This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Gravity called Demi?

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
4 weeks ago#11
PLAYS MANY GAMES posted...
I have the same issue with poison being called bio. Bio means life.

Germs, diseases, parasites, etc. are living things. Plagues are caused by bacteria, for example. The Black Plague is a living organism
http://i.imgur.com/WQJlV.png

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
4 weeks ago#12
Thank you for all the replies.

User Info: NFITC1

NFITC1
4 weeks ago#13
Hilarious how everyone's holding issue with naming of magics and doesn't bring up Heal/Cure inconsistency.

It was called Demi in the FF3US back in the SNES days and likely kept the name when moving to FF7 just because it has the same function. The reason for that is space limitations on the characters that could make up the name of an action. In FF3US, only 6 characters could be used which is why we have "Ice" instead of "Blizzard" and "Merton" instead of "Meltdown", etc.
Happily married since May 31, 2003

User Info: BetaSquadron

BetaSquadron
4 weeks ago#14
DevsBro posted...
magikid posted...
I guess the real question is why it's considered gravity-based.

It vaguely makes sense kinda sorta if you think too hard, like gravity exerts a force proportional to the target's mass, while FF gravity magic deals damage proportional to the target's HP. I guess.

Problem is all forces are proportional to mass

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 weeks ago#15
BetaSquadron posted...
DevsBro posted...
magikid posted...
I guess the real question is why it's considered gravity-based.

It vaguely makes sense kinda sorta if you think too hard, like gravity exerts a force proportional to the target's mass, while FF gravity magic deals damage proportional to the target's HP. I guess.

Problem is all forces are proportional to mass

If you're referring to F=ma, that's more about what kind of F is required to satisfy a particular m and a, or what kind of a results from a given F and m. Note also that it's technically Fnet.

As a pretty basic counter-example, electric force is modeled by F=kq1q2/r^2. No mass in the formula.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: BillyLester

BillyLester
3 weeks ago#16
“It vaguely makes sense kinda sorta if you think too hard”

By far my the best thing I’ve read and can fully relate to today....
Rise above the pressure in the eyes of my aggressor
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Gravity called Demi?
  • Topic Archived