• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why is Squall "admired" by everyone if he is cold and almost rude?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
1 week ago#1
I have never really understood this part about him.
He comes off as really cold and actually kind of rude in several scenes, and even Rinoa gets annoyed with him pretty quickly and explicitly criticises him for it.
Yet he is apparently liked and admired by both the other students and the teachers, and I don't quite get that part.

Is he perhaps less cold than he appears to be to the player?
And is it perhaps his great fighter skills and his sense of duty and responsibility that makes him appear "loyal" and "reliable"?

I do know that several of the other characters know him quite well, so maybe they understand why he acts that way and are patient with him, or something like that.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 week ago#2
I never really got that sense (at least not early in the story), but supposing he is, he has three main qualities going for him:

1. He is a SeeD. It's like making Eagle in Boy Scouts or first chair/section leader in a school band. He has reached the goal everyone who is serious about his organization strives for.

2. He has natural leadership skills. He is (or at least appears) level-headed, he adapts quickly and effectively, and he takes his role seriously.

3. Cid personally endorses him and believes in him.

And a fourth, come to think of it:

4. He's not frickin Seifer.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 week ago#3
Because he’s literally perfect.

Peter_19
1 week ago#4
DevsBro posted...
1. He is a SeeD. It's like making Eagle in Boy Scouts or first chair/section leader in a school band. He has reached the goal everyone who is serious about his organization strives for.

I guess this is kind of the same thing as how the "Trepies" are huge fans of Quistis?

Well maybe not exactly the same thing, but something similar.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DMAN2501

DMAN2501
1 week ago#5
Also, for what its worth, squall was written vastly different in the japanese version. He's kind of a classic hero character in the game actually. If you ever played kingdom hearts or dissidea he based off his japanese personallity in those title.

All of his famous "..........." lines are actually full dialoge boxes in the original.

Peter_19
1 week ago#6
DMAN2501 posted...
Also, for what its worth, squall was written vastly different in the japanese version. He's kind of a classic hero character in the game actually. If you ever played kingdom hearts or dissidea he based off his japanese personallity in those title.

All of his famous "..........." lines are actually full dialoge boxes in the original.

I haven't really played the Japanese version, although I can read Japanese, and my impression of his "Japanese personality" from YouTube videos is that he seems a bit less cold there, even if he of course isn't exactly super-social there either.

As for Squall's American personality, that one is pretty interesting.
It could come off as some form of social anxiety, but I am not sure if that's what it is either.
The game seems to imply that he is mostly scared of personal connections, and has decided to keep everyone at a distance.

Squall also seems to have a great need for a lot of private time and seems to be constantly deep in thought, which indicates that he is probably quite introverted as well.
(edited 1 week ago)
They kno how he rly feels based on his actions. They kno he cares. Plus hes proven reliable.
Official GRAVITY of gamefaqs Dark Souls boards.
I believe I, too, have pooped your pants --- R1 Masher

User Info: wpot

wpot
1 week ago#8
He's competent and effective. Those used to be admirable qualities, although I'm not sure that they are anymore so it's understandable people don't get it. :)

It's not as if people are excited by him (he's not charismatic)...they just respect his skill.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

User Info: Burdicus

Burdicus
1 week ago#9
DMAN2501 posted...

That's not true... there are absolutely some translation differences, but Sqaull is still very much quiet and reserved and distant from everyone for the majority of the game.
It's been a while.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 week ago#10
Burdicus posted...
DMAN2501 posted...

That's not true... there are absolutely some translation differences, but Sqaull is still very much quiet and reserved and distant from everyone for the majority of the game.

Yeah, I was thinking the story and his animations don't make sense otherwise.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Why is Squall "admired" by everyone if he is cold and almost rude?
  • Post New Message