This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. looking to spice up a play through.
I’ve grown bored of the old “hair pulling out, frustratingly hard” challenges. But some of my most enjoyable “challenges” where command materia only, and enemy skill only. So what are some good restrictions to add to those that are fun, up the difficulty, but also not too frustrating or hard? I’m not sure if I’m gonna go with es and manip only, or just command only.

User Info: DynamixDJ

DynamixDJ
1 month ago#2
I've had the idea for a challenge run-through recently. The idea would be that there are no limitations to the materia and equipment you can use; the main difference is the fact that I would lock the character's Lv at whatever they were at the time of recruiting, and not allow them to gain any experience at all.

Glitches would be off the table such as W-Item and the infinites elixir glitch, but other than that anything goes, except for one rule: I'm not allowed to spend tedious amounts of grinding to get loads of Right Arms/ get all Limit Breaks early/ Level up all of my materia really early..

It would have to be somehwat of a natural playthrough. Spending time to fight the Eligor for the Striking Staff, and making sure I have at least 2 Graviballs for the Zolom is OK. Spending 5 mins on Corel's bridge to get 5 or 6 Right Arms is allowed. Grinding to get Yuffie at Junon is allowed, but *no* grinding in the Mythril Mine Caverns to gain AP and Limit kills.

Yuffie may be a problem, as I think the lowest her Lv can be is 19, although I'd have to check that. Her Conformer would be the key to defeating the late-game bosses, but I don't want to ruin the playthrough by using a Lv 19 Yuffie, so I'd have to do a small amount of AI script editing so that the GlobalVar for Yuffie's Lv was set to 7 or 8.

I think it could make a very interesting playthrough; one would be relying purely on knowledge of the game, and intelligent use of Items etc. That single War Gong or Loco Weed could mean the difference between failure and success.
FFVII Walkthrough: http://www.neoseeker.com/final-fantasy-vii/faqs/1733032-dynamixdj.html
PasteBin Page: https://pastebin.com/u/DynamixDJ

DynamixDJ
1 month ago#3
Oh yeah, and no escapes allowed, with the exception of Smoke Bombs in the Battle Square. No Exit Materia
FFVII Walkthrough: http://www.neoseeker.com/final-fantasy-vii/faqs/1733032-dynamixdj.html

User Info: loseless

loseless
1 month ago#4
Initial equip, level 1 limits only. This can be pretty interesting. You can also add a permanent materia allocation and only one copy of each materia allowed (once inserted into a slot, it can't be used by anyone else).

This can be quite a challenge, due to the low level of slots. It also makes Vincent and especially Cid overpowered as heck, given their initial equipment, while making Barret, Tifa, Cloud and Aeris almost worthless.

You can also take the accessories to make it extra difficult.

It is a grind oriented challenge but it doesn't change the way you play too much, other than forcing you to consider who gets what materia. What it does is killing some characters.

Barret, Tifa and Aeris only have one slot on the worst weapons in the game. Being long range makes for a poor case, when Yuffie can outperform and outdamage Barret in every way, while having an healing limit. Aeris is pretty useless. Tifa can hit twice with her limit, but that does not make for her lousy weapon.

Red has more slots and an interesting second limit and more slots than Tifa, Barret, Aeris and Cloud combined. He has good stats and can attack both physically and magically, so he's the solid choice until the end of disc 1. Same goes for Yuffie, with the added bonus of having an healing limit and being long range.

Cait Sith is decent. Doesn't offer much in terms of limits and is outperformed by Cid and Vincent in every other way.

Finally, Vincent and Cid. They are the best choices, really. Vincent being long ranged and having excellent magic stats and Cid having the best level 1 limits in the game. If you somehow manage to survive without allocating Restore materia until you get Vincent, he makes an excellent healer. Cloud can also do that, but that would mean he has to use both slots (Restore + All).

