This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. About the Save Crystal glitch

User Info: badboy

badboy
4 weeks ago#1
Will it be safe if I don't overwrite my current saves? Did people who had the glitch rely on one save slot only?

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
4 weeks ago#2
Yeah, you're safe, it's not going to somehow infect your other saves. It's not just people who rely on one save slot who get burnt though, some people go and do hours of grinding before realizing they can't get out, so even with a new save maybe make sure you've run all the way through and can still get out before spending too long there.
Nothing to see here.

badboy
4 weeks ago#3
Does it happen when the person loads the save
Or can it break the game when the player saves?

shadow666
4 weeks ago#4
Occurs while making your way through, you don't even need to actually save for at least some ways of invoking it; the issue is caused by the existence of the save crystal on that screen essentially breaking the cutscene at the separation point, so when you return to that screen and the cutscene repeats but fails to complete, you're left trapped.

If you're worried, just don't use the save crystal on that screen. Maybe avoid the swamp rooms too; some people have also reported problems there, but that's an entirely different issue.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: Wbis

Wbis
4 weeks ago#5
I thought the glitch was caused by picking up the save Crystal too quickly at the entrance to the north cave? Doesn’t it only occur when you’re able to pick up the save crystal before the rock falls down, whereas you’re not supposed to be able to reach it before the rock falls down? Then the save crystal will bug out and lock you to any room you use it in. As long as you pick up the crystal after the rock falls down in the first area of north cave you should be fine
https://www.twitch.tv/WhamBam_tv - retro games, speedrunning and challenge runs. Hit me up with a follow to know when I'm live!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

badboy
4 weeks ago#6
Scary
So what is the closest place to the point of no return that is safe for its use?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

shadow666
4 weeks ago#7
Wbis posted...
I thought the glitch was caused by picking up the save Crystal too quickly at the entrance to the north cave? Doesn’t it only occur when you’re able to pick up the save crystal before the rock falls down, whereas you’re not supposed to be able to reach it before the rock falls down? Then the save crystal will bug out and lock you to any room you use it in. As long as you pick up the crystal after the rock falls down in the first area of north cave you should be fine
No, that'll have nothing to do with it. Once it's in your inventory, and you've used it to create a regular save point, how you picked it up doesn't matter. When the script for the splitting up starts it disables the ability to climb out of the area, so when you return and the cutscene goes off-script because it wasn't prepared for a save point there, the climb point is not re-enabled.

badboy posted...
So what is the closest place to the point of no return that is safe for its use?
Final room, before regrouping, should be fine. Point of no return is jumping into the pit, so you shouldn't accidentally go beyond it. You could also put the save crystal before splitting up or down the other routes. So long as you can run through and the save point works you should be ok, I don't recall any reports of being unexpectedly screwed over elsewhere.
Nothing to see here.

badboy
4 weeks ago#8
shadow666 posted...
Final room, before regrouping, should be fine. Point of no return is jumping into the pit, so you shouldn't accidentally go beyond it. You could also put the save crystal before splitting up or down the other routes. So long as you can run through and the save point works you should be ok, I don't recall any reports of being unexpectedly screwed over elsewhere.
I used it there and it was fine, thanks
I'm on the Switch version so it could be patched but I saw one guy wrote a comment on YouTube having this glitch on the PS4 version, which is probably the same as Switch, made me scared
I put it as precaution but I ended up using it because I lost in the first attempt again the last part of the boss (silly Cait Sith slots worked against me), so that was a good place to load the save
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. About the Save Crystal glitch
  • Topic Closed

GameFAQs Q&A