• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Abolishing Card Rules RNG

User Info: Manaflux

Manaflux
7 years ago#1
Hey everyone-

I dug up a very informative archived topic regarding a seperate RNG for spreading/abolishing rules. Here is the link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/53611093

The trouble is, the .txt list that was compiled is a broken link, and some of it is confusing to me. I am at the end of disc 3 with the Ragnarok, and all regions are available to me. They are also hold their default rules (except I spread Open to Galbadia).

I want to have every region with nothing but the Open rule (since all the CCC were originally Balamb students, and that is it's only rule.) This will also greatly help in farming cards for Stat-Ups on disc 4.

Vilirum made good description a few posts down in (somewhat) layman's terms. Here's an example:

Abolish Same:
Use RNG 26x. RNG usage #14, #17, #19, #23 may not be the first check of a challenge/no. Draw point required.
Open, Sudden Death may not be able to spread.
Challenge/yes/quit.

I don't understand what he means by "Use RNG 26 times". I think challenge/mix/decline consumes 2 RNG bits? Or was it 3? Was the draw point 2? So does that mean I talk to the draw point 26 times, or only 13 because it uses 2? I don't even have the list anyway? What is going on?! And then I can't be in a situation where I spread certain rules to abolish others, then how do I abolish a rule without spreading another? That seems counterproductive.

Is there anyone out there who could help me lay out an easy, efficient way of abolishing all the rules and spreading only Open to them all? Sister's FAQ is a heap of unnecessary text with no structure (no offense.) Please help me out! >_<
Manaflux | Jeux sans frontieres

User Info: Vilurum

Vilurum
7 years ago#2
Forte ended up making a guide of sorts, which he put on his website, which then exploded.

Handily, he was kind enough to send me a copy of said guide, so here's a copy-paste of the most pertinent parts. Between this and the general principles from the topic you were looking at, you should be able to get results without too much further explanation.

Safe locations (aka where to save and whom to challenge):

Balamb (Balamb region):
- Go to the hotel and save there
- Use the person standing in front of the hotel to abolish rules

Deling City (Galbadia region):
- Save at Galbadia Hotel
- Use the person downstairs to abolish rules

Shumi Village (Trabia region):
- Save at the hotel
- Use the person in front of the hotel to abolish rules

Edea's house (Centra region):
- Save on the world map in front of Edea's house
- Use Edea/Cid to abolish rules

Dollet (Dollet region):
- Save at the second floor of pub (need Move Find ability)
- Use the person in the same room or the pub owner to abolish rules

FH (FH region):
- Save at the spot closest to Mayor Dobe in FH
- Use Mayor Dobe to abolish rules

Lunar Gate (Lunar region):
- Save in front of Lunar Gate on the world map
- Use the NPC inside the Lunar Gate to abolish rules.
(The seemingly random NPCs don't consume numbers)

Esthar (Esthar region):
- Save at the world map in front of the Seaside Station on the Esthar
continent (which is close to the bridge connecting FH and Esthar)
- Use the Old Man NPC inside the station to abolish rules

Abolishing rules if QoC is not present in the region in question:

Abolish Open:
Conditions: Unable to spread Sudden Death
- Hardreset
- Load save close to Dollet's magazine stack
- use magazine stack once
- Softreset, load save where you want to abolish the rule
- Challenge, select no for a total of 6 times
- Challenge, select yes, Quit without playing
Open should be abolished.

Abolish Same:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Sudden Death
- Hardreset
- use magazine stack 17 times (Will get two Phoenix Downs total, the second
after the 17. time)
- exit the room and enter again.
- use magazine stack 3 times
- Challenge, select no for a total of 3 times
Same should be abolished

Abolish Plus:
Conditions: Unable to spread Same and Same Wall
- Hardreset
- Load save where you want to abolish the rule
- Challenge, select no for a total of 8 times
Plus should be abolished

Abolish Random:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Same Wall
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 4 times
Random should be abolished
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)

Vilurum
7 years ago#3
Abolish Sudden Death:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Elemental
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 5 times
Sudden Death should be abolished.

Abolish Same Wall:
- Hardreset
Same Wall should be abolished.

Abolish Elemental:
Conditions: None
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 1 times
Elemental should be abolished.

Abolishing rules in the region where the QoC *is* present (do not challenge QoC herself for this - use some other card player in the region):

Abolish Open:
Conditions: Unable to spread Sudden Death
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 4 times
Open should be abolished.

Abolish Same:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Sudden Death
- Hardreset
- use magazine stack 17 times (Will get two Phoenix Downs total, the second
after the 17. time)
- exit the room and enter again.
- use magazine stack 5 times
- Challenge, select no for a total of 1 times
Same should be abolished

Abolish Plus:
Conditions: Unable to spread Same and Same Wall
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 5 times
Plus should be abolished

Abolish Random:
Conditions: Unable to spread Open and Same Wall
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 2 times
Random should be abolished

Abolish Sudden Death:
- Hardreset
Sudden Death should be abolished.

Abolish Same Wall:
- Hardreset
- Challenge, select no for a total of 2 times
Same Wall should be abolished.

Abolish Elemental:
Conditions: None
- Hardreset
- use magazine stack twice
Elemental should be abolished.

Manaflux
7 years ago#4
As always, Vilurum, you come in to save the day! This is perfect. I can't thank you enough for this! I was able to take care of every region in a matter of an hour or so. I'm not sure if it matters, if you are interested in updating that information, the second Phoenix Down in the stack is actually a Potion. Also, you don't need to ride the elevator all the way down to the Shumi Inn. A safe place can be just outside the Shumi dome on the world map, enter, and use the middle Ultima guard to change rules.

