This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FF lady that annoyed you most?

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#31
Its not so much what she does, but how she is portrayed and how the story is told. Barrett does a lot of s***, but you can still relate to him, because he is presented as a relatable father, who struggles to find balance between that life and fighting for a cause that defines him. There's a lot of emotion there and it is presented in a believable way.

Yuffie robs you in a lolly way, then crazy things happen, then she is kidnapped by a deranged sex addict, after that she lollis some more and then the game goes on. It is how her story is presented, not the character itself. The game didn't made an effort to present her in way besides a comic relief dumb girl, and that's how the audience sees her. I cannot justify people liking her more than the developers tried to.

Also, robbing people so a nation can recover from a crisis is, pretty much, stupid. So very stupid... If she was trying to help her family or something more small-scale, heck, I could justify that. But a city or a nation? Nah...

Also, her dialogue during the game is pretty much "I'm bored" or "I want shiny things". I like her gameplay wise. But she is useless to the story. And the developers made sure of that.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#32
Firstly in regards to her thievery, I would agree with your take on the futility of stealing materia to benefit Wutai, but the game itself contradicts that.

We know the Cloud and co are in possession of the rarest, most valuable, and most powerful materia in the entire world, including summons and all sorts of overpowered blue/green/purple materia only accessible by venturing into every corner of the planet in dangerous places.
The party's materia is so powerful that it can be used by a small group of people to:
-destroy Shinra’s newest and most advanced mechanical weaponry
-defeat Shinra’s most elite soldiers
-defeat ancient super mecha-dragons created by the planet itself
-defeat a half-alien super-soldier who turned himself into a demigod

And considering that Wutai’s cultural identity involves preserving old ways and not buying into Shinra’s technological practices, that means that any wealth Wutai could accumulate to resist Shinra would be best spent on powerful materia anyway. They don’t use guns or bombs or tanks, they use melee weapons and magic.

And yes, powerful materia also needs a powerful warrior to carry it, but as we see in the pagoda, Wutai’s warriors have still been training and refining their skills, in addition to Yuffie herself being considerably powerful. If Cloud can gather a small but skilled team to take on Shinra/Sephiroth/the Weapons, then surely Wutai could use the same resources to only resist Shinra and re-establish independence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#33
loseless posted...
Barrett does a lot of s***, but you can still relate to him, because he is presented as a relatable father, who struggles to find balance between that life and fighting for a cause that defines him. There's a lot of emotion there and it is presented in a believable way.

Just as Barret is portrayed as a father, there’s a whole subplot designed to portray Yuffie as a relatable daughter.

The pagoda sidequest is about her returning home and proving her growth and abilities to her old community and ultimately her father.

Her father dismisses her belief in resisting Shinra and insists that it’s best to settle down and preserve their culture in private as a relic, and she stands her ground and convinces her dad and her old community that they were wasting their time and surrendering to the powers that be, and her dad even asks before she leaves if she can bring back Cloud’s materia after you’re done facing Sephiroth.

Yuffie robs you in a lolly way,

A lolly way? By taking your stuff and ditching you in a desert? That’s robbing you in a robber-y way.

then crazy things happen, then she is kidnapped by a deranged sex addict, after that she lollis some more and then the game goes on. It is how her story is presented, not the character itself. The game didn't made an effort to present her in way besides a comic relief dumb girl, and that's how the audience sees her. I cannot justify people liking her more than the developers tried to.

Elena also gets kidnapped by the sex addict, but people seem to like her just fine.
And again, her main sidequest involves her waking up the motivation of her father (a cultural leader himself) and the other elite warriors of Wutai to reignite their fight for independence. She’s portrayed as a kid for sure, but Cloud is also portrayed as a naive inept kid when we see him at that age in flashbacks. The difference being that at least we see Yuffie come into her own and find out what she stands for while still a kid.

Also, her dialogue during the game is pretty much "I'm bored" or "I want shiny things". I like her gameplay wise. But she is useless to the story. And the developers made sure of that.

All the characters have trivial dialogue for their scripted small-talk. Cid and Barret both shout expletives at everything that shocks them, Aeris plays flirty head-games with Cloud, Red XIII is portrayed as being tone-deaf to a lot of human culture, overall any non-emotional segment is gonna bring forth a lot of banality from the cast. But as mentioned, we also get a subplot where we see her make a stand and literally alter the course of Wutai’s history by fighting for her convictions.

Yes it’s only one subplot, but it’s in relation to Shinra's tyranny on the world, just like Barret’s personal subplots that just pertain to Shinra but don’t pertain to Sephiroth or any planetary threat. And it may only be one subplot, but she’s a secret character, Vincent also only gets one subplot and it’s significantly smaller and only involves walking into a room.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: lucthelad

lucthelad
2 months ago#34
Rinoa is my choice for annoying. Zell is my other choice for annoying.
<cite>HelpMePlox posted...</cite>
A 1:3 ratio would mean that out of a 100 RPG's, 66.6 would be J and 33.3 would be W.

User Info: EpsteinBarr

EpsteinBarr
2 months ago#35
lucthelad posted...
Rinoa is my choice for annoying. Zell is my other choice for annoying.

FFVIII was just one big facepalm.

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#36
Quistis by far.
It is one of my least characters in the franchise all together.

Eiko is also very annoying, but she is a kid, and kids are annoying, so that is good desing annoying and not "I pretend I am mature but do the most stupid things in the franchise" annoying.
[Its evolution, Baby.]
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 month ago#37
sano83 posted...
Quistis by far.
It is one of my least characters in the franchise all together.

Eiko is also very annoying, but she is a kid, and kids are annoying, so that is good desing annoying and not "I pretend I am mature but do the most stupid things in the franchise" annoying.

Design

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 month ago#38
Yes, thank you for correcting me.
It is the only way I will learn.

Eventually.
[Its evolution, Baby.]

User Info: dsaddict

dsaddict
1 month ago#39
I didn't like how Rydia called Edward a coward immediately after he grieved for his late fiance in FFIV. They tried making it better in the remake but it ended up being worse.
"I look like a boss, I feel like a boss, I taste like a boss..." Max B

User Info: CrazyKid12345

CrazyKid12345
1 month ago#40
If Rinoa was an option, I would have chosen her because I think Rinoa is a garbage character.
But I chose Vanille. Oooooooooooh, she annoys me.

Also, why is Ashe on the list? She's awesome.
"I don't like kids. I didn't even like kids when I was a kid." - Daria
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FF lady that annoyed you most?