• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Squall's Parents (Spoilers)

User Info: RenFern

RenFern
2 months ago#1
Do you believe Squall's parents are Laguna (Father) and Raine (Mother)? - Results (222 votes)
Definitely Yes.
95.05% (211 votes)
I don't know. So no for now.
4.95% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Definitely Yes.

Mostly the clue and hint is on Disc 3 story.
- The reason why Ellone used her power is one of the clue.
- Inside Ragnarok story. After the mission briefing to defeat Ultimecia, talk to Kiros, Ward and Laguna is another clue.

Squall's parents are Laguna and Raine.
Always Pray. Give Thanks to LORD GOD. Keep Cool. Stay Focus. Be Alert. Be Yourself. God Bless.
My Nickname RenFern and Renzdol are One and The Same Person.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
2 months ago#2
ITT: Did you pay attention to the story?
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: Kakuzatou

Kakuzatou
2 months ago#3
No because it's never stated anywhere in the game that Squall's parents are Laguna and Raine. It's fanfiction.
xXGOD HAND CARNIVAL COSTUME CREWXx

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
2 months ago#4
Kakuzatou posted...
No because it's never stated anywhere in the game that Squall's parents are Laguna and Raine. It's fanfiction.

So what were we supposed to conclude by the knowledge that Raine wanted Laguna to see her new baby, and that they were in possession of Griever before Squall had it?
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: deathguise950

deathguise950
2 months ago#5
Squall's parents are clearly a brown chocobo and Fujin. How did you miss those hints TC?
https://i.imgtc.ws/gFdcwqs.jpg
Miss you bud

User Info: Raiu

Raiu
2 months ago#6
Kakuzatou posted...

It's true that the game never outright comes out and directly says it.

But we also know that Kiros says Squall looks like his mother, so she's someone he knew well. We also know that Squall's father is someone that Kiros and Ward know, and enjoy ribbing ("Good thing you don't look like your father."). We also know that Squall was born in Winhill (where Laguna and Raine were living), and he and Ellone were sent to the orphanage together. We know that Raine died in childbirth, and that's the reason Ellone was sent to the orphanage. We know that Laguna wanted to talk to Squall about something important, but only after everything was done.

So... basically, logic. Squall's parents were living in Winhill, and when Laguna left and Raine died while giving birth to her child, Ellone and Squall were both sent to Edea's orphanage together, and the only reason they would have been sent together is if Raine's death left them both with no one to care for them.

But if that's not good enough for you?

It's confirmed in the FF 20th Anniversary Ultimania, which was released eleven years ago. Some discussion here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/62098149
-Raiutaryuu-

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
2 months ago#7
It's pretty obvious that Laguna is not Squall's father. The writing is simply operating on a deeper, more subtle level than people can grasp. It's very short sighted to assume something is true just because it's the only sensible conclusion.
Meow!

User Info: TetsuoS2

TetsuoS2
2 months ago#8
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Squall's ancestry. The parents are non-existent, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the clues will go over a typical player's head.
FGO NA ID: 973,333,976
Support List Image: https://i.imgur.com/Qdw5kXh.png

User Info: Panthera

Panthera
2 months ago#9
When you're playing Final Fantasy VIII, just remember that it's not like other games. Its design is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to it to even remotely understand it. I remember playing through a certain part (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought the story was absolute bollocks during the playthrough. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the story had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Final Fantasy VIII could just become something so different when you take a look into the game.

Another thing you should note about Final Fantasy VIII is that it's easy to get a headache playing it. Not because it's a bad game, but because of how many ideas it is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just seem like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a play the next day.

If you don't like the game, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the script, and picking apart the story itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.
Meow!

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
2 months ago#10
You guys forgot to mention the clue where the Moomba’s recognized Squall’s scent.
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Squall's Parents (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived