• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Lost in Translation
TJF588 13 years ago#1
A link Sir Bahamut brought up in the "Attn" thread...

http://www.lokasenna.pe.kr/ardente/etc./

========

SITUATION:
When Selphie wondered why Seifer came to the Timber Broadcast Station

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Rinoa: I think...he came to help us, the 'Forest Owls'. I talked about it a lot with him.

ORIGINAL:
Rinoa: I think he came because of the 'Forest Owls'. I asked him for advice on a lot of things.

COMPARISON:
In the English translation the implication is that Rinoa simply talked to Seifer about the Forest Owls and her dream to free Timber. In the original, however, the implication is more that Seifer actually helped Rinoa with the Forest Owls, probably during the summer they spent together. As a Garden trainee Seifer must have been well-versed in weaponry and possibly tactical maneuvers, possibly guerilla resistance-style tactics. I think it's also possible he taught Rinoa how to fight--ever wonder why Rinoa's weapon is so similar to Fujin's? :)

========

SITUATION:
When asked at G-Garden whether she still liked Seifer

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Rinoa: If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it.

ORIGINAL:
Rinoa: If I did I couldn't talk about it like this.

COMPARISON:
Huh? o.O I checked another source, and it bears out the story guide book, too. It seems the translators either made a huge boo-boo, or mistranslated on purpose to create a lover's triangle between Seifer, Squall, and Rinoa. Whether to go with the English transltion or not is up to the gamer, but it seems Rinoa wasn't originally the "tart" she's made out to be in the English version.

========
CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
"we must [...] learn to think ourselves fortunate whilst one remains whom the spoiler has not seized." -- V. Frankenstein
TJF588 13 years ago#2
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOES POST
========

SITUATION:
Edea's ascension speech

ENGLISH TRANSLATION:
Edea: How you celebrate my ascension with such joy. Hailing the very one whom you have condemned for generations. Have you no shame? What happened to the evil, ruthless sorceress from your fantasies? The cold-blooded tyrant that slaughtered countless men and destroyed many nations? Where is she now? She stands before your very eyes to become your new ruler. HAHAHAHAHA.

Squall: ...?

Edea: A new era has just begun.

Deling: E-Edea...Are you alright...? Ede...! (Edea kills him)

Edea: This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show. Rest assured, you fools. Your time will come. This is only the beginning. Let us start a new reign of terror. I will let you live a fantasy beyond your imagination. ... Let us end this ceremony with a sacrifice.

ORIGINAL:
Edea: We witches have lived in your fantasies for generations--foolish fantasies of your own creation. Witches garbed in terrible apparel, who curse and kill innocents with cruel rituals. They use merciless spells to burn green fields and freeze your warm hometowns... How boring."

Deling: ...?

Edea: Do you breathe sighs of relief because the fearsome witch of your imagination is on your side? Which of us is the one that dreams, fantasy upon fantasy?

Deling: E-Edea...What are you... Ede...! (Edea kills him)

Edea: Reality is not so sweet. Reality is never so sweet. So run, fools, into your fantasies. In the fevered world of your imagination will I dance for you! The witch of terror shall dance through all of eternity. You and I together will create the ultimate fantasy. In it even life and death are but an exquisite dream. Eternal be the witch and the fantasy! Eternal be Galbadia, her slave! ... Oh yes, an evil witch needs a sacrifice and a cruel ritual.

COMPARISON:
(Note: The terminology corresponding to "witch" is used throughout the original FFVIII, while the Enligh translation uses "sorceress" instead.)

Okay, the English translators changed a lot of things in this speech. In the English translation Edea/Ultimecia is a total megalomaniac, while in the original she's less a megalomaniac than a bitter cynic. While in the English translation she seems bent on world domination(Galbadia's "fantasy"), the original hints more at her real goal: Time Compression. The original also shows just how effectively she uses dreams and imagination, and furthermore hints that her whole nature is more ephemeral than real.

Also, the part of her speech about running from a hard reality to fantasy seems to hint at Seifer's motivations as a Sorceress' Knight. Seifer's encounter with her at Timber could be construed to mean that there was something in his past, his boyhood, that he wished to leave behind--in fact, his whole dream of being a Sorceress' Knight was probably based on escapism. In this light it's not hard to see how Ultimecia ensnared him so easily--and how he came to commit such crimes on her behest.

========

Well, looks like FFVII's not the only PS1 contender for misleading dialogue choices... Thanks to whoever sent this to ya, Sir B!
"we must [...] learn to think ourselves fortunate whilst one remains whom the spoiler has not seized." -- V. Frankenstein
Evisceraptor 13 years ago#3
Fascinating. Thanks for this!
Starloving_Fool 13 years ago#4
TJ, every Final Fantasy is going to have massive translation errors... It's inevitable simply because translating from Japanese into English is not a perfect science and in many cases, a lot of the original meaning is lost.

But hey, at least it's not as bad as:

FF II US:

Tellah: YOU SPOONY BARD!

FF IV

Tella YOU GODDAMN BARD!

Translation courtesy of Clet.

"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"
TJF588 13 years ago#5
You and I both know that the line YSB replaces is actually the "shut up" line.

*hopes memory's working*
Danahell 13 years ago#6
Well, at least in FFVIII they didn't make errors like: "This guy are sick"
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
Starloving_Fool 13 years ago#7
You and I both know that the line YSB replaces is actually the "shut up" line.

*hopes memory's working*

Nope. Go talk to Clet sometime, TJ. He made a big post on it a long time ago (probably got purged now, though)... =P

"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
TJF588 13 years ago#8
REGARDLESS, you guys seem to be missing the vitality of thiss all. While translations like "This guy are sick," and "You spoony bard!" are goofy sounding (for whatever reasons), they are not plot-vital lines, nor do they detract from the point being made.

At least two of the three points brought up on that webpage are very perception-shifting changes to the story. Rinoa confirming her lack of feeling for Seifer (at least in any way she might've before) and Edeamicia's speech structure really affect a player's perceptions of those characters and [some word akin to "situation" or "instance" that is skirting about my consciousness... ARGH]s, changing the dynamics of the story. These are the sorts of cleanups that really need to occur.

... OK, this is really bugging me. I think I had it, but then I lost it. What is it...?
Danahell 13 years ago#9
Oh no I didn't mis anything...I just said that it wasn't as a bad as the game that had mistranslations at both critical and non critical points to the game plot like VII. Not only that, as I personally see it, the mistranslations presented in this topic although they are important they're not really that crucial to understand and grasp the main plot after all, in FFVII a simple mistake like "copy<---> clone" created confusion among many players and made it more difficult to grasp some parts of the game
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
Starloving_Fool 13 years ago#10
TJ, you wanna talk about mistranslations, lemme say that in the original translation of FFIV (i.e. Final Fantasy II US), lots of minor plot points were dropped:

SPOILERS!

- such as Cain/Kain's father being a dragoon and that being the reason why he wanted to be old too... or that Cecil was actually an orphan adopted by the King of Baron....

Point is, sometimes, plot points have to be sacrificed or edited for either content, space, or simply because there's no American equivalent in a translation from Japanese to English.

1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VIII
  3. Lost in Translation
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A