This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First time playing (advice)

User Info: chronodude101

chronodude101
2 months ago#1
I know, I know, I know. I've heard it all already.
Just enjoy the fact that one other person will be able to enjoy the beauty of the game and experience everything for the first time.

Now obviously I know a couple of things about the game, because the internet. A main character dying, some characters are not guaranteed for your party unless you do certain things (wanna make sure I don't miss them).
So without giving too much else away, what things should I know about the game going into it? (Knowing that I've played my fair share of JRPGs, and other FF games in years past.) Just wondering if there are any crucial things to make sure I'm aware of ahead of time, to really enjoy the game to the fullest.
I'll be getting if for the Switch when in comes out in a few weeks.

Thanks.
Life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

User Info: Szymaa

Szymaa
2 months ago#2
Character dying - not all that major. You lose her equipment, but nothing major.

'Secret' Characters aren't really missable, and you can get them at just about any time, prior to the final disk.

Otherwise man, just sit back and enjoy the ride.
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
2 months ago#3
Push select on the isometric town/dungeon map screen (not the world map) to mark ladders and exits that you might miss otherwise.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(message deleted)

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#5
Make sure that you learn the Materia system properly.
That system really gives you a lot of fighting potential in lots of ways.

In short, the Materia system is all about equipping the characters with certain spheres that allow them to unlock lots of magic spells and special moves, and they come in several different types.
The Magic Materias will teach you magic spells (Cure, Fire, Haste, Slow etc), and then there are other types such as the Command Materias, which give you special attack options.
Also, each Materia is independent of other Materias, so you can level up for example one piece of the "Fire" Materia to max level and then have another "Fire" Materia totally unleveled, and it's always the character that's actually equipped with a specific piece of Materia that can use the learned abilities from that Materia.
There are also ways to compress Materias later in the game, so that you can equip much more of them on each character.

I don't think that there is any system quite like that in any other FF games, although the Junction System in FF8 is slightly similar in some aspects (the GFs are analogous to the Materias, and the Abilities are analogous to the abilities that you learn from the Materias).
...OR at least, that's what I think.

User Info: Ojisan

Ojisan
2 months ago#6
Yuffie; you'll encounter her as "mystery ninja" when battling in forests, after you defeat her you have the option of having her join up. up to you what you want to do.
Me, personally, I wait till after events in Rocket Town when you get the Tiny Bronco. at that point you can skirt the continents where there's shallow water, the light blue. first head to Wutai, there's an enemy there that drops X-potions. and without Yuffie you can buy new armor and weapons, and stock up on throwable items that cast Fire3 and Lightning3. if Yuffie is with you, it triggers a whole series of events that you have to get thru without your materia. you can also head up to the north continent and Bone Village, where you can get better armor, and possibly get the Kjata summon materia from the sleeping forest.

User Info: chronodude101

chronodude101
2 months ago#7
Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it.

Good to know I won't miss out on characters at first.
And good tip on the maps - seems useful and something you may not figure out on your own.

For Materia, sounds like it doesn't quite work like Espers in FFVI, where you equip one and characters learn new magic spells after they get enough points with the Esper equipped.
So for this, you can have multiple Fire Materia in your inventory. If, say, Cloud has had it equipped and leveled it up all the way, does it have "memory" for Cloud? Like, if I equip it onto Tifa instead, will she now have a fulled leveled Fire Materia, or will it only be for Cloud if he re-equips it?
And, if you have another Fire Materia in your inventory that hasn't been leveled up, will it look different or have a different name? Or do you just have to "know", or "check" them?

Thanks again.
Life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#8
chronodude101 posted...
Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it.

Good to know I won't miss out on characters at first.
And good tip on the maps - seems useful and something you may not figure out on your own.

For Materia, sounds like it doesn't quite work like Espers in FFVI, where you equip one and characters learn new magic spells after they get enough points with the Esper equipped.
So for this, you can have multiple Fire Materia in your inventory. If, say, Cloud has had it equipped and leveled it up all the way, does it have "memory" for Cloud? Like, if I equip it onto Tifa instead, will she now have a fulled leveled Fire Materia, or will it only be for Cloud if he re-equips it?
And, if you have another Fire Materia in your inventory that hasn't been leveled up, will it look different or have a different name? Or do you just have to "know", or "check" them?

Thanks again.

The Materia pieces are all leveled up individually, and you need to equip them on a character in order to let that character get access to the stuff on that Materia - they will look the same on the menu screen, but you can see how far you have leveled them if you check them with the cursor.
Also, the fact that you can equip several of the same Materia types on the characters means that you can create some very cool combinations with the blue support Materias;
for example, if you use the combinations "Fire"="HP Absorb" and "Fire"="MP Absorb", then each Fire spell will let you absorb both HP and MP from the enemy.
That's how Support Materias work - they add certain functions to certain other Materias.
There are also the purple Independent Materias, which improve the characters' attributes - a few self-explanatory ones are "Counter Attack" and "Enemy Lure", which let you randomly perform counter-attacks during battle and increase the encounter rate.

It's actually pretty similar to the Junction system in FF8 in some ways;
in FF8 you can equip GFs on the characters and thus give them access to those GFs' Abilities, and the Materia system works largely the same way:
you equip Materias on the characters so that they can get access to various commands and whatnot and unlock more powerful commands by collecting Ability Points during battle, and then you can switch those Materias to other characters whenever you want.
And just like in FF8, the characters will lose all special commands if you take away all the Materia from them, and they will be left with only Attack and Item.

This video explain the basics pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meKD4DRrIWc

Notice how the "Restore" Materia in this video actually has several other spells available;
Cure2, Regen, and Cure3.
Those spells will be unlocked after you have earned enough Ability Points, and this will let you use those spells as long as you have that particular Materia equipped.
...OR at least, that's what I think.

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
2 months ago#9
It's purely based on the materia, so you can shuffle it all over your party and it will retain its level. The materia menu shows the details of the highlighted materia as you're organizing them, so while they won't change name or anything it won't be confusing. Don't worry if you don't get it quite yet, once you're playing the game it should all be pretty clear.
Nothing to see here.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First time playing (advice)
  • Topic Archived