This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. How the #%$! did people get these before the internet?

User Info: FrostU

FrostU
4 months ago#1
This questions keeps awake at night

How did people get yuffie and vincent to join their party which btw required the player to choose specific answers

And the mind boggiling missable content side quests

And how in the worlldd did they beat the super weapons?!

And the final limit breaks ESPECIALLY Tifaโ€™s final limit which consists of player playing the theme on a piano by pressing specifc buttons to match the tone... how on earth?!

Seriously ancestors who did this w/o a guide, we salute you!
During my long play hours i've realized my life was the biggest game.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 months ago#2
Well for starters, the game isn't older than the Internet. It's not even older than GameFAQs.

But anyway.

You can retry Yuffie as much as you want (though it takes a long time), and IIRC you can with Vincent too (you definitely can if you save/load spam).

The superbosses, I managed to beat Emerald without any help, though it took several tries. I just spammed quadra magic w-summon KoTR, and made sure I had Phoenix Final Attack. Which wouldn't be that hard to come up with. Ruby, Iunno. I guess some people were hust good with experimenting.

Final Heaven, I actually found on my own. I mean the game shoves that overworld theme down your throat so much that it was really pretty natural to try to play it on the piano if you did any goofing around on it at all. Probably helps that I'm a little bit of a musician.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: looked

looked
4 months ago#3
It was also the Strategy guide era. You could find them all over the place at game stores, or book stores. Brady published 2 separate FF7 guides

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
4 months ago#4
Also, back in the old days, these werenโ€™t uncommon elements (especially if you had played FFVI). Gamers were conditioned to look for the unseen, due to necessity, and to think outside the box way more than now.

Different times.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 months ago#5
BreakevenCloud posted...
Also, back in the old days, these werenโ€™t uncommon elements (especially if you had played FFVI). Gamers were conditioned to look for the unseen, due to necessity, and to think outside the box way more than now.

Different times.

There's also the matter of games just not being as broad.

It wasn't a big deal to hide stuff in a game where the player was guaranteed to pass by every point in the game. You were gonna see the treadmill. Might as well see if you can run on it. As opposed to modern open-world games where not ony do you often not even know where you are but there are totally places you're never going to bother going.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: BlockAddition

BlockAddition
4 months ago#6
I had the official(ly terrible) strategy guide

As bad as it was it got me through the game, gold chocobo, L4 limits, ultimate weapons, emerald/ruby defeated etc

Though I did waste a f***load of time grinding for Mug in Midgar one playthrough since the guide said "Midgar" was stealable from hundred/heli gunner, so I assumed with Mug I'd have a long range steal with barret and claim my "Midgar"
hi

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
4 months ago#7
BlockAddition posted...

As bad as it was it got me through the game, gold chocobo, L4 limits, ultimate weapons, emerald/ruby defeated etc

Though I did waste a f***load of time grinding for Mug in Midgar one playthrough since the guide said "Midgar" was stealable from hundred/heli gunner, so I assumed with Mug I'd have a long range steal with barret and claim my "Midgar"

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thatโ€™s hilarious.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: FrostU

FrostU
4 months ago#8
BlockAddition posted...

I was howling from laughter ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ what $hitty strategy guide is this
During my long play hours i've realized my life was the biggest game.

User Info: Erzfreund

Erzfreund
4 months ago#9
Yuffie's encounter rate increases dramatically the further you progress. If you do not catch her till Mideel, then you are a bad pokeman trainer (I found her between Gongaga/Cosmic). Also I was tricked too much, I believe four tries (save point!!).
You cannot miss Vincent, I mean, there is a door! I think, also only one clue was annoying.

The side quests were done by slow progression, backtracking, replays. Additionally, some stuff was never found. Also guides and friends. But I agree, some stuff like chocobuckle is complete bull. Regarding this skill there are two kind of people, these who used a guide/friend and liars.

Weapons were trial and error.

The notes for Tifa's limit were visible. I think in the flashback?! It was so slow, it had to be something. 1 Gil was not enough. However, this was not logically, just desperately trying everything and as some stuff was related who was in your group it was bound to happen.

User Info: Squaresoft4ever

Squaresoft4ever
4 months ago#10
I've always thought Great Gospel was the most annoying
It's not a defect it's a feature
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. How the #%$! did people get these before the internet?