This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6

User Info: SJeffries24

SJeffries24
1 month ago#31
It all depends on your personal taste. I and many others adore this game, others say it's very overrated.

I played it soon after it came out, and it was my VERY first JRPG. So it's actually one of the most important games in my entire life. RPGs are my favorite genre because of this very game.

Give it a shot. It's a little rough around the edges, especially in 2019. But it's well worth a playthru no matter what year we're in.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 month ago#32
Calmlander posted...
xx_SaintBoot_xx posted...
These days it's too difficult to choose out of FF's 4-10

Have you tried FFIII? It's from 1990 but it's really user friendly, and more importantly, it's a great game, fun to play, with imo, the best final dungeon(s) of any FF to date. Chaos Rush has released a new and modern translation.

If you are bad at fighting even the random encounters can make Onion soup with the warriors, so you have to pay attention always.

I dunno, I haven't played the OG but the DS one was a nightmare.

It would have been terrific if it weren't so dang grindy but it's a serious problem when you have to run through the dungeon back and forth thiry times before you stand a chance against the boss.

I'm just guessing here but that seems like the kind of thing that gets better with a remake.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Calmlander

Calmlander
1 month ago#33
DevsBro posted...
I'm just guessing here but that seems like the kind of thing that gets better with a remake.

I think the opposite with FFIII. In the original there is only one boss that's grindy, Garuda, and it's a total nightmare unless you use certain class, aside from him, it's more about don't running from the random battles and being well equipped.

In the remake, there are normal and jobs levels, and some jobs were useless unless the job level was high aswell. Is slower than the original aswell in terms of pacing, animations and so on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-LftggV1tc

Here's a good review of the game, personally i don't agree with him in the last dungeon, but i can see his point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWkvyeAu0E

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#34
Yeah honestly the original FF3 was an absolute joy for me to play. Being made late in the NES’s life, it plays closer to the SNES titles in terms of accessibility, just minus the ATB system (not a flaw for me, I honestly enjoy the simplicity of pure turn-based) and a couple difficulty spikes that are a bit sharper than what we see in later titles.

I did my fair share of grinding when I beat it, but that was mostly just to make it significantly easier on me, as opposed to games where you grind just to survive the next walk to a dungeon on the world map and grind again before you go inside etc. I’m the kind of person who will outright quit an otherwise good RPG if I feel like it’s asking too much grinding time from me, and this one passed my test at least.

When it comes down to it, part of its beauty is seeing just how well they used to NES hardware on that game. The music sounds so eerie and magical, like Uematsu was able to use the inherent traits of the NES soundchip to make a soundtrack that sounded like it was designed for that tone as opposed to earlier NES soundtracks that were limited by it. And graphically it makes great use of the limitations, getting a ridiculously colorful game out of it, nailing its aesthetic. That’s definitely lost on the vanilla looking art style from the remake. Hell, most of the sprites are nearly IDENTICAL to what we later see in FF4-5. And mechanically they had finally scrubbed off a lot of the more challenging and limited mechanics we saw in the previous two games, in terms of battles and item management.

Honestly I believe that if this game were mechanically unchanged, but just given a wider color palette and SNES sound, most of the FF fan base wouldn’t hesitate to group it in with the SNES titles.
With that said, again I think that would hurt the game anyway because their use of the NES audio and visuals is so gorgeous that it adds to the identity of the game in a lovely way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

User Info: Crashrfc

Crashrfc
1 month ago#35
Lordkill posted...
VII is legendary for a reason. No comparison.

What's the reason then?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
1 month ago#36
Crashrfc posted...
Lordkill posted...
VII is legendary for a reason. No comparison.

What's the reason then?

Probably because it was the first FF game in 3D, and also because it was actually the very first FF game that we Europeans had released here, unless you count FFMQ.

Thankfully, nobody decided to call it "Final Fantasy 1" over here - imagine how ridiculously confusing that would be.
It was confusing enough how FF4 and FF6 became FF2 and FF3 in America, so it's good that they didn't make the same mistake again.
...OR at least, that's what I think.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Crashrfc

Crashrfc
1 month ago#37
Peter_19 posted...
Probably because it was the first FF game in 3D, and also because it was actually the very first FF game that we Europeans had released here, unless you count FFMQ.

I agree. The popularity of ff7 largly comes down to the fact that for many people - myself included - it was the first. Doesn't really explain how it's 'legendary' with no comparison though. The only thing the game truly excels at is the soundtrack, with 'One Winged Angel' being one of the most iconic tunes in gaming. Everything else is largely mediocre.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: nokillingmoths

nokillingmoths
1 month ago#38
Crashrfc posted...
Peter_19 posted...

I agree. The popularity of ff7 largly comes down to the fact that for many people - myself included - it was the first. Doesn't really explain how it's 'legendary' with no comparison though. The only thing the game truly excels at is the soundtrack, with 'One Winged Angel' being one of the most iconic tunes in gaming. Everything else is largely mediocre.

What an awful opinion. Go back to 313 where you belong.

6 and 7 are the two best gamss of all time for me. They eclipse the rest of the series quite comfortably.

User Info: diamond weapon

diamond weapon
1 month ago#39
nokillingmoths posted...
Crashrfc posted...
Peter_19 posted...

What an awful opinion. Go back to 313 where you belong.

6 and 7 are the two best gamss of all time for me. They eclipse the rest of the series quite comfortably.

What makes your opinion any better or worse than his opinion?
Will the Leviathan make a covenant with thee? Behold! the hope of him is vain

User Info: nokillingmoths

nokillingmoths
1 month ago#40
@diamond_weapon

I know that guy from another board. I was joking.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6