Cloud: Enemy Skill, Long Range
Cid: Revive, Steal, Manipulate, Double Cut (four slots left)
Vincent: Restore + All, Comet, Magic Plus, Slash All, Ultima (two slots left)

Might be harder than it looks...
the master samurai 1 month ago#5
Well, I do want to do something with enemy skill materia and ban magic. My plan is to do only magic till I get matra magic tho. And I can’t hack the game in any way, so anything that requires editing is off the table. As for limits and straight up physicals, I’m banning them.

User Info: Szymaa

Szymaa
1 month ago#6
the master samurai posted...
Well, I do want to do something with enemy skill materia and ban magic. My plan is to do only magic till I get matra magic tho. And I can’t hack the game in any way, so anything that requires editing is off the table. As for limits and straight up physicals, I’m banning them.

I mean, it's your challenge dude. Sounds like you want to do a kind of Enemy-Skill Only, so I would say play however you want until you leave Midgar and then it's game on.
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 month ago#7
DynamixDJ posted...
I've had the idea for a challenge run-through recently. The idea would be that there are no limitations to the materia and equipment you can use; the main difference is the fact that I would lock the character's Lv at whatever they were at the time of recruiting, and not allow them to gain any experience at all.

Glitches would be off the table such as W-Item and the infinites elixir glitch, but other than that anything goes, except for one rule: I'm not allowed to spend tedious amounts of grinding to get loads of Right Arms/ get all Limit Breaks early/ Level up all of my materia really early..

It would have to be somehwat of a natural playthrough. Spending time to fight the Eligor for the Striking Staff, and making sure I have at least 2 Graviballs for the Zolom is OK. Spending 5 mins on Corel's bridge to get 5 or 6 Right Arms is allowed. Grinding to get Yuffie at Junon is allowed, but *no* grinding in the Mythril Mine Caverns to gain AP and Limit kills.

Yuffie may be a problem, as I think the lowest her Lv can be is 19, although I'd have to check that. Her Conformer would be the key to defeating the late-game bosses, but I don't want to ruin the playthrough by using a Lv 19 Yuffie, so I'd have to do a small amount of AI script editing so that the GlobalVar for Yuffie's Lv was set to 7 or 8.

I think it could make a very interesting playthrough; one would be relying purely on knowledge of the game, and intelligent use of Items etc. That single War Gong or Loco Weed could mean the difference between failure and success.

What would Yuffie’s stats look like at 7 or 8? I know she starts at really low bases but they normal out because of her standard base starting level.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#8
The only “challenge” that matters to me:
The “Rule-of-Cool” Challenge

How it works:
When making any gameplay decision, such as...:
-which characters to use
-which immunities or innate skills to apply to them
-which abilities and attacks they can use
-etc

...The goal of this challenge is to approach all of the above with as close as possible to ZERO respect to any mechanical advantages they will give you, and a far greater amount of attention towards how cool or interesting they would make things if this were a book or show or movie or comic.

For an example, outside of FF7. I recently did this with FFTactics. One of my characters can be described as such:
Job: Thief
Secondary Skill: Geomancy
Innate Skill: Equip Crossbow
Counter: can’t remember...
Movement Skill: Ignore height
Also, I had boots on him to enable the furthest movement possible.
Basically, in creating him I paid no mind to creating a strong character, and instead thought up a character profile in my head. A character who is a kinda rogue (Thief), who is at one with nature (Geomancy), who would use a weapon that a hunter in the woods would use (crossbow), and who could navigate terrain fluently like someone who would jump between trees and be fully adapted to landscapes (Ignore Height and boots for wider movement).
Of course, this meant I was in a lot of situations where his weapon was too weak, his defense too low, his Geomancy might not always do useful things... but that’s where the challenge comes in. I now had to strategize twice as hard, thinking of how to use all my “cool” characters to survive some tough battles that could be over twice as fast if I just played mechanically without the soul or fun. And I of course did this with my whole party in different ways, made my idea of a cool dark mage and light mage, all that stuff.

