This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Do people love FFVIII?

User Info: uo111

uo111
2 months ago#1
I never played much of any FF games except for some of the remakes on the ds.

So my question is, why do people only talk about FFVII and FFIX. Why isn’t VIII rereleased and remade?

Or am I completely wrong? Does FFVIII have a huge fanbase I just don’t see?

User Info: itis41269

itis41269
2 months ago#2
I’m a person. I love VIII
"Destiny by sinner sought , Tragedy by power wrought "-M'booby
PSN:whatitis4u/friend code:0834-1025-1958/GT:XwhatitisX

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
2 months ago#3
8 was amazing.

But no, people hate 8 with a furious burning passion.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
2 months ago#4
I love it, but it's a bit more polarizing, so while it still has a huge fanbase and is generally considered another great game, you'll still see the occasional person calling it the worst thing ever.

It's not being remade because remaking games is hard, FFVII is the exception, not the standard. Not being rereleased or ported is likely technical issues. They don't have the source code for these games anymore, and while that doesn't mean a game can't be ported (see FFVII), FFVIII is a technical mess. They're porting games to everything because it's relatively easy, but FFVIII is likely beyond what their limited porting team is willing to handle. Not impossible, just more trouble than it's currently worth. People have also brought up Eyes On Me possibly causing licensing issues; I haven't followed this one too closely, but apparently the full original version hasn't been used since, leading some people to speculate that while SE own the rights to the song they can't reuse that specific performance.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: uo111

uo111
2 months ago#5
shadow666 posted...
I love it, but it's a bit more polarizing, so while it still has a huge fanbase and is generally considered another great game, you'll still see the occasional person calling it the worst thing ever.

It's not being remade because remaking games is hard, FFVII is the exception, not the standard. Not being rereleased or ported is likely technical issues. They don't have the source code for these games anymore, and while that doesn't mean a game can't be ported (see FFVII), FFVIII is a technical mess. They're porting games to everything because it's relatively easy, but FFVIII is likely beyond what their limited porting team is willing to handle. Not impossible, just more trouble than it's currently worth. People have also brought up Eyes On Me possibly causing licensing issues; I haven't followed this one too closely, but apparently the full original version hasn't been used since, leading some people to speculate that while SE own the rights to the song they can't reuse that specific performance.

Oh that’s very interesting.

Thank you, I have always wondered why FFVIII gets paid dust but this provides a lot of context.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#6
8’s controversial.

PROS:
-music is outstanding... maybe my favorite in the series?
-beautiful world
-best mini game in the series, even the game’s biggest haters mostly agree that the card game is damn perfect
-fast, smooth, instantly responsive combat
-cool summon management

CONS:
-has a catastrophically dumb plot twist
-unbalanced gameplay, easy to break the difficulty right away
-wayyyyy too much menu work, even for the average player who doesn’t care too much you’ll still spend 2-3x as much time in your menu crunching numbers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: sano83

sano83
2 months ago#7
Out of the four games that where originally relesed for the PlayStation with the Final Fantasy name, it is the most polarizing one (Well, Final Fantasy VII sure have a lot of haters), sure, but that doesnt mean it is a bad game and way more people like it than dislike it.
[Its evolution, Baby.]

User Info: Szymaa

Szymaa
2 months ago#8
manmouse posted...
8’s controversial.

PROS:
-music is outstanding... maybe my favorite in the series?
-beautiful world
-best mini game in the series, even the game’s biggest haters mostly agree that the card game is damn perfect
-fast, smooth, instantly responsive combat
-cool summon management

CONS:
-has a catastrophically dumb plot twist
-unbalanced gameplay, easy to break the difficulty right away
-wayyyyy too much menu work, even for the average player who doesn’t care too much you’ll still spend 2-3x as much time in your menu crunching numbers

Pretty much all of the above.

I forced myself to play the Steam version because I'd never gotten past early Disk 2 back in the day, and I tried to do it straight up. Then the plot twist happened and I turned on every single cheat just to finish the game faster. Honestly one of the stupidest things I've ever played.
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves

User Info: EpsteinBarr

EpsteinBarr
2 months ago#9
Ugh. It was a game I had to really force myself to finish. I did not like the characters, story, gameplay, and overall vibe of the game. Shame too because it looked like it was brimming with potential.

User Info: Master_Pwner

Master_Pwner
2 months ago#10
Probably the worst mainline FF IMO, the whole balance by level is ridiculous, how limits work is ridiculous and easily breakable. How magic + Junction work is both extremely tedious/annoying AND again super easily breakable.

You'd think well alright but at least the story... NOPE.
Story AND characters are also all terrible IMO. At least this part is debatable though.
GLACIER FTW
Coq
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Do people love FFVIII?