This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Most annoying FF guy?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#31
Tidus, but only in the American version - his voice really doesn't fit him there.

He sounds much better in the Japanese version;
still "whiny" on occasion, I guess, but at least his voice actually fits him, and he has a lot more attitude there as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cAX3D88sio
...OR at least, that's what I think.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Crashrfc

Crashrfc
2 months ago#32
Rikkus_dad posted...
Yeah, exactly. The entire point of that scene is that Tidus is FORCING himself to laugh at nothing to cope with how depressed he's feeling (a technique Yuna is making him try) but he really doesn't actually want to laugh or have anything to laugh about. Then people say the voice acting in that scene sucks because of how forced it sounds? Get real people.

The scene doesn't work. The meaning is lost because of how annoying it is to watch. If you think the problem is people just don't 'get it', you're clueless.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#33
Crashrfc posted...
Rikkus_dad posted...
Yeah, exactly. The entire point of that scene is that Tidus is FORCING himself to laugh at nothing to cope with how depressed he's feeling (a technique Yuna is making him try) but he really doesn't actually want to laugh or have anything to laugh about. Then people say the voice acting in that scene sucks because of how forced it sounds? Get real people.

The scene doesn't work. The meaning is lost because of how annoying it is to watch. If you think the problem is people just don't 'get it', you're clueless.

It you are so offended by that scene it is possible the problem is not the scene itself. It was a bit odd the first time but I certainly did not get annoyed by it. At least you did not have to re watch it because a dodgy boss if under levelled was lurking right behind the scene lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

Peter_19
2 months ago#34
Olld-Onne posted...
Crashrfc posted...
Rikkus_dad posted...

It you are so offended by that scene it is possible the problem is not the scene itself. It was a bit odd the first time but I certainly did not get annoyed by it. At least you did not have to re watch it because a dodgy boss if under levelled was lurking right behind the scene lol.

The game should just simply let you skip cutscenes.
I don't understand why so many games insist on having forced cutscenes - if I am not interested in watching them then I am just going to go and do something else while I wait for them to end anyway, so what's the point?

In "Final Fantasy 9" it is almost required during an Excalibur 2 challenge to open the disc lid and close it again during every cutscene in order to have a reasonable chance of making it to the end of Memoria in under 12 hours, just because you couldn't skip them.
That's ridiculous, and I say that as a major FF9 fan.

It's so freaking simple - let the players skip the cutscenes with the Start button if they want to.
You could even ask them to press it a second time in order to confirm that they really did want to do that, or maybe even another button (which would of course be shown on the screen for convenience, like "Skip cutscene?" followed by an icon of whatever button you need to press).
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Crashrfc

Crashrfc
2 months ago#35
Olld-Onne posted...

Who said they were offended? Was someone doing blackface or something?

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#36
Crashrfc posted...
Olld-Onne posted...

Who said they were offended? Was someone doing blackface or something?

If something annoys you it must have offended in some way otherwise you would not be annoyed surely. Based off of the use of that one word alone it would at least appear so anyway to some one reading your comment.

Peter_19 posted...
I don't understand why so many games insist on having forced cutscenes - if I am not interested in watching them then I am just going to go and do something else while I wait for them to end anyway, so what's the point?

In "Final Fantasy 9" it is almost required during an Excalibur 2 challenge to open the disc lid and close it again during every cutscene in order to have a reasonable chance of making it to the end of Memoria in under 12 hours, just because you couldn't skip them.

It's so freaking simple - let the players skip the cutscenes with the Start button if they want to.
You could even ask them to press it a second time in order to confirm that they really did want to do that, or maybe even another button (which would of course be shown on the screen for convenience, like "Skip cutscene?" followed by an icon of whatever button you need to press).

This is the real problem, not the scene itself but the fact if you play or even replay the game you have to watch it as no skipping. If the scene was skippable I dont think there would be as many as vocal about this scene being in there other than it was a bit weird to watch.

Not having the ability to skip scenes will most likely rub some the wrong way and then they will obviously use the one they think was the worse example as a scape goat of sorts. Obviously some will just find it badly done according to their tastes but it is still part of the story of how Yuna and Tidus relate to each other.

