This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. What are this game factors that make you consider this game is a masterpiece?

User Info: alcoria

alcoria
1 month ago#1
After nearly 22 years passed since this game was released worldwide, I put myself to try this game. While I haven't beat it, yet, now I kind of understand why people say this game is a masterpiece. The story and setting for the game really hooked me. The scores for the game also nailed down inside my head. As for the gameplay, so far I enjoyed it, especially the materia system, the relationships between the character is well written IMO.

That's why I've been thinking, what are the factors from this game that make you think this game can be considered as a masterpiece? I'm asking this to gather more information so I can enjoy this game more than I have right now.
Is it me or gaming become more expensive, especially if you are a college student

User Info: Chariot_of_God

Chariot_of_God
1 month ago#2
I think you nailed the high points in my opinion.

For me:
1. I really enjoy the story, and believe it has resonance with issues we face in the real world today.
2. The characters are largely enjoyable, and all exist somewhere in the grey area, excluding perhaps Aeris, there are no truly “good” characters.
3. The main villain is kind of badass, and in my opinion, has more detailed explanation for his actions than many FF games. He isn’t some twist “this was the really villain after all” like some FF games.
4. While the graphics are dated now, the game’s art still is interesting and varied.
5. The soundtrack is amazing.
6. The game is not overly difficult, so one can largely focus on the story; but it still provides fun combat.
7. Materia system is the best FF character development system, excluding perhaps the job system of FFV and FFT (note, I never played, V, but know they have similar job systems). The flexibility in character builds is great with materia system, without being overly convoluted.
8. Some of the best minigames in a jrpg, Chocobo racing, snowboarding, submarine game, battle square; all can be enjoyable.

Those are my major reasons.
PSN: OsCGunslinger - XBL: OsC Binary

User Info: Xenoy

Xenoy
1 month ago#3
Chariot_of_God posted...
I think you nailed the high points in my opinion.

For me:
1. I really enjoy the story, and believe it has resonance with issues we face in the real world today.
2. The characters are largely enjoyable, and all exist somewhere in the grey area, excluding perhaps Aeris, there are no truly “good” characters.
3. The main villain is kind of badass, and in my opinion, has more detailed explanation for his actions than many FF games. He isn’t some twist “this was the really villain after all” like some FF games.
4. While the graphics are dated now, the game’s art still is interesting and varied.
5. The soundtrack is amazing.
6. The game is not overly difficult, so one can largely focus on the story; but it still provides fun combat.
7. Materia system is the best FF character development system, excluding perhaps the job system of FFV and FFT (note, I never played, V, but know they have similar job systems). The flexibility in character builds is great with materia system, without being overly convoluted.
8. Some of the best minigames in a jrpg, Chocobo racing, snowboarding, submarine game, battle square; all can be enjoyable.

Those are my major reasons.

Yeah, these pretty much. +1 for the materia system and Cloud being my role model for life.

User Info: DynamixDJ

DynamixDJ
1 month ago#4
I think the pacing is a very important factor, also. The whole Midgar sequence flows incredibly well imo
FFVII Walkthrough: http://www.neoseeker.com/final-fantasy-vii/faqs/1733032-dynamixdj.html
PasteBin Page: https://pastebin.com/u/DynamixDJ

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
1 month ago#5
Chariot_of_God posted...
(note, I never played, V, but know they have similar job systems)

What are you waiting for? Go, go, go! It's time to party, say hi to Bartz and Boko for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: Chariot_of_God

Chariot_of_God
1 month ago#6
Calmlander posted...
Chariot_of_God posted...

What are you waiting for? Go, go, go! It's time to party, say hi to Bartz and Boko for me!

Lol I should look into it, because FFT is my 3rd favorite game of all time...but I always forget about it...lol
PSN: OsCGunslinger - XBL: OsC Binary

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
1 month ago#7
Chariot_of_God posted...
Calmlander posted...
Chariot_of_God posted...

Lol I should look into it, because FFT is my 3rd favorite game of all time...but I always forget about it...lol

As opposed to FFT and VII grittiness, FFV is based in the Neverending Story, so expect something lighter storywise. Gameplaywise however, some enemies are brutal and really mean, and learning how the system works and what abilities are more useful will take you a to the game over screen a few times.

ALSO HAS GILGAMESH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
1 month ago#8
I thought the protagonist in FFV was named Butz.

User Info: Haste_2

Haste_2
1 month ago#9
1) The Materia system
2) Story applies spiritual/scientific/magic ideas that all kind of blend together.

I guess those are the two main things.
Congrats to Advokaiser on pwning me in CBX!
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. What are this game factors that make you consider this game is a masterpiece?