phiefer's just so hype. He's dope on the board and he's magic on the mic. ~fidormula

TheGuyNamedWolf
1 month ago#5
phiefer3 posted...
As far as "why Rinoa?"....Why not?

Does there need to be some particular reason? Being on the verge of defeat she may have assumed Edea was going to be killed, so she needed to pass on her powers to someone else so that she'd have another sorceress to possess, in which case Rinoa just happened to be there.

So were Quistis and Selphie who had more magical prowess at that point.

We can also play self-fulfilling prophecy angle. Ulty being from the future means that she may well be fully aware of how the events of the game (pre-time compression) play out. Meaning that she is well aware of the parade assassination attempt before it happens, is aware that the missile attack will fail (think about it, did she really want B-Garden destroyed? Ellone was there during the attack), is aware that Edea is defeated during the Garden/Garden battle, and aware that Rinoa (or perhaps just 'a girl') would be taken to Esthar where she would be used to awaken Adel. In other words, Ulty knows how history plays out and she is simply "playing her part" in that history to try to achieve her goal (ie Sir Bahamut's Unjust Persecution theory from his Time/Ultimecia Plot FAQ). She wouldn't necessarily know the outcome of Time Compression, since it manipulates time itself.

Now that is a better reason on why she'd choose Rinoa.
I was wrong.

User Info: 1Tekkaman

1Tekkaman
1 month ago#6
So were Quistis and Selphie who had more magical prowess at that point.

It's implied that not every girl can become a sorceress, though the criteria are unclear. Magical prowess or no, it is entirely possible Quistis and Selphie lacked that potential.
I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 month ago#7
I always figured it was a matter of proximity.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
4 weeks ago#8
There's no reason for her to pick Rinoa specifically, except writer convenience. If it had been Quistis or Selphie, then the course of the story throughout all of Disc 3 and the beginning of Disc 4 would have been different.
(message deleted)

User Info: loseless

loseless
4 weeks ago#10
I don't believe there's one particular in-game reason for Rinoa being chosen over Quistis or Selphie. But then again, it doesn't have to be one.

Given that the story was built around Squall and his relation with Rinoa, she was the obvious choice. Selphie or Quistis wouldn't have had the same impact nor allowed for the same emotional involvement. Thus it was written that way.

I also think Ellone knowing Quistis and Selphie played a part in it, since Rinoa was the only party member she didn't know. Then again it might be unrelated, but I do feel it is relevant.

When writing anything, you are often confronted with choices and how to justify them. The latter is not always easy, but when you have three equality valid possibilities, you chose the more rewarding one, the one with more potential. Rinoa was clearly the case. And while the game does not completely justify why her, it never feels force or contrived. She enters the room at the key moment, which makes sense, given her eagerness to prove herself useful and help Squall. And if you have Zell and Irvine in the party, it makes even more sense. So I don't really have a problem with it.

There are much worse writing decisions in this game...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why Rinoa? (Big Spoilers)
  • Topic Closed