• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Laguna and Winhill (spoilers)

User Info: GeneralRaiden

GeneralRaiden
5 months ago#1
Replaying the game for the hundredth time but something that’s just struck me is why do the residents of Winhill want Laguna to leave so badly? The woman in the flower shop encourages him to go and the item shop guy hates his guts but like...why? I get that they are probably protective of Raine but Laguna is a pretty stand up guy looking after Ellone and killing monsters. What’s their problem?

User Info: justhelpmepleas

justhelpmepleas
5 months ago#2
I think it's because he was a soldier and they resent him because of it since Esthar soldiers are out and about in that time I believe. I'm no expert so I might be wrong.

User Info: david_crockett9

david_crockett9
5 months ago#3
I think it's partially due to him being an ex-soldier and partially due to him being an outsider in general. Winhill seems like a fairly isolated town, probably sees its fair share of military/ex-military guys come through with less than good memories amongst the townsfolk. They just want to go through their lives with minimal contact from the outside world and they're tightly knit. Laguna, with his ideas and never-ending mouth and city ways, makes them uncomfortable because he's everything they tend to avoid, but he's also got some absurd level of charisma? Dude manages to get a country to follow him based purely on his passionate speeches, but as we've also seen in the game, it's entirely possible he just rubbed most of, if not the entire town the wrong way. He's an idiot with a heart of gold, which makes him the perfect leader (somehow).
Aspiring village idiot
LoL ign: downrightdavid

User Info: palatinae

palatinae
5 months ago#4
The other side of the coin ... for those that do like Laguna, perhaps they want him to leave because they feel it is what is in Laguna's best interest. Kinda like a mama bird kicking its off spring out the nest so as to make them able to fly. IDK - just a thought.

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
5 months ago#5
If a militarist regime was trying to conquer the entire continent while simultaneously being at war with the world's other major superpower and their despotic sorceress, I'd be a bit on-edge about harboring an awol soldier after his injury healed up as well, even if he did seem like "one of the good ones."
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

User Info: sano83

sano83
5 months ago#6
Maybe they dont want him to spend time with Raine, in the off case he gets her pregnant and leave.
[Its evolution, Baby.]

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
5 months ago#7
sano83 posted...
Maybe they dont want him to spend time with Raine, in the off case he gets her pregnant and leave.

I hope that never happen. Their poor kid will be traumatized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: LeonhartFour

LeonhartFour
5 months ago#8
Yeah, it seems more like it's because Laguna represents everything they hate than anything about him as a person. I imagine most of them never gave him a fair chance.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/080/145/638.png
https://i.imgur.com/WqDcNNq.png

User Info: david_crockett9

david_crockett9
5 months ago#9
Calmlander posted...
sano83 posted...

I hope that never happen. Their poor kid will be traumatized

Yeah, he might even have ended up in an orphanage with Laguna's luck
Aspiring village idiot
LoL ign: downrightdavid

User Info: Sw1ft_Blad3

Sw1ft_Blad3
5 months ago#10
He probably drove them insane with his stupidity and bumbling incompetence.
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my Wings to make me tame.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Laguna and Winhill (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers