This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FF lady that annoyed you most?

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#21
I would say Garnet but TC did state no bland characters lol.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: orah

orah
2 months ago#22
easily aerith for how much time she spent pushing herself on cloud. but S/E stepped it up and made rinoa 30x more obnoxious. even so.....i hated aerith pretty badly. they're a tie.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: meanspirit90

meanspirit90
2 months ago#23
Only 1 vote for Relm, probably because most people here never though her as a lady(only Edgar probably though she is a fair game).

I actually like Vanille because I play with japanese VA and she was excellent there. I think Selphie's antics is just soo egregrious so she is my pick. Also anyone else note that the lady with this kind of personality also possess game breaking mechanic?
Thirst of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Just go back to your beer

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#24
meanspirit90 posted...
Only 1 vote for Relm, probably because most people here never though her as a lady(only Edgar probably though she is a fair game).

I actually like Vanille because I play with japanese VA and she was excellent there. I think Selphie's antics is just soo egregrious so she is my pick. Also anyone else note that the lady with this kind of personality also possess game breaking mechanic?

Yes, If you are going to annoy the hell out of everyone you meet eventually you best have a game changer as back up lol.

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#25
I'll go for Yuffie, followed closely by Rikku. I haven't played 13 or any other FF after that.

As characters, they are quite different. Rikku has pretty good motivations but lacks any arc or development. Yuffie has a bad motivation but a decent character arc. In terms of characterization, Rikku wins, as Yuffie is pretty superficially treated in 7.

Realm gets 3rd place, behind Umaro and Gogo, in FF6's "why is this character here" award. Her relation to Shadow is interesting and all, but it is the player who learns that, not her.

Eiko has her moments, but she is a very good character.

Selphie is a much better character than the other party members. And she comes off as a very ordinary girl with a tendency to go nuts. Quistis is unrelatable, Zell is dumb, Irvine is meh, Squall and Rinoa are passable. Kiros and Ward are there. Lagune gets the cake, and I have insisted he ties Squall as having the best story in that game.

Ashe is extremely well written and developed. She was FF writing at its best.

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 months ago#26
codemann8 posted...
Yuffie and Rikku are basically the same character. They were designed to be the young, dumb, hot bombshells with childish antics that they are. So, being that that was the intention, I hardly mark then as being annoying. Now Yuna on the other hand, wasn't intentionally made to be annoying but was. It might've been due to voice acting and lack of facial graphics, but she seemed vacant and dry throughout the whole game despite supposing to be the "leader" of the pack.

I don't really think of Yuffie as a "hot bombshell", I always thought that she was more of the childish cute type.

I did however once see a barista girl at a Greek pub who looked a lot like Yuffie, and she was definitely quite hot.
...OR at least, that's what I think.

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#27
I think its more in the sense that they are the resident lolita characters of the respective game. And removing them from each game would even improve it. Rikku had potential for more, but the developers couldn't help themselves but T&A her and use her as a blatant plot device.

Lulu is even worse. She is a walking exposition script that contributes jack s*** to the story. At least Wakka had an arc, even if a lousy one.

Now that I think of it, FF10 really has bad characters all over. From antagonists to protagonists, the game barely makes sense.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
2 months ago#28
loseless posted...
As characters, they are quite different. Rikku has pretty good motivations but lacks any arc or development. Yuffie has a bad motivation but a decent character arc.

This is something I see a lot in regards to Yuffie’s actions in FF7, but I don’t see how it holds up when she’s put next to the rest of the cast.

As far as her wrongdoings go, it’s obvious what it is and why people dislike her: she robs you.

And it’s fair to condemn that, but FF7 is kinda meant to be a game of antiheroes.

Cloud, Tifa, and Barret begin the game as terrorists who unleash some massive bloodshed as a way to combat Shinra.

Vincent was a Turk, which is by its very nature a pretty dark, heartless occupation to have. Who knows how many people he’s hurt, kidnapped, or assassinated.

Cait Sith is Reeve, and works for Shinra so that goes without saying.

Cid is an abusive jerk who basically has the woman who saved his life trapped into servitude for years as he berates her and verbally harasses her just because he didn’t get to do a thing he wanted.

Red and Aeris are basically the two kindest people/wolf-cats with the cleanest hands.

So Yuffie’s certainly a thief who robs you once, and tries to jump you in the woods when you first meet. But that’s really small time crime compared to most of the actions of characters who seem to be far more beloved. As for her motivations, she’s not stealing for personal wealth or her own benefit, she’s trying to steal valuable materia so that her nation can economically stand up again after Shinra defeated them, distanced them from their culture, and turned them into a gentrified tourist destination where they depend on tourist money to stay alive.

So while there are still victims to her crimes, she does significantly less harm than most other characters, and she does so as a way of restoring her home and her culture from the damage that Shinra did. It’s actually quite relevant to the struggles a lot of real world nations, cities, and individual neighborhoods face even today.

I find her actions to be kinda unjustly condemned by the FF7 fandom in general, considering the pass we give to characters who do much worse for good reasons (Cloud/Tifa/Barret) or for pure selfish reasons (Cid).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: EpsteinBarr

EpsteinBarr
2 months ago#29
Fair point. I guess it’s all about tolerance for certain personality archetypes. Yuffie is most mentioned because it affects your party on a personal level. However, Cloud/Tifa/Barret do some horrible stuff too. Cid is a straight up abuser.

Olld-Onne
2 months ago#30
manmouse posted...

Red and Aeris are basically the two kindest people/wolf-cats with the cleanest hands.

Tells you his name In Nanaki. Everyone calls him Red lol. I always rename him Nanaki rather than use his test subject name. : )
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FF lady that annoyed you most?