• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Wrong disk? Are you kidding me?

User Info: Erdrick001

Erdrick001
7 years ago#1
I got to the point where it says to insert disk 4. I did, but it says wrong disk. I restarted and I go straight to the browser/setup screen. The disk shouldn't be damaged, it was a brand new copy. It's the Greatest Hits version and I'm using a PS2 Slim. The system loads other disks just fine.

I've tried searching online for answers, but most of the solutions are for the PC version of the game. Does anyone have any ideas that don't involve buying a new game or buying a new console?

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
7 years ago#2
You generally have to save the game before changing the disk, right?

It goes Save Game -> Change Disk.

If the disc change isn't working then just restart your game with the correct disc (i.e. disc 4, in your case) inside the PS2 and load the file which should now say Disc 4 on it, and you should be OK. I've had it happen to me before too, and that usually is a good band-aid esque solution to it.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win an NBA Championship! Started 4/3/2011

User Info: ferdk16

ferdk16
7 years ago#3
exactly what SSj4 said, restart the console with disc 4 in it, and load the save file.
Latest cover: Yuna's Theme (Final Fantasy X) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olo0Nq0_TtA&hd=1

Erdrick001
7 years ago#4
I've done that. The disk won't load in my PS2. It goes straight to the Browser/Configuration menu.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
7 years ago#5
Then go to Browser, and you should see an option to go to your memory card.

Generally, if I have a disc that doesn't load, if I just go to the browser, eventually an option pops up to go to the Disc on the right, and I just play from there. Give that a shot, maybe?
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win an NBA Championship! Started 4/3/2011

User Info: ferdk16

ferdk16
7 years ago#6
there's clearly a problem with the disc then
Latest cover: Yuna's Theme (Final Fantasy X) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olo0Nq0_TtA&hd=1

User Info: Fallacia

Fallacia
7 years ago#7
Best case scenario, the lens is just a little dirty and needs cleaning. Note that you may want to buy a commercial cleaner specifically for the Slim PS2. It's really easy to damage the lens by either scratching it or applying too much pressure, so even using soft cloths or cotton swabs are risky.

It could also be a problem with the lens position of the PS2. Previous models of the PS2 would have problems with the lens going out of alignment. It wasn't supposed to be an issue with Slim models (which you said you're using), but it may be a possibility. While this wasn't as much of a problem for most games, psx games start to have trouble playing. After a while, it can get so bad that even some PS2 games won't work and you'll be lucky to ever see the Playstation logo for PS1 games.

Another issue is if you've tried to alter your PS2 in any way. If you've managed to void your warranty and mess with some of the internal stuff of the PS2, there are some things that could cause this problem. It's the least likely explanation, but it is one that could be offered.
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

User Info: harley2280

harley2280
7 years ago#8
Perhaps your disc is faulty.
"Hail to the King Baby."
Plat FC - 2407 6584 1961 SS FC - 1591 7102 9304

Erdrick001
7 years ago#9
The PS2 has no trouble playing other any other PS or PS2 disks so I'm not sure it's a dust or lens alignment issue. I'll clean it anyway, just in case.

Turns out the disk itself isn't the problem either. I ran a PS emulator on my PC and put the disk in and it loaded fine.

I'm at a loss.

User Info: rebel521

rebel521
7 years ago#10
Hmm...pretty far fetched but maybe the disc was mislabeled at the factory. Maybe it says "4" but it's really 1,2 or 3. Maybe start another game and try that disc in place of 1,2 or 3.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Wrong disk? Are you kidding me?
  • Topic Archived