• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Square lost the source code?

User Info: Chaos Genesis

Chaos Genesis
1 year ago#1
Forgive yet another Switch owner coming in here so suddenly, but with this recent announcement that 7, 9, and 10/X-2 HD are coming to the system, my wife and I started investigating as to why 8 would be skipped, and APPARENTLY Square no longer has access to the original source code of the game? I don't know much about video game development, so a) I have no idea if this is true, and b) if it's even possible to "lose the source code" when copies of the game exist (though I reckon the physical games we got are compiled and probably difficult, if not impossible, to analyze to get the original structure).

I guess my question beneath all this rambling is, could there be any truth to this idea? I refuse to believe that it would be held back because it's "not as good" as 7 or 9 (I've got a VERY subjective and personal love for the game, so please don't try to convince me otherwise), but something like "whoops, we lost the hard drives it was on" is a bit more believable, if not incredibly stupid.

Thanks!
WiiU: drgdgrana | 3DS: 1204-0469-8787 (NL: David @ Iacon)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4C00-0011-50F6 | Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Flying (Farfetch'd, Hoothoot, Rufflet)

User Info: Vegeta1000

Vegeta1000
1 year ago#2
It's got nothing to do with Square losing the source code. It's copyright issues with the Eyes on Me song. It's the reason why the game wasn't released for mobile which the PS4, XB1, and NS versions are based on.
"When he at the mic you don't go next" MF DOOM
NS FC: SW - 1251 - 6932 - 4815 3DS FC: 4313 - 2332 - 4563

User Info: Manticore

Manticore
1 year ago#3
I doubt it's licensing issues with the song (it came out on Steam with no problems). Personally I think the sales wouldn't be very good and that's why they're not re-releasing it. I'm not saying it's not as good as VII or IX, I like more than those infact, but the majority of fans prefer VII and IX, and SE knows it. But no, they didn't lose the source code.
GameFAQs lurker/poster since the early 2000s

Vegeta1000
1 year ago#4
Manticore posted...
(it came out on Steam with no problems

Yeah, but ain't that the PS1 original? The FFVII and FFIX ports are based on the mobile versions and FFVIII never released on mobile. Them not releasing it because they think it wouldn't sell is false. FFVIII is still one of the most popular games in the series as well as one of the most popular JRPGs of all time.

User Info: Manticore

Manticore
1 year ago#5
Actually the general consensus is that it's pretty hated and considered the black sheep of the PS1 games.
GameFAQs lurker/poster since the early 2000s

Vegeta1000
1 year ago#6
Manticore posted...
Actually the general consesus is that it's pretty hated and considered the black sheep of the PS1 games.

Except you're wrong. It has a 90 on Metacritic and very good user scores. It's still one of the most popular games in the series and on the PS1. It just loud minority haters on the internet. Hell, there was a poll done recently about whether FFVIII was a good game or not and the majority of the users said the game was good.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#7
FF8 was always more popular and loved than FF9 until more recent years.

The reason is because kids think they're more credible if they like the classic games, but they don't they so they pretend to, but since FF9 is very similar they get vocal about it thinking they are then cooler.

User Info: TheBeever

TheBeever
1 year ago#8
It's odd that they won't do one since, if Steam sales are any indication, it'd do pretty well. It's not as clear now that Steamspy no longer gives more precise numbers, but the Steam version of VIII has outsold most of the FF games on the platform despite being a bad, lazy port, including IX.

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 year ago#9
TheBeever posted...
It's odd that they won't do one since, if Steam sales are any indication, it'd do pretty well. It's not as clear now that Steamspy no longer gives more precise numbers, but the Steam version of VIII has outsold most of the FF games on the platform despite being a bad, lazy port, including IX.

This must be because there are no other options, you know.
If you want to play Final Fantasy IX, you can go mobile, you can go PS4, or you can go Steam.
With Final Fantasy VIII is only original or Steam.

GoukiAkujiki posted...
The reason is because kids think they're more credible if they like the classic games, but they don't they so they pretend to, but since FF9 is very similar they get vocal about it thinking they are then cooler.

This is dumb. Otherwise, everyone would worship Final Fantasy I, as being the most classic and original.

Manticore posted...
Actually the general consensus is that it's pretty hated and considered the black sheep of the PS1 gam

Final Fantasy Tactics have the lowest metacritic score for the for games on the PlayStation. It is the black sheep so much that most of the fanatics of the franchise didnt even played it.
VS>FFT>FF IX=DA:O>FF V=CC=PE2>FF VIII=FF XII=ME3=CT>FF VII=PE>FF III>FF X=FF IV>FF VI

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#10
sano83 posted...
TheBeever posted...

This must be because there are no other options, you know.
If you want to play Final Fantasy IX, you can go mobile, you can go PS4, or you can go Steam.
With Final Fantasy VIII is only original or Steam.

GoukiAkujiki posted...

This is dumb. Otherwise, everyone would worship Final Fantasy I, as being the most classic and original.

Manticore posted...
Actually the general consensus is that it's pretty hated and considered the black sheep of the PS1 gam

Final Fantasy Tactics have the lowest metacritic score for the for games on the PlayStation. It is the black sheep so much that most of the fanatics of the franchise didnt even played it.

Did you read what I said? Kids don't like the original final fantasy. They're not gonna like any of the early ones.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Square lost the source code?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A