• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Easiest way of obtaining 100 ultimas for everyone

User Info: cloud1066

cloud1066
11 years ago#1

anyone know?

User Info: Senta

Senta
11 years ago#2
Personally, if I have free time and don't feel like doing anything else, I hook up Encounter None, and just go back and forth from "The Island Closest To Heaven" and "The Island Closest To Hell". About an hour and a half, if that, of going back and forth between the two will have you with 100 Ultima, Holy, Meteor, ect, ect, for each character rather fast.

User Info: Vilurum

Vilurum
11 years ago#3
You only really need 100 Ultimas for three people, not all six. (Same goes for any spell. Just Junction Exchange when you switch your party members.)

The boring but simple way, which is more useful if you're also missing *other* good spells (like Meteor, Triple, etc.), is to slap on Enc-None and do the rounds of the draw points along the borders of ICT Heaven/Hell. Slow, tedious, but simple and effective.

For Ultima specifically, it's faster - and drawback-free - to farm the fixed Elnoyle encounter for dropped Energy Crystals (quick wins with ST-Atk Death), or to farm the fixed Tri-Face encounters for mugged Curse Spikes (give the mugger ST-Atk Zombie, and follow up with Revive once you mug successfully).

Elnoyles: ~90% chance of 2, ~5% chance of 3, ~5% chance of 4 Energy Crystals per battle. Each Energy Crystal is 3 Ultima spells, so that's 6, 9, or 12 Ultimas respectively.

Tri-Faces: ~90% chance of 6, ~10% chance of 8 Curse Spikes per battle. 100 Curse Spikes = 1 Dark Matter = 100 Ultima spells, so - throwing in the delay since you have to stock up to a full 100 first - it's effectively 6 or 8 Ultimas per battle.

Elnoyles edge out Tri-Faces but it's not a huge difference. Furthermore, both of them are nicely effective options for stocking up on Ultima spells while simultaneously levelling your characters with Bonus abilities (note that since Mug takes up a character ability slot, Tri-Faces are not a viable option in this situation until you *have* a level 100 character already). You'll have 300 Ultima spells well before everyone hits level 100.

However, fixed Elnoyles are only available late disc 3, and become unavailable if you wait until disc 4. Fixed Tri-Faces become unavailable if you kill off Ultima Weapon. So depending on where you are in the game and whether or not you've already killed Ultima Weapon, you may have both, one, or neither of those as an option.

Finally we've got the strictly fastest methods, but which have drawbacks:

1. Draw from Ultima Weapon. Also has a 75% chance of dropping 100 Ultima Stones = 100 Ultima spells, after the battle. Drawback (in addition to occasionally having to deal with Light Pillar) is that you lose out on the fixed encounters permanently, in exchange for your faster Ultima spells. Since Ultima spells, Eden GF, and Eden's card can all be obtained elsewhere, there's never any strict *need* to fight Ultima Weapon.

2. Draw from Omega Weapon. Drawback is that you have to wait until practically the end of the game. Also, he's mildly threatening and you'll probably spend more time dealing with his attacks than drawing from him, which rather cuts down on the efficiency of obtaining the spell.

Personally, my advice (and what I personally do) is to use the fixed Elnoyles/Tri-Faces to stock up on Ultima spells while levelling with Bonus abilities. (The Tri-Faces can also be adapted in a no-level game. LV Up, mug, card.) However, to each their own - I've also provided your other options if those seem preferable to you.

(The only other option for Ultimas of note, which is *never* the fastest option, is however the *earliest* infinite option. Shumi Village draw point.)
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)

User Info: GrindGods

GrindGods
11 years ago#4
What's the most anyone has been able to draw when it comes to an individual spell (per draw) on the two islands? I think 5 is the max I've ever been able to get and this is with magic and spirit maxed at 255. Usually it's like 3 or 4. :(

User Info: Vilurum

Vilurum
11 years ago#5
Draw points are purely random (possibly influenced by spell quality perhaps?) and ignore your stats. World map draw points also cough up fewer spells than an area map draw point. 3 or 4 is actually pretty high in my experience, I typically average more like 2 from a world map draw point.
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)

User Info: Lukey_Bug

Lukey_Bug
11 years ago#6
Isn't drawing based off of your magic? I tend to get more spells when its higher.
I don't want this man's life, I just want his sandwiches.

User Info: Vilurum

Vilurum
11 years ago#7
Drawing in battle, absolutely. See the Battle Mechanics FAQ for the formula.

It also takes into account the level difference between you and the enemy - which can be helpful or harmful depending on who's higher level - as well as the "difficulty" of the spell, i.e. Ultima is much harder to draw than Fire. Plus a random factor.

However, the biggest thing you can do to improve your own draw rate is get a good Mag junction. 100-odd Mag (I calculated it out a while back, forget the exact number) is enough to guarantee that you'll draw 9 of any spell in any situation. Even if it's a level 7 Squall drawing Ultima from a level 100 Omega Weapon.

Drawing from *draw points*, however, ignores your stats.
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)

User Info: ohtheforlanity

ohtheforlanity
11 years ago#8
i think its awesome the way vil refers to omega as "mildly threatening"..... Genius :-)
Aaargh!

User Info: cloud1066

cloud1066
11 years ago#9

God i love this game

User Info: Aquashina

Aquashina
11 years ago#10
God i love this game

This.
Gunbound: Aquashina Rank: Yellow Chicken
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Easiest way of obtaining 100 ultimas for everyone
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A