• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. How I Would Have Improved The Character Development In Final Fantasy VIII

User Info: aspilanti84

aspilanti84
5 years ago#1
Squall - As is. Whatever.

Riona - I would have her GROW THE F UP and not be a whiny, self-absorbed 16 year old teenager struggling with first world problems and daddy issues.

Zell - I would have him control his anger (and stop being a chicken-wuss).

Quistis - As is, but with more maturity, a love interest for Seifer, and showing her competency as a leader.

Seifer - Finally realizing how much of a pawn he was, joining the team, becoming cool with Zell and giving Squall the credit he deserves. Time is too short to waste on pretty rivalry, you know? And dating Quistis. Teachers need love too.

Selphie - To come to terms with the hidden anger issues that she obviously has due to being an orphan. Her penchant for destruction and fire is her reaction to war. She's a psychopath that loves to wet the bed and torture moombas. I think she's one sick puppy.

Irvine - Finally getting over his fear of performing when needed (especially if he's going to date Selphie) and proving himself as a valuable member of the team. Also, jogging Squall's memory of him. Maybe it's revealed that he was afraid of women, and being a ladies' man helped him cope with stage fright. Or else, wtf is he still really doing there?

Edea - Being more motherly. And secretly guilty, since she's the reason they're put in this mess in the first place.

Raijin / Fujin - They're fine as is, y'know?

Laguna - As is.

Ward / Kiros - Fine as is. Not much as to tell, unless Ward is Zell's father...and Kiros is Selphie's!!! Or maybe they're Fujin and Raijin's fathers respectively, y'know?

Since Final Fantasy stories are character driven anyways, this would have made the story much better, IMO.

Also, if three of your members died during Selphie's missile base mission, that would've added untold depth to the story. Let's do it.

User Info: victoringram

victoringram
5 years ago#2
Spoilers ahead, for FF8 and FF7.

I think Rinoa does grow up. She was willing to go quietly into the sorceress memorial, knowing damn good and well she would never get out once sealed.

The whole "chicken-wuss" thing for Zell was never based on anything; it was just Seifer's way of getting under his skin. And considering that him losing his temper was just for comedic effect, I'm glad they left it alone (although the only late-game example of it I can think of was during the credits).

I find the suggestions that Quistis be more mature but also like Seifer romantically, contradictory.

I would've been fine with more closure between Seifer and Squall, but it didn't bother me the way they ended the cinematic with him. Idk why.

Selphie: See Zell.

Yeah, Irvine could've used a (bigger) "I'm the hero this time!" moment, to redeem himself properly for botching the assassination attempt.

I don't think Edea has anything to feel guilty about. She did what she thought she had to do, when it came to Squall, and what ended up being for the betterment of everyone, when it came to her (or Cid's?) plan to have the others by his side.

Finally, I would've really been ticked off if they killed three of my main characters like that! It was annoying enough when they stole Aeris from me in FF7, as I had taken a liking to her as a regular member of my team!

User Info: Kaskos

Kaskos
5 years ago#3
I was about to comment on how, for such an open game, there sure are a lot of "how I would improve" topics, but I see this is somewhat original.

I would love to see the Dr Katz episode where Squall visits. That's my vote for a character development moment.
"My voice is now sinking into the subliminal range. You can relax. You are in control. Today can be a good day. You can be confident."

User Info: Druff

Druff
5 years ago#4
I would re-write enough of Zell's, Selphie's and Laguna's dialogue to make them sound at least 70% less brain dead.
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four

User Info: Seraphor

Seraphor
5 years ago#5
So basically you would strip all of their flaws away and make each character perfect?

One of the things VIII really has going for it is realistic teenage characters.
Fan Projects: Final Fantasy VIII-2, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy EPIC

User Info: 3Storms

3Storms
5 years ago#6
I'd make everyone older and make the gardens to be more like Blackwater operations.

A school full of kids where parents send off their kids to learn how to fight and kill to be private mercenaries is a little too "African warlord Joseph Koni" for me.

Plus I'd take away the coincidence of them all having come from the same orphanage.

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
5 years ago#7
Never played the american version, but in the spanish version, Rinoa doesn't whiny at all, she is a bit of a brat at the end of this 1 with the "i want to participate too", but just that. Overall she is quite charming and fun the rest of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: Druff

Druff
5 years ago#8
Calmlander posted...
Never played the american version, but in the spanish version, Rinoa doesn't whiny at all, she is a bit of a brat at the end of this 1 with the "i want to participate too", but just that. Overall she is quite charming and fun the rest of the game.

The English version is the same way, it's just people being their usual jugemental stick-up-the-ass selves.
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four

User Info: Demonic_Essence

Demonic_Essence
5 years ago#9
......the game is doomed.
"If only I had checked myself" -Guy who wrecked himself.

User Info: victoringram

victoringram
5 years ago#10
Calmlander posted...

Well, I don't think she was ever whiny, but when you first reach the Forest Owls' base, they refer to her as "princess", suggesting that maybe she doesn't handle not getting her way very well. When Squall tells it like it is in regards to Seifer's possible execution, she calls him a "meanie". Before that, he (rightfully) questions whether or not she's taking the mission to liberate Timber seriously, because of how they go about forming plans, having to ask their hired hands for input, etc. She responds to this by saying never mind to the mission and runs away. Things like this may be what people are talking about, when they say she's "whiny" or something similar.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. How I Would Have Improved The Character Development In Final Fantasy VIII
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A