• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why is Squall "admired" by everyone if he is cold and almost rude?
(message deleted)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
1 month ago#12
Burdicus posted...
DMAN2501 posted...
Also, for what its worth, squall was written vastly different in the japanese version. He's kind of a classic hero character in the game actually. If you ever played kingdom hearts or dissidea he based off his japanese personallity in those title.

All of his famous "..........." lines are actually full dialoge boxes in the original.

That's not true... there are absolutely some translation differences, but Sqaull is still very much quiet and reserved and distant from everyone for the majority of the game.

There is one pretty important difference between the way Squall reacts to situations though, even if it might seem like a minor thing:
instead of saying "whatever" (which can easily come off as nonchalant), he tends to say "warukatta", which is sometimes used as an informal word for "sorry" - "warui" means "bad", and "warukatta" is the past tense of that word, so it literally means "that was bad", which I guess can be interpreted as "I acted in a bad way".

There are also occasions when he says something completely different, like for example when Quistis teases him right after they have entered the Fire Cavern he responds "what the heck? you are the teacher." --- the Japanese line is "...nante kyôshi da" --- probably because he thought that Quistis acted immature at that point.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 month ago#13
Peter_19 posted...
Burdicus posted...
DMAN2501 posted...
Also, for what its worth, squall was written vastly different in the japanese version. He's kind of a classic hero character in the game actually. If you ever played kingdom hearts or dissidea he based off his japanese personallity in those title.

All of his famous "..........." lines are actually full dialoge boxes in the original.

That's not true... there are absolutely some translation differences, but Sqaull is still very much quiet and reserved and distant from everyone for the majority of the game.

There is one pretty important difference between the way Squall reacts to situations though, even if it might seem like a minor thing:
instead of saying "whatever" (which can easily come off as nonchalant), he tends to say "warukatta", which is sometimes used as an informal word for "sorry" - "warui" means "bad", and "warukatta" is the past tense of that word, so it literally means "that was bad", which I guess can be interpreted as "I acted in a bad way".

That actually changes everything.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
1 month ago#14
It's also meant to be an insincere or sarcastic type of apology. It's still meant to put people off.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

User Info: Holy_Cloud105

Holy_Cloud105
1 month ago#15
Squall is supposed to be a good student. It's probably that Japanese culture thing where everyone looks up to the good students as well. Plus, everyone can read him like a book so they know he actually cares.
Official Aqua of the Kingdom Hearts 3 board.
Peter_19 posted...

So... "My bad"?
Official GRAVITY of gamefaqs Dark Souls boards.
I believe I, too, have pooped your pants --- R1 Masher

Peter_19
1 month ago#17
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
Peter_19 posted...

So... "My bad"?

I guess so, yes.
But it could also be meant as sarcasm, like LeonhartFour said - kind of like "eh whatever, sorry then or something".
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Cresen

Cresen
1 month ago#18
So locasliastion f***ed up his s***ty personality?

Peter_19
1 month ago#19
Cresen posted...
So locasliastion f***ed up his s***ty personality?

Not sure, I haven't played the Japanese version yet.
But he seems to be very slightly less cold in that version, but not by much from what I have seen.
This is also pretty clear from his scenes, where he stands and looks serious by himself and refuses to shake people's hands as usual. =P

I would say that early-game Japanese Squall seems to be almost like late-game American Squall, but I cannot say that for sure.
And of course, there are also a lot of nuances there that you would only notice if you were fluent in Japanese.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Burdicus

Burdicus
1 month ago#20
Peter_19 posted...
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
Peter_19 posted...

So... "My bad"?

I guess so, yes.
But it could also be meant as sarcasm, like LeonhartFour said - kind of like "eh whatever, sorry then or something".

Or "...whatever" for short lol. I get it's not PERFECT, but it's pretty close and doesn't change his persona much if any.
It's been a while.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why is Squall "admired" by everyone if he is cold and almost rude?
  • Post New Message