This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Gravity called Demi?

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
4 weeks ago#1
Maybe there’s some common knowledge explanation for this that I never thought of or even knew, but what does Demi mean that it’s used for Gravity spells throughout the games?

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
4 weeks ago#2
Demi = part

And it does a fixed part of a target’s health.

Demigod, for example = part god
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: magikid

magikid
4 weeks ago#3
I guess the real question is why it's considered gravity-based.
MagiKid - Soup Spoon
A pro isn't someone who sacrifices himself for his job. That's just a fool. - Reno, Final Fantasy VII

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 weeks ago#4
magikid posted...

It vaguely makes sense kinda sorta if you think too hard, like gravity exerts a force proportional to the target's mass, while FF gravity magic deals damage proportional to the target's HP. I guess.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35

User Info: WhPlague

WhPlague
4 weeks ago#5
demi is also a french words, means half

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
4 weeks ago#6
DevsBro posted...
magikid posted...

It vaguely makes sense kinda sorta if you think too hard, like gravity exerts a force proportional to the target's mass, while FF gravity magic deals damage proportional to the target's HP. I guess.

That’s actually a good thought.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

User Info: Raiu

Raiu
4 weeks ago#7
"Demi" specifically means "half", not "part".

But because Gravity spells don't have consistent effects in the Japanese version, the name doesn't always make sense in the English translations. In FF5 and FF6, Gravity (Demi in the original US translations) reduces the target's HP to 50% of what it was before, while Graviga (Demi2 in FF5, Quartr in FF6) reduces it to 25%. (Normally there's a "-ra" spell between the basic and the "-ga" spell, but not in this case)

But FF7 changes the percentages somewhat and adds the "-ra" spell, leading to confusion: Gravity (now Demi1) reduces the targets HP to 75% of what it was before, Gravira (Demi2) to 50%, Graviga (now Demi3) to 25%.

I think that's why they just started using the Gravity name starting with FF8.
-Raiutaryuu-

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
4 weeks ago#8
Yeah, it’s a weird thing. It’s interesting that it’s an element but it’s all or nothing (no absorption). I do like how they gave it some teeth in IX to make it a bit more than a situational spell that you might use a handful of times on high hp trash mobs. It’s funny how Diablos rewards you in VIII for casting it on him after Drawing it. “Hey, you use these spells too? You’re cool, I’ll heal you.”

I think it exists as a way to round out the Time Mage class from V so it had more than just Comet and Meteor as damage spells.
Playing: FFVII - Highwind side-questing; DQV - Helmunaptra; Rock Band 4 - Expert Guitar lvl 39, 729/1899 played, 616 5+ stars
Up next: FFX-2, DQVII

User Info: PLAYS MANY GAMES

PLAYS MANY GAMES
4 weeks ago#9
I have the same issue with poison being called bio. Bio means life.
This post is a PMG production. All events in this production are based on PMG's experiences any similar events are purely coincidental

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 weeks ago#10
PLAYS MANY GAMES posted...
I have the same issue with poison being called bio. Bio means life.

Could be short for biohazard or bioweapon.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Why is Gravity called Demi?
  • Topic Archived