This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why do Barret & Co. say 'earlier marked' at the beginning of the game?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
4 weeks ago#1
I never really understood this thing - Barret and some other member of his team keep saying that the buttons were "earlier marked" in various ways, but what's the point of that?
Here is an example:

"If you push the Directional button while pushing the [CANCEL] button to run. (earlier marked X)"

EDIT:
It seems to be some form of mistranslation, since the Japanese version can be roughly translated as "initial state".
So maybe Barret means that the X button is the default run button?
Hey look, I got a new signature, lololol.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: MEGAze

MEGAze
4 weeks ago#2
Peter_19 posted...
I never really understood this thing - Barret and some other member of his team keep saying that the buttons were "earlier marked" in various ways, but what's the point of that?
Here is an example:

"If you push the Directional button while pushing the [CANCEL] button to run. (earlier marked X)"

EDIT:
It seems to be some form of mistranslation, since the Japanese version can be roughly translated as "initial state".
So maybe Barret means that the X button is the default run button?

Yep.
RebelOfDaNew: https://t2m.io/PF0B2HLT
DallasTheManipulator: https://t2m.io/VyVj1lT5
(message deleted)

User Info: simondrake

simondrake
4 weeks ago#4
Huh, neat.
I always assumed it was referring to the manual, demo or anywhere else it might have mentioned "Press X to continue".
I thought it was saying: "Previously we referred to the X Button but from now on we're going to call it the Cancel Button to reduce confusion incase you've remapped the buttons. "

But your explanation makes more sense.
To strive, to seek, to find. And not to yield.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why do Barret & Co. say 'earlier marked' at the beginning of the game?