Thanks again for all your help, and continue to kick ass!

Manaflux
7 years ago#5
One more question. Now that all the regions are ready to go, I'm trying to move the Queen to Shumi Village (for the left Diamond Twin). I've started with losing MiniMog, but I was wondering if I should win it back before disc 4, or is it easier to win it back from her now?

User Info: DigitalDice

DigitalDice
7 years ago#6
Search for keywords like "queen", "trabia", "trade rule", or especially "direct". Queen to Trabia really isn't all that super-exciting, and isn't recommended unless you already have a firm understanding of trade rules and how they work. Something no FAQ has gotten around to getting down right, and something with a small but nonzero chance of providing major frustration if you slip up.

Vilurum
7 years ago#7
Yeah: the point of parking the QoC somewhere is to maintain Diff or All with the corresponding CC member on disc 4.

(Left) Diamond is the CC member you play for *rare* cards, but you don't really care for Diff or All for those - you just want "not Direct".

For *regular* cards, you want *King*, who unlike Diamond (and unlike the rest of the CC members) uses all seven levels of regular cards. So if you're going to park the QoC anywhere to maintain Diff or All for disc 4 CC group purposes, park her in Lunar, not Trabia.

This also saves you from any risk of accidentally saddling left Diamond with Direct. Worst case and you do accidentally leave the QoC's personal rule on Direct, you can still get Diamond to degenerate to One, at which point she'll stay there so long as you're not playing anyone with a different trade rule. This means you won't be screwed out of rare cards, the way you would be if that happened and the QoC were parked in Trabia.

Manaflux
7 years ago#8
Ah. It was my understanding the corresponding CC member could change their trade rule on disc 4 as long as you keep playing QoC at the crash site.

For example: Challenge her at disc 4 crash site. Keep playing her until her trade rule shows All. Quit and head to Ragnarok. Challenge corresponding CC member: their trade rule is now also All. Is this not the case?

My idea was to Card-Mod Irvine, Ward, Edea, Zell, and Rinoa cards into their items, then use Forbid Med-RF to turn those items into [stat]-Ups. I figured if I modded those five, I could play left Diamond with Trade Rule: All and win all 5 back in one game.

Vilurum
7 years ago#9
Nice idea in principle, but there are a few reasons why it won't work:

1. Disc 4 QoC is, despite name, appearance, and plot identity, a completely separate card-playing entity from disc 1-3 QoC. She is not tied to any region, her trade rule is always One, and her rules are always everything except Open.

As far as the whole "what region is the QoC in" and "what is the QoC's personal rule" stuff as it applies to trade rules, on disc 4 the applicable answer is "whatever they were as of the end of disc 3".

2. Left Diamond will only ever use one rare card at a time. In fact, the only card player that comes to mind that I've ever seen use *more* than one rare card at a time, is the aforementioned disc 4 QoC. As such, you still need a minimum of five games to get cards back. Which brings us to...

3. Your most time-efficient sources of each stat-up are as follows, so without being able to multitask as you'd hoped, you should really only focus on the Minotaur, Eden, and Irvine cards:

HP Up: Buy 100 Giant's Rings, GFAbl Med-RF to 10 Gaea's Rings, Forbid Med-RF to 10 HP Ups. (This is faster than refining Ward's card 3 and a third times for 10 HP Ups.)

Str Up: Mod Eden's card for 3 Monk's Codes, Forbid Med-RF to 3 Str Ups, reclaim from left Diamond. (Better card to Str Up exchange rate than you get with Zell's card.)

Vit Up: Mod Minotaur's card for 10 Adamantines, Forbid Med-RF to 2 Vit Ups, reclaim from left Diamond. (Gilgamesh's card also results in 2 Vit Ups, but has an extra refinement step: card -> 10 Holy War -> 2 Knight's Code -> 2 Vit Up. This makes it slightly slower.)

Mag Up: Buy 100 Hypno Crowns, GFAbl Med-RF to 10 Royal Crowns, Forbid Med-RF to 1 Mag Up. (This is faster than refining Edea's card 3 and a third times for 1 Mag Up.)

Spr Up: Buy 100 Force Armlets, GFAbl Med-RF to 10 Magic Armlets, Forbid Med-RF to 1 Spr Up. (This is faster than refining Rinoa's card 3 and a third times for 1 Spr Up.)

Spd Up: Mod Irvine's card for 3 Rocket Engines, reclaim from left Diamond, and repeat. Every 5 Rocket Engines, Forbid Med-RF to 1 Spd Up. (5 copies of Irvine's card = 3 Spd Ups.)

Luck Up: Save yourself the trouble and don't bother. Or use a cheat device. If you want to do it anyway, and do it legitimately, your fastest option is to mug fixed Tri-Faces in Deep Sea (Ultima Weapon must be left alive, meaning Eden must come from Tiamat) for 6, sometimes 8, Curse Spikes apiece. Every 100 Curse Spikes, Tool-RF to 1 Dark Matter, GFAbl Med-RF to 1 Luck-J Scroll, and Forbid Med-RF to 1 Luck Up. You're looking at hundreds of hours to max Luck, and it's totally not worth the bother. (If you do decide to do *some* Luck raising though, feed any Luck Ups to Zell and Irvine first: they benefit the most.)

Manaflux
7 years ago#10
Great stuff. Yeah, Eden card would definitely be the better choice, except I was planning on maxing Luck so I didn't want to fight Ultima Weapon just yet. I'll definitely consider the alternative though. Thanks again!
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Abolishing Card Rules RNG
  • Topic Archived