• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. IS the remaster worth it?

User Info: Azuredoragon

Azuredoragon
1 month ago#1
I saw the preview on steam... it doesn't seem that they improved the graphics that much.... Or did they just release a really bad preview?

Monsters and GF's don't really look all that different.... Just the playable character models.

User Info: RetroPWN

RetroPWN
1 month ago#2
It does largely seem to be the character models have recieved all the attention. The menus have also recieved an hd upgrade, but thats such a small aspect you dont notice much. While its actually very cool to be able to see character faces and details on npcs I've never noticed before, overall, its the same. Some cards have had their images changed as well, though I dont think it was for the better.
The only reason to phurchase this game is for the bonus abilities. 3x speed, unlimited ap gauge and limits, and no random encounters. These are fun if you have played the game to death before, and make drawing from enemies so much easier. But they kill the games original mechanics and detract from the fun.
I might say its worth it though, because card games load instantly when initiated, i think overall load times have improved and for $20 I dont regret it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: WhiteBaitKent

WhiteBaitKent
1 month ago#3
^yeah Imo the load times alone are worth it. Everything else is a bonus. It is a shame there's no analog movement though
The cancer to video games is if I fail it is the games fault mentality.
Failure is part of growth and everyone wants to skip this and go right to the success

User Info: Azuredoragon

Azuredoragon
1 month ago#4
WhiteBaitKent posted...
^yeah Imo the load times alone are worth it. Everything else is a bonus. It is a shame there's no analog movement though

Not even if you plug in a USB controller?

User Info: Gunbladelad

Gunbladelad
1 month ago#5
Based on my own personal experiences (early game - I've played until the completion of the Dollet mission at the start), there are some good - and bad things about it.

From what I've heard, the pocketstation minigame has been removed entirely - rendering several items (and minimog) entirely unavailable (but then again, on the PS1, unless you imported a pocketstation this was the case anyway) - and several character models don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the game (Cid pre-dollet mission is one example I've come across where he has an extremely low-resolution model compared to all the other characters ingame) - but from what I've come across so far, it seems to be an OK conversion of the game - so far.
R.I.P. Throwback Mode - 23rd April 2014
Scottish Gamers unite - https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1374-scotland

User Info: WhiteBaitKent

WhiteBaitKent
1 month ago#6
Gunbladelad posted...
Based on my own personal experiences (early game - I've played until the completion of the Dollet mission at the start), there are some good - and bad things about it.

From what I've heard, the pocketstation minigame has been removed entirely - rendering several items (and minimog) entirely unavailable (but then again, on the PS1, unless you imported a pocketstation this was the case anyway) - and several character models don't seem to mesh well with the rest of the game (Cid pre-dollet mission is one example I've come across where he has an extremely low-resolution model compared to all the other characters ingame) - but from what I've come across so far, it seems to be an OK conversion of the game - so far.

Those items can be gotten with Angelo Search now.
The cancer to video games is if I fail it is the games fault mentality.
Failure is part of growth and everyone wants to skip this and go right to the success

User Info: RetroPWN

RetroPWN
1 month ago#7
Azuredoragon posted...
WhiteBaitKent posted...

I dont understand. I strictly use my analogs

User Info: _EggplantWizard

_EggplantWizard
1 month ago#8
RetroPWN posted...
Azuredoragon posted...
WhiteBaitKent posted...

I dont understand. I strictly use my analogs

The analog controls work, but it's not true analog. If you rotate the stick in a circle, it only registers eight directions - not an actual full circle. It also doesn't register if you slightly move the stick to make the character walk. The character always runs (fortunately, you can make the character walk with the circle button).
It's not game-breaking in any way, but it's not true analog.
Currently playing: Bloodborne, Borderlands 2, Final Fantasy VIII Remastered, and LittleBigPlanet.

User Info: Holy_Cloud105

Holy_Cloud105
1 month ago#9
There's other issues like the midi music bug, laggy menus because the game doesn't run battle menus at 60fps, and no soft reset which makes manipulating triple triad harder.
Official Aqua of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: EstharMan3

EstharMan3
1 month ago#10
The textures on the world map are absolutely horrific. Having just completed it, honestly I'd say don't bother, at least not until it goes on sale
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. IS the remaster worth it?
  • Post New Message