And in FF7, materia offers a great opportunity for this. For starters:
-what if Red XIII always had Elemental+Fire on his armor? After all, with his burning tail, it would make sense that he’s a flame elemental himself and shouldn’t be hurt by fire.
-what if Cait Sith was a weird mystifying mage? Give him Added Effect+Transform on his attack to randomly turn enemies into toads, give him Mystify and Seal and all sorts of magic that changes the conditions of the battle in weird ways, a manipulate materia, and see how to strategize with a character like that.
Basically, a create profiles in your head of what a “cool” character is, more so than an effective character. And then try to make things work out while using setups that don’t exactly work to your advantage in every scenario.

Reasons I love this “challenge”:
-it’s intrinsically based on your own idea of fun, so it’s hard to make it boring
-it makes things tough without being insanely difficult for no good reason. The reward is that when you win a tough fight with a weaker setup, you know you won based on your own creative ideas of how you envision a cool RPG cast rather than the feeling of winning because you survived stupid conditions that never stimulated your imagination in the first place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
(edited 1 month ago)

DynamixDJ
1 month ago#9
Level 8 Yuffie:

Str = 15~19
Vit = 12~19
Mag = 14~19
Spr = 12~19
Dex = 10~18
Luk = 14~19
HP = 289 (exactly)
MP = 53~57
the master samurai 1 month ago#10
manmouse posted...
The only “challenge” that matters to me:
The “Rule-of-Cool” Challenge

How it works:
When making any gameplay decision, such as...:
-which characters to use
-which immunities or innate skills to apply to them
-which abilities and attacks they can use
-etc

...The goal of this challenge is to approach all of the above with as close as possible to ZERO respect to any mechanical advantages they will give you, and a far greater amount of attention towards how cool or interesting they would make things if this were a book or show or movie or comic.

For an example, outside of FF7. I recently did this with FFTactics. One of my characters can be described as such:
Job: Thief
Secondary Skill: Geomancy
Innate Skill: Equip Crossbow
Counter: can’t remember...
Movement Skill: Ignore height
Also, I had boots on him to enable the furthest movement possible.
Basically, in creating him I paid no mind to creating a strong character, and instead thought up a character profile in my head. A character who is a kinda rogue (Thief), who is at one with nature (Geomancy), who would use a weapon that a hunter in the woods would use (crossbow), and who could navigate terrain fluently like someone who would jump between trees and be fully adapted to landscapes (Ignore Height and boots for wider movement).
Of course, this meant I was in a lot of situations where his weapon was too weak, his defense too low, his Geomancy might not always do useful things... but that’s where the challenge comes in. I now had to strategize twice as hard, thinking of how to use all my “cool” characters to survive some tough battles that could be over twice as fast if I just played mechanically without the soul or fun. And I of course did this with my whole party in different ways, made my idea of a cool dark mage and light mage, all that stuff.

And in FF7, materia offers a great opportunity for this. For starters:
-what if Red XIII always had Elemental+Fire on his armor? After all, with his burning tail, it would make sense that he’s a flame elemental himself and shouldn’t be hurt by fire.
-what if Cait Sith was a weird mystifying mage? Give him Added Effect+Transform on his attack to randomly turn enemies into toads, give him Mystify and Seal and all sorts of magic that changes the conditions of the battle in weird ways, a manipulate materia, and see how to strategize with a character like that.
Basically, a create profiles in your head of what a “cool” character is, more so than an effective character. And then try to make things work out while using setups that don’t exactly work to your advantage in every scenario.

Reasons I love this “challenge”:
-it’s intrinsically based on your own idea of fun, so it’s hard to make it boring
-it makes things tough without being insanely difficult for no good reason. The reward is that when you win a tough fight with a weaker setup, you know you won based on your own creative ideas of how you envision a cool RPG cast rather than the feeling of winning because you survived stupid conditions that never stimulated your imagination in the first place

So I should play with cait sith dead? How would I go about making tifa fight in the nude?
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. looking to spice up a play through.