This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
1 month ago#11
Dreamseeker posted...
VI is objectively the best game of all time. VII is not as great, but it's still one of the better titles.

What a silly statement.

I used to love 6 but it isn't really that good. 7 has its flaws but is definitely a more enjoyable game. It took me a couple playthroughs to fully appreciate 7 though, there are some nuances that you may not necessarily pick up the first time. The gameplay is great too - the difficulty feels appropriate for the most part, and the materia system has built in mechanisms for developing and enhancing your strategy. You can get creative with how you build your team, although you may need to look up certain things to get the most out of it.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: diamond weapon

diamond weapon
1 month ago#12
Kigalas posted...
I must say, it’s nice to see honesty and a lack of fanboyism in this thread.

diamond weapon posted...
Actually, if we're looking at objective metrics:
-Tetris is the best-selling game of all time.
-On just the SNES, FFVI is #11 based on sales, behind Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Street Fighter.
-Ocarina of Time takes first place in fan voting on Ranker.
-Time's top 50 list actually does have FFVI higher than FFVI, but both fall lower than Oregon Trail.

Sales aren’t an objective metric of greatness, and what does Time magazine know about video games?

By all means then, please provide an objective way of defining something like "the best game ever". You can't really do such a thing. It's something that is inherently subjective, as each individual will have their own criteria as to what makes a game "great". I don't think that there is such a thing as the greatest game ever. That being said, there are definitely great games that every gamer should play*, and both FFVI and FFVII are definitely on that list.

*like Dwarf Fortress!
Will the Leviathan make a covenant with thee? Behold! the hope of him is vain

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
1 month ago#13
diamond weapon posted...
Kigalas posted...

diamond weapon posted...
-On just the SNES, FFVI is #11 based on sales, behind Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Street Fighter.
-Time's top 50 list actually does have FFVI higher than FFVI, but both fall lower than Oregon Trail.

Sales aren’t an objective metric of greatness, and what does Time magazine know about video games?

By all means then, please provide an objective way of defining something like "the best game ever". You can't really do such a thing. It's something that is inherently subjective, as each individual will have their own criteria as to what makes a game "great". I don't think that there is such a thing as the greatest game ever. That being said, there are definitely great games that every gamer should play*, and both FFVI and FFVII are definitely on that list.

*like Dwarf Fortress!

You’re right, there isn’t one. Glad you came to that conclusion after trying to state the exact opposite. No need to jump down my throat just because I told you about the egg on your face though.
Playing: FFVII - Submarine sidequesting; DQV - Dragon Temple; Rock Band 4 - Expert Guitar lvl 42, 803/1899 played, 687 5+ stars
Up next: FFX-2, DQVII

User Info: loseless

loseless
1 month ago#14
VII has a more contemporary approach to world-building and nowadays, more than ever, is a very relatable story with very current themes to it. I strongly feel VI is a better design game and has better overall quality to it (especially in the writing and world-building aspects), but its like comparing pancakes to waffles: its the same doe, just baked slightly differently...

The translation in VII is an issue, however. While it won't ruin the game for a first time player, you will miss some subtle aspects of the narrative, especially certain plot clues that are given, if you go with it.

I believe one of the PC versions has the correct translation, so I would recommend that to you.

If you enjoy VI, you'll probably enjoy IX as well. As for VIII, well, take it with a truck load of salt... It has great moments and some great things in it. But I think many of its hit and miss elements ended up missing. Still a quality game and quite enjoyable experience, especially for those into meta-gaming.

Go back to at least IV and V as well. V has the best job system ever and is amazingly fun to play. It also has great characters in it. And IV is the best FF after VI in my opinion. Amazing story, great characters, great aesthetics. Can't go wrong there.

X is a different take on the series. It was completely designed by a different team and it shows. Its a very good game, but of a different kind. X-2 is even more hit and miss than VIII. XII, if you manage to play the zodiac version, its amazing. Again, very different, but extremely fresh and unique, while maintaining a few familiar elements.

I didn't play the PS3 games nor the last one. Pretty much said "screw you guys, I'm going home" after that.

User Info: hories

hories
1 month ago#15
loseless posted...
VII has a more contemporary approach to world-building and nowadays, more than ever, is a very relatable story with very current themes to it. I strongly feel VI is a better design game and has better overall quality to it (especially in the writing and world-building aspects), but its like comparing pancakes to waffles: its the same doe, just baked slightly differently...

The translation in VII is an issue, however. While it won't ruin the game for a first time player, you will miss some subtle aspects of the narrative, especially certain plot clues that are given, if you go with it.

I believe one of the PC versions has the correct translation, so I would recommend that to you.

If you enjoy VI, you'll probably enjoy IX as well. As for VIII, well, take it with a truck load of salt... It has great moments and some great things in it. But I think many of its hit and miss elements ended up missing. Still a quality game and quite enjoyable experience, especially for those into meta-gaming.

Go back to at least IV and V as well. V has the best job system ever and is amazingly fun to play. It also has great characters in it. And IV is the best FF after VI in my opinion. Amazing story, great characters, great aesthetics. Can't go wrong there.

X is a different take on the series. It was completely designed by a different team and it shows. Its a very good game, but of a different kind. X-2 is even more hit and miss than VIII. XII, if you manage to play the zodiac version, its amazing. Again, very different, but extremely fresh and unique, while maintaining a few familiar elements.

I didn't play the PS3 games nor the last one. Pretty much said "screw you guys, I'm going home" after that.

thanks bro gonna chek that

User Info: codemann8

codemann8
1 month ago#16
I have to admit, the first time I played this game, I definitely liked it, but i was definitely very confused by the story and didn't fully get it, and that took away from my earlier appreciation of the game. But after playing multiple times and learning more and more about the game and learning the character's developments, it's very much grown itself on me, and to me, definitely at the top of the list of games for me. I'll still be playing it when I'm 80.

diamond weapon
1 month ago#17
Kigalas posted...
diamond weapon posted...
Kigalas posted...

diamond weapon posted...

*like Dwarf Fortress!

You’re right, there isn’t one. Glad you came to that conclusion after trying to state the exact opposite. No need to jump down my throat just because I told you about the egg on your face though.

If you are reading anything into my posts other than respectful discussion, then that's on you.

Also, just because we both know that enjoying games is mostly subjective doesn't mean that we can't have some fun pointing it out to other people. That was really the whole point of my initial response to Dreamseeker's post about FFVI, to point out that a wide variety of sources each came up with a different take on what defines the "best" game ever.

User Info: Exystence

Exystence
1 month ago#18
Kigalas: *jumps down diamond weapon's throat*
diamond weapon: *measured response*
Kigalas: "whoa stop jumping down my throat"
~Exy || rateyourmusic.com/~Exystence
Don't be a henchman! Stand on your laurels! Do what no one else does and praise the good of other men for good man's sake!

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 month ago#19
loseless posted...

The DOUGH is different in pancakes and waffles. And neither are baked.

As for the translation issues of VII, I would play it more than once and then at some point check out the Ultimania translations here for serious plot points that are left ambiguous or not even touched upon.

diamond weapon
1 month ago#20
Technically, waffles and pancakes are both made with batters. A batter can be poured; a dough can be kneaded.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics belongs on any recommendation list for Final Fantasy, if strategy RPGs are your thing. Fun fact, FFT even has Cloud as a bonus character.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6