This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
1 month ago#41
GoukiAkujiki posted...
I know you can buy it but I’m trying to recall when and where. Can you remind me?

I just never would dedicate six materia slots to attack and heal. The latter can pretty much always be done between battles, and I like having more materia growing not three copies of Deathblow lol.

you can buy them in materia shops in disk 2

its not necessary for common fights for any means lol, but it is exceptionally good in the battle square so I def think it should count towards a "utility" argument for Vincent. For most random encounters Deathblow+Added cut alone is enough though
Learning something new everyday

User Info: TenchiHawkwing

TenchiHawkwing
4 weeks ago#42
I actually prefer Tifa gameplay wise even though she has worse limits at endgame and this is mostly because of how useful she is before endgame. Between God Hand, Powersoul, her limits being generally strong throughout much of the game and her early availability (since I don't like to grind out limit breaks for characters who join later).

It's true that characters do gain an edge later on like Barret, Yuffie and Cid but it either tends to take more effort than I'm willing to put in or comes in too late for me to care.
DD: DA (PS4)
PSN: HiouZetsuenshou, Pawn: Alexandra, Lv. 93 Ranger.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
4 weeks ago#43
TenchiHawkwing posted...
I actually prefer Tifa gameplay wise even though she has worse limits at endgame and this is mostly because of how useful she is before endgame. Between God Hand, Powersoul, her limits being generally strong throughout much of the game and her early availability (since I don't like to grind out limit breaks for characters who join later).

It's true that characters do gain an edge later on like Barret, Yuffie and Cid but it either tends to take more effort than I'm willing to put in or comes in too late for me to care.

The characters limit break usage and kills are scaled down for the characters that join later. Cid requires like no work at all even though he’s the last to join normally, for example.

Also, Cid is the best.

User Info: Tanthalas

Tanthalas
4 weeks ago#44
WhPlague posted...

He is the only character besides Cloud that can really seriously compete in the Battle Arena.

Um... no?
Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

User Info: ketoshi

ketoshi
4 weeks ago#45
Unfortunately his weapon progression is among the worst of all characters. His early steal, the Atomic Scissors (32 Atk), is short range, negating one of his major perks. His second douple AP weapon is also short range, as is his joke weapon and his Wutai shop weapon. So his best long range weapons on Disc 1 are Heavy Vulcan (39 Atk, Cosmo Canyon) and W Machine Gun (30 Atk, Double AP, Mt. Corel). He only gets major damage upgrades at Icicle Inn and Mideel, but then all his three end-game weapons with 90+ Atk only come jumbled together during the Midgar raid. Missing Score, while it has super high potential, needs some serious time investment and will lag behind other ultimate weapons in more streamlined playthroughs.

Compare this to...

...Tifa, who goes crazy with the Powersoul as soon as you get the Death Sentence E. Skill from the Cave of the Gi, doing 4 or even 8 times the damage, and has Double AP on top of it. She can get her ultimate weapon a lot earlier as well, right after Cloud returns. If you know how to use it (full Limit bar with Deathblow+Added Cut), it's super powerful. She also gets the God's Hand with 255 Atk% from Carry Armor.

...Aerith, who gets the earliest stealable weapon with the Striking Staff (32 Atk, Train Graveyard), the earliest possible joke weapon with the Umbrella (58 Atk, 20 Vit), the first Double AP weapon at the same time as Barret (Mt. Corel) and the second one from Gi Nattak. With the Umbrella, she becomes a better front row option in Wutai not only for damage, but also for magical and physical defence.

...Red, who gets his Double AP weapon with a respectable 37 Atk the earliest if you do the first Fort Condor fight straight away. He then gets the ridiculously overpowered Seraph Comb with 68 Atk after Cosmo Canyon and his joke weapon (57 Atk) found in Wutai is actually long range, making him a better back row option for an early Wutai quest. He can also get the incredibly powerful Spring Gun Clip (87 Atk, 55 Mag, 6 linked slots) from the Ancient Forest as soon as you get the Highwind, if you can be bothered to breed merely a Green Chocobo. His ultimate weapon has very reliable bonus damage as long as you watch his MP.

