This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6

User Info: hories

hories
1 month ago#1
i started ff by the 6 is this one as great ?

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 month ago#2
Better IMO but others swear by 6. Still more say 9 is the best.

I would just try it for yourself. They're both quality games regardless of which one is better. :)

If you're looking for specifics of why I preferred 7, here are a few:

1. The aesthetic. FF7 has a sick dieselpunk style that's less common than the steampunk feel of 6.
2. The worldbuilding (and story). There's tons of lore in both games but 7's lore feels grander in scope to me.
3. 3D graphics. Not THE biggest thing but FF7 was one game where 3D graphics made a huge difference. Granted they've aged terribly but it allows more explicitly shown scale to lots of things and more impressive summon animations.
4. Breadth. I counted the other day and there are at least 29 minigames by the criteria I considered, and the majority of them are a part of the story or terrain traversal. Keeps things fresh.

Now there are also things I would definitely say 6 did better, including:

1. RPG elements. In 7, the characters are largely interchangable, aside from limit breaks (limited use special moves) and a couple of stat points. This does allow more flexibility, but it's IMO it's not a favorable tradeoff.
2. Dynamic world. 7 does change a bit a couple times but nothing so pronounced as in 6.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#3
Literally the only answer that matters:
They’re both different games that are great at what they are. Depending on your preferences in narrative, mechanics, and atmosphere, you’ll likely prefer one over the other.

I’ll pribably make a post about the key differences that I perceive between the two, later on. But anyone who says there’s one objective better game is simply just gonna muddy up and ruin the conversation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

hories
1 month ago#4
DevsBro posted...

I would just try it for yourself. They're both quality games regardless of which one is better. :)

1. The aesthetic. FF7 has a sick dieselpunk style that's less common than the steampunk feel of 6.
2. The worldbuilding (and story). There's tons of lore in both games but 7's lore feels grander in scope to me.
3. 3D graphics. Not THE biggest thing but FF7 was one game where 3D graphics made a huge difference. Granted they've aged terribly but it allows more explicitly shown scale to lots of things and more impressive summon animations.
4. Breadth. I counted the other day and there are at least 29 minigames by the criteria I considered, and the majority of them are a part of the story or terrain traversal. Keeps things fresh.

1. RPG elements. In 7, the characters are largely interchangable, aside from limit breaks (limited use special moves) and a couple of stat points. This does allow more flexibility, but it's IMO it's not a favorable tradeoff.
2. Dynamic world. 7 does change a bit a couple times but nothing so pronounced as in 6.

thanks gonna dowload it its true that the english traduction sucked should i dowload a patch?

User Info: Dreamseeker

Dreamseeker
1 month ago#5
VI is objectively the best game of all time. VII is not as great, but it's still one of the better titles.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
1 month ago#6
ahories posted...
DevsBro posted...

thanks gonna dowload it its true that the english traduction sucked should i dowload a patch?

It has a dozen or so cases of Engrish but it's perfect to follow. I wouldn't bother with a patch.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 1 month ago)

hories
1 month ago#7
DevsBro posted...
ahories posted...
DevsBro posted...

It has a dozen or so cases of Engrish but it's perfect to follow. I wouldn't bother with a patch.

okay perfect thanks

User Info: diamond weapon

diamond weapon
1 month ago#8
Dreamseeker posted...
VI is objectively the best game of all time. VII is not as great, but it's still one of the better titles.

@Dreamseeker

Actually, if we're looking at objective metrics:
-Tetris is the best-selling game of all time.
-On just the SNES, FFVI is #11 based on sales, behind Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Street Fighter.
-Ocarina of Time takes first place in fan voting on Ranker.
-Time's top 50 list actually does have FFVI higher than FFVI, but both fall lower than Oregon Trail.
-And also check out the Museum of Modern Art's exhibit, which includes games like Katamari Damacy, Portal, and Dwarf Fortress.
Will the Leviathan make a covenant with thee? Behold! the hope of him is vain

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
1 month ago#9
VI is the best game ever, imo. VII is very very good, tho
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
1 month ago#10
I must say, it’s nice to see honesty and a lack of fanboyism in this thread.

diamond weapon posted...
Actually, if we're looking at objective metrics:
-Tetris is the best-selling game of all time.
-On just the SNES, FFVI is #11 based on sales, behind Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Street Fighter.
-Ocarina of Time takes first place in fan voting on Ranker.
-Time's top 50 list actually does have FFVI higher than FFVI, but both fall lower than Oregon Trail.

Sales aren’t an objective metric of greatness, and what does Time magazine know about video games?
Playing: FFVII - Submarine sidequesting; DQV - Finding Zenithia; Rock Band 4 - Expert Guitar lvl 42, 803/1899 played, 687 5+ stars
Up next: FFX-2, DQVII
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. how good is this game compared to ff6