This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the first Final Fantasy game to play?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
1 month ago#31
Eevee-Trainer posted...
ienzo105 posted...
Why was FF7 the first game released on PS1 and they didn't release FF1-6 first? It would confuse newcomers such as myself who doesn't know where to start.

Usually the implication is that you've somewhat followed the series a little. Devs shouldn't have to rerelease everything in the event of minor mishaps.

Notably, though, several PS1 compilations were released that had FF1-6 on them. Granted, which were available in your region all depends. Some were released in some places, and others elsewhere. FFIII I think somehow managed to not get out of Japan

FF3 is way overlooked.
It really should have been part of the Origins collection, it feels incomplete to have only FF1 and FF2 there, especially when FF3 is arguably the best FF game on the Famicom.

The closest that we have got to a genuine 2D remake of FF3 is the Wonderswan Color version, but that version was cancelled.

https://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/wsff3-official1.jpg
...OR at least, that's what I think.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
1 month ago#32
Peter_19 posted...
especially when FF3 is arguably the best FF game on the Famicom.

I'd argue it's the best game on the Famicom, period. Maybe tied with SMB3, but regardless FF3 is definitely not given enough love.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

Peter_19
1 month ago#33
Eevee-Trainer posted...
Peter_19 posted...
especially when FF3 is arguably the best FF game on the Famicom.

I'd argue it's the best game on the Famicom, period. Maybe tied with SMB3, but regardless FF3 is definitely not given enough love.

It is also one of the most important games in the series, since it introduced many new Jobs, and the Moogles.
It was also the first FF game that used the full Chocobo Theme (the theme in FF2 was much shorter and lacked the chorus), and it introduced the Fat Chocobo, the submarine, and the Summons.
Wonderful game.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Deganawidah

Deganawidah
1 month ago#34
ienzo105 posted...

Why was FF7 the first game released on PS1 and they didn't release FF1-6 first? It would confuse newcomers such as myself who doesn't know where to start.

It isn't necessary to start with any prior game in the series to play or enjoy Final Fantasy 7. There is no story continuity between any of the games (aside from spin-offs that are clearly named, such as Final Fantasy X-2 being a sequel to FFX) and they take place in different worlds. Having played one FF game gives different perspective and knowledge of some concepts that are consistent and some themes that are repeated, but this is true regardless of the order you play them.

Also, I don't know of any game series for which the publisher or developer has a made a point to re-release every prior game onto a new console in advance of releasing a new installment made for that console. Even if there is such an example, it's certainly not the norm.
"History is the road map and without it there is no way to navigate the future." - George Wunderlich

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
1 month ago#35
Deganawidah posted...
Also, I don't know of any game series for which the publisher or developer has a made a point to re-release every prior game onto a new console in advance of releasing a new installment made for that console.

Kingdom Hearts certainly comes to mind. Compilations of compilations of remasters of remakes or whatever. That was some of the silliest s*** ever leading up to KHIII.

At least according to memory the all-in-one collection is supposedly $40? Or was it only 1.5+2.5? Whatever it was, at least it's cheap for what you're getting.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

Peter_19
1 month ago#36
Eevee-Trainer posted...
The stories in a lot of the FF games are really disconnected, so feel free to start with whichever game you want. VII was the first for a lot of people (myself included).

He should probably not start with FF2 for the Famicom;
that game is very hard to digest, and you need to invest a lot of time on it to learn to play it properly.
The fact that the characters become stronger based on their needs rather than from gaining Levels is a strange concept, which makes sense on paper but often becomes quite complicated.
It's supposed to simulate real-life consequences - taking damage can make you tougher (for example, your skin becomes harder if you get bruises and then let them heal), using a specific weapon will obviously make you more skilled at that weapon, and so on.
There are also stats that conflict with each other, so that you cannot just turn everyone into Red Mages;
high Strength will sometimes reduce Intelligence, and high Vitality will sometimes reduce Soul.

Personally I like that game, and I think it's very satisfying to see my characters naturally get stronger as I play the game.
But it was hard to get into it at first, since the difficulty was very high and the battle system was so demanding.
It also becomes a bit annoying later in the game, when you suddenly have a great need for a high-Level Heal spell, and the only reliable way to get it to a high Level up to that point is by abusing the leveling bug.
It does level up quite nicely in the beginning of the game though, when there are many enemies that throw Poison and Dark which you can heal with it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Strahl

Strahl
4 weeks ago#37
I think VII and X are good entry titles.
If you like FF7 challenges, check out my channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/VashFanboy1
Final Fantasy Challenge Discord - https://discord.gg/HPeebmn

User Info: AmosMoses981

AmosMoses981
4 weeks ago#38
Which is best? For every title you will find those who say it's the best of the series and those who say it's the worst. FF1 and FF7 will always be special to me (just started new ff7 playthrough). I also play FF Tactics regularly and FF12 is underrated in my opinion. Sure wish I could get it on PSN.

Peter_19
4 weeks ago#39
AmosMoses981 posted...
Which is best? For every title you will find those who say it's the best of the series and those who say it's the worst. FF1 and FF7 will always be special to me (just started new ff7 playthrough). I also play FF Tactics regularly and FF12 is underrated in my opinion. Sure wish I could get it on PSN.

I would say that generally speaking, FF6, FF7 and FF9 are some common favourites.

FF Tactics is very interesting as well, that game feels a lot like a more advanced form of chess.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 weeks ago#40
AmosMoses981 posted...

If you’re asking people subjectively, then I would say my answer changes depending on different factors.

An an overall fun experience? FFV
It’s just everything I want when I think of going in and enjoying a game for being a game. It’s engaging for the player, always a new experience if you’re willing to try new jobs and strategies with different playthroughs, hell if you get bored halfway through the game you can just reinvent your party’s roles on a whim and you’ll find yourself playing completely differently.

Favorite for story, and also for a larger investment? FFTactics
It’s got all the customization I love from FFV but on steroids, with so much depth and room for player creativity. Not only that, but that plot... those characters... it’s like Game of Thrones, with so much grey morality, deep lore, political complexity, tense alliances and reluctant enemies, and of course some crushing tragedy. I can’t just play FFT any time though, because with the depth of the gameplay and story experience I really need to be in the right headspace to jump in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the first Final Fantasy game to play?