This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Advice about a planned tactic...

User Info: Crazy4Metroid

Crazy4Metroid
3 months ago#1
Between the two super Bosses, Emerald and Ruby Weapons, I beat Emerald once a long time ago. I've never beaten Ruby and that has been a sore spot for me. I need to put that SOB to rest for the sake of my own sanity. Currently, I am a long way from the opportunity to challenge him, I just got Cloud back at Mideel. Although I have a long way to go, I have already begun planning.

Here is what I am planning. I intend to equip only Cloud with any Materia, the other two will be KO'd for the purposes of this battle. I am thinking of setting Cloud up with a W-Summon/KOTR combo and a Mime Materia. I am planning on having Cloud double summon KOTR at the start and then just mimic the summon on each of his successive turns.

I just don't know if KOTR can be used on Ruby. I believe I tried a KOTR summon strategy once in the late 1990s which didn't work. Back then I was using a party with all three characters active, and Ruby if I remember right retaliated to KOTR by using his quicksand attack to remove the character from battle. Unfortunately, that messed up my plan because I was planning to just have the other two equipped with Mime Materias and the one that got removed was the one who had my KOTR Materia.

Can KOTR be used against Ruby without risk of the quicksand attack if only one character is active?
I hate it when threads get high jacked by Twitheads and Facebook fools!

User Info: WingedMasamune

WingedMasamune
3 months ago#2
Whirlsand won't be used if you go in with 2 characters K.O.'d. You are able to revive them once Ruby buries his tentacles without worrying about Whirlsand. IIRC he won't use it again until after resetting his A.I. which is like after 50+ turns.

Few things to remember:
Ruby is invincible if the Tentacles are above ground.
Ruby will counter Summons with Ultima, unless it's paralyzed.
Ruby can be inflicted with Paralyze by using the Dazers battle item.
Only piercing types will deal full damage to Ruby (e.g. KOTR, Bahamut summons)
Ruby's Tentacles inflict nasty statuses so protection like Ribbons will help.
Absorbing or blocking the Fire element will help too.
PSN: Grekaosangel

User Info: UnlessJack

UnlessJack
3 months ago#3
So I just did these yesterday so I'll leave them here reference
https://youtu.be/-kbNBvc-lw8
Emerald is pretty straight forward with just one character. Kill the eyes when they appear, which is pretty easy, especially with mime and KOTR. It's a good idea to either pop 4 hero drinks or cast Dragon Force twice for the defense boosts, especially if you plan on using just one person because Cloud WILL have to eat a lot of attacks. You'll need hp absorb on mime to heal if you want to keep the mime chain going.

https://youtu.be/5UwKR2QIEYQ
Ruby is significantly easier with just one character because it won't whirl sand period. Again, dragon force helps cut damage to the point where you pretty much can't die. Just make sure you pack a ribbon and some sort of fire immunity and link hp and mp absorb to your Knights of the Round.
I feel Futurama was, is, and always will be underappreciated...

Crazy4Metroid
3 months ago#4
Another tactic I've started considering is waiting until I've taught Cloud Omnislash. Going in with his limit break fully charged, using omnislash at the start, and then just miming it from that point. Are limit breaks piercing?

User Info: WingedMasamune

WingedMasamune
3 months ago#5
Crazy4Metroid posted...
Another tactic I've started considering is waiting until I've taught Cloud Omnislash. Going in with his limit break fully charged, using omnislash at the start, and then just miming it from that point. Are limit breaks piercing?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197341-final-fantasy-vii/62885274

No. Looks like Yuffie's Gauntlet Limit is the only exception. Summons are still going to be the best option.
PSN: Grekaosangel

User Info: XavierHollywood

XavierHollywood
3 months ago#6
Hades causes paralysis on Ruby as well so you can just w summon kotr and hades the whole time and he will sit there like a rock till he is dead

When i did it years ago i came in with everyone alive, used dazers on him to paralyze him quicky then just w summoned hades/kotr and mimed it over and over. I dont recall Ruby hitting me one time let alone killing anyone

Crazy4Metroid
3 months ago#7
Hmm... Double summon Hades and KOTR. That's something I didn't even consider. These days I seldom use summon materia anymore. It's not that hard for me to take down most enemies via LIghtning, Fire, or Ice paired with an All Materia. Even most bosses aren't enough to make me want to pull out my summon materias.

User Info: LaSaiaV2

LaSaiaV2
3 months ago#8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEV5Y912GqA
"everything 8 can do, 7 does better, and connects better" - Lockeadon on Final Fantasy

User Info: DynamixDJ

DynamixDJ
3 months ago#9
Using the ???? Enemy Skill is a viable strategy.

Equip Mystiles as standard for Ruby, which will mean her attacks will occasionally miss, and give every one ribbons. Set the ATB to 'Wait' and slow the battle speed all the way down.

Go into the battle with one character alive, then wait for Ruby to but her tentacles. Then, W-Item a Spider Web and Dazers *in that order* (to prolong the effects of Paralyzed), then W-Item a Phoenix Down on both your KOd characters.

If all of your character's Lv is divisible by four, then it *really* helps, as you can use L4 Suicide to bring their HP down to critical. It also helps if all three characters have 9999 Max HP, as each cast of ???? will deal 9000+ HP with each hit.

It may seem difficult, but it's not, as the Tentacles attacks (that are used as a counter) are always %-based, so they cannot kill the character. The trick is to wait with ???? selected as the attack, with the finger icon on Ruby, but *do not* confirm the attack until the current animation has finished playing, and the battle is idle once more. This way you can asses if Ruby needs another Dazer or not. It will also prolong the amount of time she spends Paralyzed, as you will be holding the ATB on 'Wait' for the whole animation that is playing, instead of just some.

You won't need Megalixirs, just Phoenix Downs for this. If Ruby does manage to use Ultima or Comet2, then the Mystiles should make it so that at least one character evades the attack. It will take around 95 uses of ???? to perform this strategy and can easily be completed with a Lv 60 Cloud and mid-fifties for the other two.
FFVII Walkthrough: http://www.neoseeker.com/final-fantasy-vii/faqs/1733032-dynamixdj.html
PasteBin Page: https://pastebin.com/u/DynamixDJ

User Info: Chariot_of_God

Chariot_of_God
3 months ago#10
Hades (Or Master Summon)-Quad Magic, KotR-HP Absorb, Counter-Mime, Final Attack-Pheonix, Long Range, W-Summon

That setup usually worked for me; to be honest, final attack pheonix wasn’t needed when doing this setup, but I liked the safety net.

Start by w-summoning Hades then KotR; then start your Mime chaining. Hades should keep ruby paralyzed, KoTR will do the damage and heal.

Counter is set on mime, so every time you are hit (not by a counter attack from ruby) you will deal damage back, paralyze ruby again, and heal yourself.

I’ve also done it:
Master Summon-Quad Magic, Bahamut Zero-HP Absorb, Final Attack-Pheonix, Counter-Mime, Long Range, W-Summon

This just switches KotR for 4x Bahamut Zero casts; a bit slower, but still very winnable.
PSN: OsCGunslinger - XBL: OsC Binary
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Advice about a planned tactic...
  • Topic Archived