...Yuffie, who has a slightly earlier Double AP weapon with 30 Atk on the Cargo Ship and an actual long range second Double AP weapon with 36 Atk in Nibelheim. She gets the very powerful Magic Shuriken (64 Atk, 10 Dex) in Wutai and one of few medium damage Double AP weapons from Diamond Weapon (68 Atk, 4 linked slots). Her ultimate weapon is unarguably the best ultimate weapon in low level runs, since it does not take into account her level. It also provides Morph with full damage.

...Cait Sith, who... is the one worse choice.

...Vincent, who gets a Double AP weapon with 38 Atk before you even meet him. He then immediately gets the first and by far earliest Deathblow abuse weapon (42 Atk, 255 Atk%) making him a much better long range attacker than Barret. It lets him easily avoid his limit in situations where it can be problematic, although I am a proponent of his limit breaks in general. Due to the damage formula, the Sniper CR can carry him easily until he gets an upgrade with the Long Barrel R (66 Atk, 255 Atk%). Barret can't touch this kind of back row damage until the very end-game. Alternatively, you can dig out the Buntline (48 Atk, Double AP) right after the Temple of the Ancients, if you are really going for AP growth. While his ultimate weapon is absolute cack in any sane playthrough, he has two very good end-game alternatives if you want to use him as a mage primarily, Supershot ST (97 Atk, 52 Mag, 6 linked slots, but no Materia growth) and Outsider (80 Atk, 48 Mag, 4 linked and 4 unlinked slots).

...Cid, who gets the 66 Atk Dragoon Lance in Wutai, the arguably best AP growth weapon Javelin at Gaea's Cliff (5x Double AP), one of only two Triple AP weapons with 86 Atk at the Junon Underwater Reactor and the same, consistent ultimate weapon as Red.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Gumbotron

Gumbotron
3 weeks ago#46
Yea, I mostly agree.

Cloud is, well, the MC. Even if he wasn't, him having Apocalypse would still keep him relevant.

Barret is good dps, probably the best dps. Missing Score + Angermax is super easy to understand. You can also mess around with Mindblow.

Tifa is not that great tbf. The 7 slot limit eats time to use and can still miss. Her ultimate weap is the worst due to the bug. Character wise, she's a doormat, that never did it for me. Looks amazing though.

Aerith is broken. Everyone can deal damage. Only 2 can heal with at limit priority. She does it by far better than Yuffie. She also drives the main story. I can see some ppl finding her annoying, but not me.

Red XIII has self-buff limits, but is really hurt by the damage cap. I get serious feels from the Seto story.

Yuffie is imo, the best character late game. The ability to heal for 50% at limit speed for a level 1 limit is amazing. Conformer is great, nuff said. She even has an 8 slot Oritsuru. Seriously hated her guts when she stole materia for the first time.

Cait Sith is a character I never understood.

Vincent is meh. Maxing Death Penalty is a tall mountain to climb, when we have Missing Score and Conformer. His limits take control away from you, and takes a really long time to kill things. It's like watching a Kotr that doesn't do damage on loop. He was the edge character before edge was a thing.

Cid is nice. He's got Scimitar and Grow Lance. So he is the best AP grinder. Good damage too, but Venus Gospel being tied to MP gives him a hard time against ruby and emerald.

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
3 weeks ago#47
Gumbotron posted...
Missing Score + Angermax is super easy to understand

this combo does nothing special as ultimate weapon modifiers do not affect limit breaks
Learning something new everyday

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
3 weeks ago#48
UnlessJack posted...
MEGAze posted...
Althalus2013 posted...
MEGAze posted...
Althalus2013 posted...
Yuffie goes over to try and comfort Cloud but breaks down instead and lets Cloud comfort her.

That's an interesting take on the scene.

Well given that it's what literally everyone else does before paying their respects to Aeris, I figured that's how it was. Even if I'm wrong, she shows a vulnerability and a trust in Cloud.

Everyone? I feel like only a few people did try to comfort Cloud. But Yuffie was, up until this point, a character who wanted Cloud to comfort her.

Yuffie definitely looked like she was the one who wanted to be comforted. She even did the little "I'm not gonna cry" arms shake then collapses into his arms.

Considering the culture surrounding the game (semi-conservative, Japanese), that seemed like the most natural way to take things.
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
3 weeks ago#49
What does "dps" mean? Just curious.

Love Barret. I like his character arc.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
3 weeks ago#50
SSj4Wingzero posted...
What does "dps" mean? Just curious.

Love Barret. I like his character arc.

Damage per second
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)