This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Most annoying FF guy?

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
2 months ago#11
Tidus. *shakes head*

User Info: Rikkus_dad

Rikkus_dad
2 months ago#12
5tarscream posted...
Rikkus_dad posted...
codemann8 posted...
Just a few words: "Ha ha ha ha ha"

The most overly criticised scene in FF history.

Not everybody understands it for what it is. "It's so forced and awkward" Really? A fake laugh scene feels fake?

Yeah, exactly. The entire point of that scene is that Tidus is FORCING himself to laugh at nothing to cope with how depressed he's feeling (a technique Yuna is making him try) but he really doesn't actually want to laugh or have anything to laugh about. Then people say the voice acting in that scene sucks because of how forced it sounds? Get real people.
If you don't care about something, then it's "I couldn't care less" NOT "I could care less"! Why do so many English speakers get this wrong?
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: codemann8

codemann8
2 months ago#13
Rikkus_dad posted...
5tarscream posted...
Rikkus_dad posted...
codemann8 posted...
Just a few words: "Ha ha ha ha ha"

The most overly criticised scene in FF history.

Not everybody understands it for what it is. "It's so forced and awkward" Really? A fake laugh scene feels fake?

Yeah, exactly. The entire point of that scene is that Tidus is FORCING himself to laugh at nothing to cope with how depressed he's feeling (a technique Yuna is making him try) but he really doesn't actually want to laugh or have anything to laugh about. Then people say the voice acting in that scene sucks because of how forced it sounds? Get real people.

Honestly, this scene just adds to his overall annoyingness. He's a grown man, blitzball celebrity, who has daddy issues still. Half the time I'm always thinking about how much of a little b**** Auron thinks he is as he calmly watches him constantly throw tantrums.

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#14
Barely know Snow or Hope. But regarding the others, I'll go with Tidus. He's such a slang for female sexual organ...

Vaan doesn't bother me at all. He's there and doesn't add much. Its not like the game is much worst with him there.

Zell just needs to change to decaf and Squall, well, he's just a nihilist. Probably the less annoying character in the party, to be honest...

User Info: 5tarscream

5tarscream
2 months ago#15
Tidus being a whiny b**** I can accept. I mean he has reason to be but still. I’m not sure I’d call him a grown man though. I can’t remember how old he is but I’d guess around 18. That’s not a grown man, at all.

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
2 months ago#16
Considering he is a sheltered teenager dropped in another world i don't think the early whining of Tidus is out of place. Can be forgiven because he's always ready to help everyone and grows out of it later in the game. Same with Lulu who starts being a b**** to develop a warmer personality.

Wakka on the other hand, starts as an ok guy to become an annoying and racist bigot. After the Bevelle events he is more wise and open minded, but he annoyed the s*** out of me in the middle game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
2 months ago#17
5tarscream posted...

yes, the tired defense force of "lol u just don't understand it". it clearly wasn't the fact that it was poor writing trying to make an endearing scene.
You just lost the game.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
2 months ago#18
Taterzz posted...
5tarscream posted...

yes, the tired defense force of "lol u just don't understand it". it clearly wasn't the fact that it was poor writing trying to make an endearing scene.

It was intentionally supposed to be awkward af. The writers succeeded, based on all the comments.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: EgoKiller801

EgoKiller801
2 months ago#19
BreakevenCloud posted...
Taterzz posted...
5tarscream posted...

It was intentionally supposed to be awkward af. The writers succeeded, based on all the comments.

I thought people knew this. It's pretty obvious by the dialogue.

It's always been a weird thing, man. Back when the game first came out I saw the scene and thought "huh, that was a weird scene" but nothing really more than that. I start using the internet regularly after that and apparently it's notorious as a horrific unintentionally awkward nightmare of a scene. I still don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people claim it is, and parts of the dialogue are actually kind of endearing. You know, that even when things are at their worst you need to keep it moving and find a way to not let it consume you. f***ing laugh like a maniac in public if you have to. I love the message. Was it bad in practice? Absolutely, it's not winning any screenwriting awards, that's for sure.

If anyone does feel that it was THAT BAD, that's all good, I'm not judging. I do think there are worse examples of awkward scenes back then, especially when actual voice acting started being a thing.

Tidus definitely is a bit annoying to me, especially in the first half of the game while he's dealing with daddy issues, but at the same time it's easy to sympathize with him given his circumstances. I really didn't like him at first because I was just coming off playing FF IX and loved the total player pimp legend that is Zidane. I stand by what I said in that I think Vaan is a far worse character than Tidus. His character model is an abomination, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me at times, and he barely even exists in the story of the game. Along with Penelo, he's the least important character in the party. Tidus at least has a character arc where he experiences change and becomes a stronger person throughout the game and is central to the plot.
https://i.imgur.com/YOs6vEi.png
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Taterzz

Taterzz
2 months ago#20
BreakevenCloud posted...

yes, and like i said it was meant to be endearing to the player. and it wasn't. their romance is almost as bad as the one between rinoa and squall.
You just lost the game.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Most annoying FF guy?