This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)

User Info: WhPlague

WhPlague
1 month ago#1
In my humble opinion, that I've held since the first time I played the game, Barret is the best character of FF7, both for storyline and gameplay.

He starts out being an a******, selfish terrorist but OPENLY states his own doubts and changes positions, several times througout the game, to finally become full fledged selfless heroic. He even acknowledges he can't actually lead the team and cedes it to Cid midgame.

He highly distrusts newcomers but it changes to warm friendship once they prove themselves. That's actually highly realistic, and how most people would react in real life in similar situations.
Barret is the anchor of how real people would act in FF7 if put in their shoes, more than any other character.

He is the character that is available for the largest % of the game. The ONLY part in the entire game where you can't have him in the party is the short aeris recruiting - wall market segment (which has more Sierra adventure game elements to it than RPG anyway). So he has more gameplay availability than any character in the game, even Cloud (although he doesn't share his MANDATORY party inclusion status, obviously)

He is the only character besides Cloud that can really seriously compete in the Battle Arena. The others are just too weak, or their weapons/limits are just not good enough.
Barret with a Magic Plus materia is just as good as Cloud with a Long range materia.

I don't hate the other characters. Except Cait Sith and Vincent. Vincent is WEAK AS HELL as a character. ALL Flash, no substance.
------------------------------
A few months ago a poster linked to an interesting 3 hour debate about Barret on youtube. Can you make another debate, please?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Litane

Litane
1 month ago#2
I love Barret as a character. He starts out all aggressive and blustery, but by the end he softens and you can tell how much he really cares for everyone in the group. He is the one who keeps everyone together when Meteor is looming. Cloud and Aeris are gone. Tifa has given up. Everyone is dejected but Barret is there to deliver a rousing speech and a kick in the ass. He has his faults and in Midgar I'd say he's actually quite unlikable but he pretty much carries the game for most of disc 2.

I wonder if the poster who had a debate on Youtube was @MEGAze?
I've got the house all to myself, I've got the world all to myself.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
1 month ago#3
Litane posted...
I love Barret as a character. He starts out all aggressive and blustery, but by the end he softens and you can tell how much he really cares for everyone in the group. He is the one who keeps everyone together when Meteor is looming. Cloud and Aeris are gone. Tifa has given up. Everyone is dejected but Barret is there to deliver a rousing speech and a kick in the ass. He has his faults and in Midgar I'd say he's actually quite unlikable but he pretty much carries the game for most of disc 2.

A debate?

@WhPlague --Oh yeah, that was me.

I'd love to make more. But I can only do debates if people want to have them with me. Most people prefer forum posts unfortunately.
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Litane

Litane
1 month ago#4
MEGAze posted...
Litane posted...

A debate?

At the end of his post OP mentioned someone had a 3 hour debate on Youtube about Barret. You immediately popped into my head.
I've got the house all to myself, I've got the world all to myself.

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
1 month ago#5
Litane posted...
MEGAze posted...
Litane posted...

A debate?

At the end of his post OP mentioned someone had a 3 hour debate on Youtube about Barret. You immediately popped into my head.

Funny thing is I have better equipment for it now than back then, but yeah that was great. Here's the guy's YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/Feathermind
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5

User Info: UnlessJack

UnlessJack
1 month ago#6
Meh, Cid's better in my book. His character arc hit way harder for me and he manages to grow twice as much in half the time. He's much more relatable than a one handed eco terrorist that lost his entire family due to a world wide energy conglomerate deciding to up and murder everyone due to a misunderstanding.

WhPlague posted...
He is the only character besides Cloud that can really seriously compete in the Battle Arena. The others are just too weak, or their weapons/limits are just not good enough.
Barret with a Magic Plus materia is just as good as Cloud with a Long range materia.

That's just not true. Any character in the game can do that, even Vincent and Cait. His weapons aren't even that great, Missing Score is great but requires pretty heavy grinding to outdo the others and even then everyone already easily hits the damage cap. His stats are physically solid but he's slow has awful magic stats all around (not that stats are different enough for any character besides Aerith to make any real difference so its kind of a moot point to begin with). His limits are good, but Cid and Cloud are just as good if not better without massive grinding.
I feel Futurama was, is, and always will be underappreciated...

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#7
I prefer Yuffie on both aspects.

Gameplay:
Long range attacks, high speed, healing and high damaging limits, good attack and gets her ultimate weapon early which leads to her being absolutely killer.

Story:
She’s a kid who is doing a pretty pragmatic job at leading her nation/culture in resistance against the world’s most powerful oligarchy.

Sure Barret also tries to fight Shinra, but his fight just leads to unnecessary destruction and death that doesn’t do any good (and gets his comrades killed). Yuffie, on the other hand, has a much better strategy in my opinion. It definitely pisses off the party (and many players as a result), but robbing a small group of people of their materia is hardly as inhumane as what we see from Avalanche. And it should be pretty effective too (as she plans on bringing some back after the end of the game), because the party’s materia is pretty rare and valuable, and clearly enables a small group of mostly normal people to go up against Shinra and many super god-beasts. So in the hands of a highly trained ninja clan, Yuffie could really give them a massive advantage.

So yeah, she’s a rude brat, but she’s also a badass revolutionary with intentions to help an entire nation overthrow their conquerors, which she will likely succeed in pulling off after the game ends even though she’s just a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: lucthelad

lucthelad
1 month ago#8
It's quite obvious that Cloud and Cid are the best two gameplaywise (like, for winning battles while using). After that, for the third best gameplaywise, it's debatable with Barret, Yuffie, and (if you count her) Aeris being the main contenders.

For story, it's debatable of course, but I like Barret a lot too. And Yuffie. And Cid. And...
<cite>HelpMePlox posted...</cite>
A 1:3 ratio would mean that out of a 100 RPG's, 66.6 would be J and 33.3 would be W.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Chariot_of_God

Chariot_of_God
1 month ago#9
Yuffie and Barret are the best characters in the game imo. My party is always Cloud, Barret and Yuffie now.

People have already mentioned in this thread the reasons I like Barret and Yuffie the best story wise.

Combat wise, Barret and Yuffie are both Long Range badasses, meaning I can easily have an entire back row party for the vast majority of the game.

Also, my two favorite limits are Doom of the Living and Omnislash...lol Love firing both off right after each other (when a fight lasts long enough to do that), nothing like watching 2 characters go apes*** on the enemies one after the other...lol
PSN: OsCGunslinger - XBL: OsC Binary

User Info: paull7

paull7
1 month ago#10
Barret, Cid, Red, Vincent and Cloud are all great characters.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Barret is the best character of FF7 (storyline and gameplay)