Now if the game crashed everytime the scene played I would understand being annoyed by that as it directly effects your ability to play the game further or you now a dodgy boss after you sat through a wad of scenes or you know the first time you meet Yunalesca. Most have to rewatch that scene before the fight if they never fought her before. : )
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#37
I love how the conversation pans out.

1.) People widely find that the scene is annoying and poorly executed/acted, and express how awful they think it is.

2.) People defend it by saying that detractors don’t understand it (which is wrong, everyone understands, they just think it’s a bad scene and is executed like crap)

3.) Detractors then have to double down and defend that they understand it, and that they just think it’s a bad scene and is executed like crap.

4.) “WOW I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU’RE SO OFFENDED!”

Literally, no. People criticized it, as is their right. And because it’s such a jarring scene that stands out more so than those around it and its annoyance really sticks with people over the years, it makes sense that it gets brought up a lot. So... how is that weird?
The problem is when people defend it, their go-to is to claim that anyone who doesn’t like it must just be too dumb to understand the “subtext” of such a subtle scene. Sorry, but that is offensive in its own right, because you’re then just insulting everyone who criticized it as if they lacked comprehension skills. So yeah, everyone will respond to your side of the argument with more hostility from that point forward, because the only way you guys defend it is by insulting people.

People criticize plenty of things about FFX and the whole series. People just get more annoyed at the defenders of this scene in particular because the conversation always (without exception, ALWAYS) leads to that same path. Nobody can defend the laughing scene without falsely accusing its critics of being too stupid to get it. But its critics are often not stupid, and dislike it while completely understanding the intent and still finding the execution and final result to be a bad and jarring scene. And these people will always react with hostility if you strawman them as being too stupid to criticize anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

Peter_19
2 months ago#38
Olld-Onne posted...
Peter_19 posted...

This is the real problem, not the scene itself but the fact if you play or even replay the game you have to watch it as no skipping. If the scene was skippable I dont think there would be as many as vocal about this scene being in there other than it was a bit weird to watch.

Yeah, I don't understand why forced cutscenes are even still a thing.
What are the developers thinking when they do that?
Are they so proud of the cutscenes that they think we absolutely should watch them every time?
Or do they really just "forget" to add a skip option over and over?
Maybe they are worried that we might miss something important from the cutscenes, but isn't that our own problem then?

The cutscenes in "The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess" were perfectly fine, because you actually could skip those scenes, and this made them much more fun to watch;
it even asked you to confirm the skip by pressing the Start button a second time (which takes no time at all) in case you pressed it by accident, and that was perfect.
(edited 2 months ago)

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#39
Peter_19 posted...
Olld-Onne posted...
Peter_19 posted...

Are they so proud of the cutscenes that they think we absolutely should watch them every time?
Maybe they are worried that we might miss something important from the cutscenes, but isn't that our own problem then?

The cutscenes in "The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess" were perfectly fine, because you actually could skip those scenes, and this made them much more fun to watch;
it even asked you to confirm the skip by pressing the Start button a second time (which takes no time at all) in case you pressed it by accident, and that was perfect.

I probably would not have replayed Mass Effect series as much I think if I could not skip the dialogue to a degree lol. It comes across as a bit pompous by the developers to force people to watch something they have already seen with no option to not bypass it.

If there is something important in the scene other games have made that part not skippable incase which is a fair way to not mess up a player of the game who just trying to play the game and not delve into the story as much. At least let people be able to skip the scene the second time round should you get Yunalescaed the first time anyway. : )

Peter_19
2 months ago#40
Olld-Onne posted...
Peter_19 posted...
Olld-Onne posted...
Peter_19 posted...

I probably would not have replayed Mass Effect series as much I think if I could not skip the dialogue to a degree lol. It comes across as a bit pompous by the developers to force people to watch something they have already seen with no option to not bypass it.

If there is something important in the scene other games have made that part not skippable incase which is a fair way to not mess up a player of the game who just trying to play the game and not delve into the story as much. At least let people be able to skip the scene the second time round should you get Yunalescaed the first time anyway. : )

Another example of a boss right after a cutscene is NORG in FF8;
I found him very hard on my first playthrough and I got tired of seeing him go "Bujurururu" over and over, so I got very motivated to develop as good strategies as possible.
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Most annoying FF guy?