• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. How do you divide up your GFs? (Spoilers possible)

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#1
Currently replaying on PS1 discs and I’m just before Timber, so I have Quetzalcoatl, Shiva, Ifrit, Siren, and Diablos.
Right away I’ve done one thing different from EVERY playthrough I’ve done starting with September 1999, because I used to always put Diablos on Squall. The two deciding factors were that 1.) Diablos added more options that Zell needed (think I used to do Shiva/Siren on Squall and Ifrit on Zell so this makes sense I think) and 2.) for the first time I considered that Diablos has the rare Hit-J, which makes NO sense on Squall since he already has full Hit.

This time, so far it’s like this:
Squall: Ifrit, Siren
Zell: Shiva, Diablos
Selphie: Quetzalcoatl

Obviously Selphie’s left wanting for now, so I could drop Brothers on her when I get it, but then again I could rearrange a bit around that time since I’ll be getting Carbuncle as well shortly after, so I could swap things around to more-efficiently cover my bases.

I have the great blessing of forgetting a lot of nuance details on replays of old games so games rarely get old for me, but unfortunately I also end up lacking a lot of info for planning ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#2
That seems pretty much all you can do for now. It would be better when options open up and you can buy junction scrolls.
[Your hair is winter fire, January embers, My heart burns there too.]

User Info: WT_Neptune

WT_Neptune
1 month ago#3
Committed for the whole game;

Squall - Leviathan
Quistis- Cerberus
Seifer- Ifrit
Rinoa- Shiva
Irvine- Diablos
Zell- Brothers
Selphie- Carbuncle
Edea- Alexander

Laguna is Squall
Ward is Zell
Kiros is Irvine
As long as there are humans, the irrational will find its voice and means of spreading
MK11: SZ/Frost; SamSho: Sogetsu; SmUlt: Greninja; SFV: Kolin; BBCF: Jin

sano83
1 month ago#4
What do you do before you have Leviathan? dont junction anything to Squall?

And what do you do with Ifrit after Seifer leaves?

User Info: WT_Neptune

WT_Neptune
1 month ago#5
sano83 posted...
What do you do before you have Leviathan? dont junction anything to Squall?

And what do you do with Ifrit after Seifer leaves?

I start out with Leviathan because Nomura likes me more.

And Ifrit sits and collects dust. I boost up Ifrit really strong and make Seifer and Quistis the early game OP characters.
As long as there are humans, the irrational will find its voice and means of spreading
MK11: SZ/Frost; SamSho: Sogetsu; SmUlt: Greninja; SFV: Kolin; BBCF: Jin
(edited 1 month ago)

sano83
1 month ago#6
That is fair.

User Info: TheGuyNamedWolf

TheGuyNamedWolf
1 month ago#7
Early on I try to give everyone STR-J, then the next priority is HP-J on everyone, then I try to get status and elemental ATK and DEF on everyone. Squall gets first dibs on all of those of course. Once you almost have all the GFs or by the time you have all of them, I try to spread it out so that everyone has SPD-J and x3-4 abilities, since by that point having HP-J, STR-J, and 2-4 Status Def on everyone is easy, and these are the most important things besides Bonus on level if you care enough about those.

I have a kinda similar setup to what you have there at the start as a result.
I was wrong.

User Info: Ariax

Ariax
4 weeks ago#8
I tend to give Squall the Shiva GF and the Ifrit GF to Zell early on. I do this because Squall's gunblade trigger makes up for the lack of a strength bonus (for a while, at least). Selphie's Limit Break doesn't use strength, so I make her a dedicated magic user.

As I progress in the game, I create three groups of GFs that I swap between characters as needed. I don't distribute the GFs throughout my entire party until near the end of the game (in other words, when I'm about the fight the final bosses). When I do that, I do some serious GF ability tweaking to balance out all of the characters.

User Info: FactoidHunter

FactoidHunter
4 weeks ago#9
I just give matching stat junction so it's covered on the most on each character. I try to focus on giving the magic stat to each of the three because when you get to a boss with a new magic to draw, you want to be able to do it quickly.
I split up the vit junctions, I believe that’s shiva, thunder bird, and carbuncle, and also give them auto haste. I usually give diablos to someone not squall and try to give everyone hp and str junctions, which is freaking annoying when they force remove my GFs. I never have any need for magic junction, as the only offensive magic I cast is meltdown and I don’t draw magic, I refine it. so I dont bother making sure everyone has that. I try to get everyone to have spd junction as early as possible. Squall always gets bahumut. I love auto protect. It’s not great, but it’s such a cool concept to me! If I plan to level, I make sure I have as many stat level up bonuses as possible, but honestly, I almost always have enc none on.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. How do you divide up your GFs? (Spoilers possible)
  • Post New Message