This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First time playing (advice)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#11
It's also worth noting that different pieces of equipment have different learning rates, similar to the learning rates for the Espers in FF6;
most equipment has a Normal learning rate, which basically means that the Materias on that equipment get exactly the AP that you earn from battles, but there is also some equipment that has a Double learning rate, and some of them can even have a Triple learning rate (obviously, equipment with a Triple learning rate will generally have very few slots).
But there are also a few pieces of equipment that have a Nothing learning rate, and that equipment should only be used if it is very powerful and you aren't interested in leveling up any of the Materia that you have put on that equipment.
The ultimate weapons are like that - they have a Nothing learning rate, but they make up for that by being incredibly powerful, so you should definitely use those weapons during challenging battles that give very little AP.
...OR at least, that's what I think.

User Info: chronodude101

chronodude101
2 months ago#12
Thanks for all the info! Super helpful.

Does the equipment say what its learning rates are? Or is it like a hidden stat?
Life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 months ago#13
Many areas have an enemy that you can steal a unique/powerful piece of equipment from.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

Peter_19
2 months ago#14
chronodude101 posted...

Does the equipment say what its learning rates are? Or is it like a hidden stat?

It says what the rate is, you can see it when you put the cursor on the piece of equipment. :)

Here is an image where you can see that Barret's first weapon "Gatling Gun" has the growth rate Normal.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130121021037/finalfantasy/images/d/d2/FFVII_Equip_Menu.png

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#15
chronodude101 posted...

You’ll see it listed boldly in the equipment screen.

Has anyone mentioned the Elemental and Added Effect materia yet?
Those two are a little more complex than other materia, because equipping it on a weapon’s slot vs an armor’s slot totally changes the result, making them two of my favorite materia in the game.

Added Effect is a support materia that pairs with a status-effect materia.
If you pair it with a materia on your weapon, then your attacks will have a chance of delivering that status to your enemy.
But if you pair it with a materia on your armor, it will protect you from that status.
You can use classic simple statuses like Poison, Sleep, Blind, etc, but you can also go pretty brutal and pair it with Death so your attack will have a chance of being an instant kill. Or pair it with Transform so your attacks can turn your foes into frogs. Or Contain, which can petrify or freeze your enemies.
When you eventually get the Hades summon, that can pair with Added Effect with some real extreme results. On your attack, it will bombard the enemy with a laundry list of status effects all at once. And on your armor, you’re protected from nearly every status effect in the game.

Elemental goes by the same principles. On your weapon, it makes your attack into that element. And on your armor, it protects you from that element to varying degrees: with the materia at low levels it reduces damage, then a little higher and it nullifies the damage, and at high levels it makes that element heal you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

Peter_19
2 months ago#16
The "Contain" Materia is definitely incredibly useful;
it's pretty much the Fire-, Ice-, Wind- and Earth-elemental spells on steroids.
Freeze deals major ice damage and also randomly freezes the target, Break deals major earth-elemental damage and randomly petrifies the target, Tornado deals major wind-elemental damage and randomly confuses the target, and Flare is the ultimate fire-elemental single-target spell.

A lot of the later Materias are extremely useful.
It's very entertaining to try them out, and discover how brutal they can be.
One of my favourite attacks is 4x-Cut, which is basically 4 regular attacks in a row, much like the Offering in FF6, except each attack deals normal damage.

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#17
The great thing about 7 is all the materia combinations you can come up with. Someone who has mastered the game will utterly break it with some combinations, even at low levels. Don't obsess too much with it. Its fun to miss some details and the easiest way to beat bosses is, more often than not, the least compelling. So don't be afraid to mess up and fight some bosses a few times.

Peter_19
2 months ago#18
loseless posted...
The great thing about 7 is all the materia combinations you can come up with. Someone who has mastered the game will utterly break it with some combinations, even at low levels. Don't obsess too much with it. Its fun to miss some details and the easiest way to beat bosses is, more often than not, the least compelling. So don't be afraid to mess up and fight some bosses a few times.

The most important Materias during a casual playthrough are probably the ones that you can easily get in shops anyway, so it's not something that one should worry too much about.
It's definitely recommended to get a couple Restore, Fire, Ice and Lightning Materias, and of course also Heal and Revive.

User Info: Ojisan

Ojisan
2 months ago#19
Keep going back to shops, at certain points of the game some will upgrade their inventory. One of the weapon shops in Junon will, at a later stage have all the interesting zero materia slot weapons that one would normally get from chests in the Temple of Ancients. I think Cloud looks cool in battle with the Nail Bat.

User Info: chronodude101

chronodude101
2 months ago#20
Wow this is all a lot of great info. I'll try and keep as much of it in mind as I can while playing!
Life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First time playing (advice)
  • Topic Archived