This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the first Final Fantasy game to play?

User Info: SJeffries24

SJeffries24
2 months ago#11
In 2019? No, I would recommend 9 or 10 to a first timer.

User Info: SoraOwnKeyblade

SoraOwnKeyblade
2 months ago#12
Eevee-Trainer posted...
Because the game was too big to be held on one disc.

To be more specific, the extensive usage of FMVs are what necessitated the use of multiple discs.

IIRC, the game's data is actually on all three CDs. It's just the movie files that are different between them.
So sayeth the ruler of Bethos.

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
2 months ago#13
There's only a handful of games that are even related in any way. The only direct games are X and X-2 as well as the XIII games. There are whacky theories about VII and X being related, but nothing that at all would affect the games. IX is filled with awesome references to past games, but doesn't affect gameplay at all.

It's hard to even say what the best game to start with is. I think it really depends on how familiar you are with RPGs in general. Some have more complicated mechanics than others. IX and X can be good jumping off points.... unless you hate very long unskippable cutscenes, in which case X may drag for you. VI is both simple and complex at the same time, has an interesting story and characters, as well as great gameplay. IV is a solid, albeit basic RPG as far as mechanics go. V is where you saw a big shift in character customization and it's routinely seen as one of the best titles in the entire series. It can definitely be a good starting point. VII has a lot of customization options, a pretty engaging story, and fun characters. I think it's also a great starter. VIII, XII, and XIII are really divisive titles among fans so I tend not to recommend them. I think I, II, and III are really best to come to after playing a bit more of the series first. They can be a bit tough getting into in 2019 if you're not already into the series.

I don't think you can really go wrong with IV, V, VI, VII, or IX when it comes to your first. You can play any of these with a Playstation 1.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#14
ienzo105 posted...
So what's Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6?

FF1:
Very pure, you start by picking a party of 4 nameless characters. They can be a Fighter, Black Belt, Thief, Red Mage, Black Mage, or White Mage.
There are things that age the experience: saving and reviving are inconvenient, your characters don’t automatically target the next enemy if the prior character killed it so a lot of your attacks will be wasted on empty space, the spells have an unforgiving “charge” system instead of MP, and item/gear management is a chore.
But the remakes (I’ve only played the GBA remake) smooth out the wrinkles and modernize the mechanics, I dislike the aesthetic change on GBA but it’s a joy to play.

FF2:
For the first time in the series your characters have names, unique appearances, and a backstory. Probably the most grounded story and setting until FF6, lots of war and failure and such. The mechanics are a joke, making the game both ridiculously breakable and awkward. Plus the dungeons are possibly the worst in the classic series. It has its fans and defenders but most agree it’s a low point for the series.

FF3:
The setting gets more mystical again like FF1, and the characters are nameless blank slates again. This time the job system is vastly expanded, and you gain new jobs as you progress and can switch between them. The mechanics are smoothed up to a major degree, basically playing almost as smooth as a SNES FF just without the active time battle system. World gets bigger than ever too, with multiple map screens to explore and more changes to the world around you.
There are some people who dislike it, but I honestly think it’s a brilliant game.

FF4:
Plot gets bigger than ever before, you get more characters than ever before, and the ATB system (basically turn-based but with active time passing) is invented, they use this system from now until FF9. Setting is very much the classic fantasy.
The characters are all fixed classes and there’s no customization, and despite having numerous characters the plot will pick your party for you, making this one of the least customizable games in the series. In many ways (besides the restricted freedom) this game set the tone for the style of the series moving forward.

FF5:
Full customization comes back, making this one of the most free form games in the series. It’s basically FF3 on steroids. At the same time, moving forward from FF4 this game retains the more involved story and characters with bigger backstories and all. This is basically the last hurrah of the old-oldschool approach in the series.
Originally never released in the US, and with the philosophy of it being more about polishing and perfecting the old style rather than setting the stage for what came next, this game sank below the radar for decades, but in recent years it’s had a comeback where many including myself see it as the BEST in the series.

