This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)

User Info: RoyMustang1990

RoyMustang1990
2 months ago#11
Barrets personality ,character interaction and back story puts him as the second to worse main character for me
My waifu is Riza Hawkeye. " I'm going to close my account.you win roymustang1990" - tappor
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
2 months ago#12
Barret is almost always in my party, in practically any style playthrough. Love his backstory and the firepower he adds to the group. One of the best characters from any point of view imo.

User Info: ZenTea

ZenTea
2 months ago#13
RoyMustang1990 posted...
Barrets personality ,character interaction and back story puts him as the second to worse main character for me

This, first half the game he’s f***ing annoying.
And it’s utterly laughable to even pretend he’s more important then Cloud. Not even close. Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.
Final Fantasy - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC67YhUXxf253c2UpVjKD5qg Monster Hunter - https://www.youtube.com/c/Zentea

User Info: Reciful_II

Reciful_II
2 months ago#14
I actually just completed a playthrough without Barret just because I realised I always use him.

Never again
It doesn't matter what I put in here, it's probably been done already

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
2 months ago#15
WhPlague posted...
He is the only character besides Cloud that can really seriously compete in the Battle Arena. The others are just too weak, or their weapons/limits are just not good enough.

I like Barrett, but Cid is no slouch. Venus Gospel is very easy to maintain thanks to Magic Hammer, you basically will always hit 3x damage so long as you dont take the MP=0 penalty. Highwind is also insanely good without the need to grind to make it hit harder (11/16 damage vs .5 damage per hit). Give him Mug+Added Cut and you can hold his limit as long as you need, and from that point on he has every other meaningful advantage over Barrett (magic power, spirit, speed)

Barrett is the most optimal character when you invest the resources (for both his ultimate weapon and for buffing Ungermax) but as a conventionally efficient character Yuffie and Cid have him beat. And for 2 disks of the game, id say even Vincent does. Deathblow+Added cut is a superbly powerful combo that he can use fairly early in thw game, and he can link a 2nd copy with HP Absorb to be an insanely self sufficient character. Throw on added effect+time and you have 2 chances to inflict time every single turn

Coupled with the fact that Vincent can get his lv3 limit very early (a mere 96 kills) and Id argue Vincent is in the running for best Disk 1 character in the game
Learning something new everyday

User Info: Althalus2013

Althalus2013
2 months ago#16
Gameplay-wise, it's been too long since I played to have a well-informed opinion (been busy with education and new releases).

Story-wise, I adore Yuffie. So many people think of her as a "rude brat," even if they acknowledge some of the more badass stuff she does but if you actually take the time to keep her in your party she's got so many softer moments which just make her so adorable.

For instance, she's the only character who actually kisses Cloud in the date scene, showing that she's more affectionate than anyone would initially give her credit for. Also more affectionate than literally anyone else in the party. As well as this, when Aeris dies, Yuffie goes over to try and comfort Cloud but breaks down instead and lets Cloud comfort her. If you've had her since Rocket Town and kept her in your party, the emotional development from brash thief to being willing to bare her soul like that, it's a really compelling journey.
Piano, turkey, Donald Trump's down-belows, Arkansas wardrobe, flagellation, polar bears - it's beans! Can we expect any nuclear fallout today, John? Certainly!

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
2 months ago#17
Althalus2013 posted...
Yuffie goes over to try and comfort Cloud but breaks down instead and lets Cloud comfort her.

That's an interesting take on the scene.
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5

User Info: ZenTea

ZenTea
2 months ago#18
bvillebro posted...
WhPlague posted...
He is the only character besides Cloud that can really seriously compete in the Battle Arena. The others are just too weak, or their weapons/limits are just not good enough.

I like Barrett, but Cid is no slouch. Venus Gospel is very easy to maintain thanks to Magic Hammer, you basically will always hit 3x damage so long as you dont take the MP=0 penalty. Highwind is also insanely good without the need to grind to make it hit harder (11/16 damage vs .5 damage per hit). Give him Mug+Added Cut and you can hold his limit as long as you need, and from that point on he has every other meaningful advantage over Barrett (magic power, spirit, speed)

Barrett is the most optimal character when you invest the resources (for both his ultimate weapon and for buffing Ungermax) but as a conventionally efficient character Yuffie and Cid have him beat. And for 2 disks of the game, id say even Vincent does. Deathblow+Added cut is a superbly powerful combo that he can use fairly early in thw game, and he can link a 2nd copy with HP Absorb to be an insanely self sufficient character. Throw on added effect+time and you have 2 chances to inflict time every single turn

Coupled with the fact that Vincent can get his lv3 limit very early (a mere 96 kills) and Id argue Vincent is in the running for best Disk 1 character in the game

I LOVE Vincent, but he’s by far the worst character in the game with almost zero utility and his limit breaks actually make him worse.

Only thing about him that’s good are the glitches/exploits he can pull off, but other then that he really is terrible. Lowest DPT, no utility.

But he looks cool and his story & background are awesome so I use him, but let’s not pretend he’s actually a good character.
Final Fantasy - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC67YhUXxf253c2UpVjKD5qg Monster Hunter - https://www.youtube.com/c/Zentea

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
2 months ago#19
What was the original post that sparked that 4 hour debate?
Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
2 months ago#20
ZenTea posted...
bvillebro posted...
WhPlague posted...

I LOVE Vincent, but he’s by far the worst character in the game with almost zero utility and his limit breaks actually make him worse.

Only thing about him that’s good are the glitches/exploits he can pull off, but other then that he really is terrible. Lowest DPT, no utility.

But he looks cool and his story & background are awesome so I use him, but let’s not pretend he’s actually a good character.

you should reread what i was talking about. No glitches, no exploits. Just using his 255 % weapon to get deathblow+added cut every turn, which makes his damage per turn higher than everyone else in the game until Tifa gets the curse ring.

What utility are you referring to? How much utility are the other characters bringing to the table disk 1/2?

I dont think Vincent is god tier which is why i dont try to describe him as such. But for the time period i described, how is he not in running for best character? You didnt really refute anything I brought up. He hits very hard, can stay in the back row, has one of the best magic stats, and his lv3 limit break in no way makes him worse. It makes him the most durable character you can ask for, who does 2.5x damage per turn and occassionally inflicts a slew of status effects that most enemies in the game are still susceptible to.

How is that a character lacking in damage or utility?
Learning something new everyday
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)
  • Post New Message