FF6:
This was a big leap. Graphical style got a lot deeper, world is now Victorian era steampunk based with lots of technology and industrial imagery, the character drama steps up a lot, the world and outlook is really dark compared to a lot of earlier titles, and the gameplay splits the difference between having unique fixed character abilities and customizable skill sets and abilities.
This game kinda set the stage for what was to come in the PS era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#15
Also worth noting the names were originally screwed up in America, so you gotta watch out for what people are getting to sometimes.

For example Japan released them all exactly as they were. FF1-2-3 on NES, 4-5-6 on SNES, 7-8-9 on PS.

But in the US, we got FF1, but 2 and 3 never came. Due to the speed they were developed and how long it would take to localize each by the time they’d be localizing the next, and how it was still a niche genre, they just skipped those.

By the time the SNES was out, we got FF4. But they felt Americans would be confused by the leap in numbers since we missed out on 2 and 3. So... they renamed it FF2 for the US audience.

Then FF5 got skipped for similar reasons as before, and when FF6 came out we got that here in America. Now with it being the 3rd game we got, they named it FF3 in America.

But when 7 came out, they just wanted to get a consistent numbering across the globe, so they called it FF7 everywhere.

In other words,

NES:

FF1 (same everywhere)
FF2 (JP only)
FF3 (JP only)

SNES:

FF4 (FF2US)
FF5 (JP only)
FF6 (FF3US)

PS:

FF7 and onwards all accurately named.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#16
manmouse posted...
But in the US, we got FF1, but 2 and 3 never came.

Minor anecdote: while true, 2 was in the process of being localized. There's even a prototype ROM for it out there now and to recollection it's playable.

Guess it was just deemed not worth the effort.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
2 months ago#17
manmouse posted...
FF5:
Full customization comes back, making this one of the most free form games in the series. It’s basically FF3 on steroids. At the same time, moving forward from FF4 this game retains the more involved story and characters with bigger backstories and all. This is basically the last hurrah of the old-oldschool approach in the series.
Originally never released in the US, and with the philosophy of it being more about polishing and perfecting the old style rather than setting the stage for what came next, this game sank below the radar for decades, but in recent years it’s had a comeback where many including myself see it as the BEST in the series.

I'm going to go slightly off topic for a moment, sorry.

I always love seeing love for this specific game. It could be argued as one of the most important games in the series along with the original FF because of the way the job system and customization was handled and largely became a staple in the games to come. I think it's held up very well in nearly every way. The graphics don't have the same detail as FF VI by any means, but the game is super colorful, vibrant, and visually appealing. The story is rather by-the-books for an RPG, although it has some moments I really really like. It's by no means a bad story. All of the characters are genuinely likeable. It also has what I feel is the most underappreciated soundtracks in the entire series. The music does such a fantastic job of setting the mood of the game and it strikes an excellent balance between the more lighthearted moments and the more unsettling and dark parts of the game. The soundtrack is seriously up there with FF VII and IX for me as one of the best. It's just an overall stellar, must play RPG.

Sorry again for going a bit off topic there. You did an excellent job of explaining the first 6 games, @manmouse .
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
2 months ago#18
EgoKiller801 posted...
I always love seeing love for this specific game.

Same. I always see a lot of hate but I loved it.
See me on Discord! ^.^
Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/fexbndS

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
2 months ago#19
Eevee-Trainer posted...
EgoKiller801 posted...

Me too, FFV is always fun to replay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#20
Calmlander posted...
Eevee-Trainer posted...
EgoKiller801 posted...

Me too, FFV is always fun to replay.

To me, FF5 is like a huge playground.
It has lots of interesting stuff to find everywhere, and the Jobs are super-fun to mess around with.

I also always loved the 12 Legendary Weapons;
that room with all the sealed weapons that you knew that you would be able to grab one day felt like Christmas presents that were waiting to be opened.
...OR at least, that's what I think.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the first Final Fantasy game to play?