This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FFVII remake would be better off if they did it the RE way....

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
4 weeks ago#1
I just can't get this out of my mind. If SE only knew that they didn't have to put in THAT much work to make an INCREDIBLE remake.

All that people want is updated graphics or music. Imagine FFVII with all new, photo real backdrops utilizing the power of the PS4 in 4K. Orchestrated music. They can still expand on the world adding new areas to Midgar, etc. or new bosses and whatever they want. MOST importantly, it'd be easier to keep the game everyone wants it to be...TURN-BASED and no voice acting.

Dammit, there's so much potential to keep the game as it was yet still make it feel like a completely new game. Pretty much just like what Capcom did with RE - tat is a perfect example!
TOP 5 consoles: 1. PS1 | 2. PS2 | 3. NES | 4. Genesis | 5. PS3

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
4 weeks ago#2
It’s not quite PS4 or 4K quality, but there are a number of “re-skinned” mods of FFVII, that have much more detailed poly models and sharpened pre-rendered backgrounds. Because they are basically patches, the gameplay and mechanics are largely unchanged. The experience you are looking for might already exist.

User Info: Kalta79

Kalta79
4 weeks ago#3
I'm looking forward to the remake only to have more of the Turks. I want voice acting(at least for Reno/Rude keep who they had in AC and Zack in Crisis Core). I really don't care what they do with the Shinra Co./Sephiroth and protagonists...aka Cloud and AVALANCHE. And don't ruin the characters' appearance like they did with the FFX HD remaster. So please don't assume what you want is what everyone else is looking for. We all want different things.
Reno is my favorite FFVII character. If you don't like him, that's your problem, not mine.

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
4 weeks ago#4
Kind of agree

Changing a game at a core design level is just as disrespectful to the original as Hollywood's habit of buying a licence and making something nothing like. A decent FF7 remake MUST be turn-based.

But on the other hand, if all you do is update resources, it's a total waste of a remake. At the very least, it needs more side missions, more dialog/lore, more materia, full VA (except maybe the NPC's), more secrets, more superbosses and new moves for the existing bosses, it needs to expand/improve the minigames (including the Midgar escape, snowboarding, Tifa vs Scarlet, etc) and consideration needs to be given to whether formerly prerendered assets can/should instead be rendered realtime.
53 LIII 0b110101
p16 0x35
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
4 weeks ago#5
Remaster would be more welcome than a remake. Give it a facelift, smooth out the lego blocks, speed up the battles and flesh out the story/translation a little better.

S-E will still obviously go the cash grab route, but I won’t be buying the remake so it doesn’t bother me.
Playing: FFVII - Nibelheim; Dragon Quest V - Some gambling after Coburg
Up next: FFXIII, DQVII, Bravely Default

cjtencounter
4 weeks ago#6
rsnbau posted...
It’s not quite PS4 or 4K quality, but there are a number of “re-skinned” mods of FFVII, that have much more detailed poly models and sharpened pre-rendered backgrounds. Because they are basically patches, the gameplay and mechanics are largely unchanged. The experience you are looking for might already exist.

Would I be able to get this for the Mac??? Because yes, that would be pretty great. Just the fact that the character models would look normal would almost be enough for me. FFVII deserves at least THAT much of an upgrade. But all in all, the game is already so perfect...the little tweaks that the game deserves like even a fully orchestrated soundtrack would ADD volumes to the overall experience.

cjtencounter
4 weeks ago#7
Kalta79 posted...
I'm looking forward to the remake only to have more of the Turks. I want voice acting(at least for Reno/Rude keep who they had in AC and Zack in Crisis Core). I really don't care what they do with the Shinra Co./Sephiroth and protagonists...aka Cloud and AVALANCHE. And don't ruin the characters' appearance like they did with the FFX HD remaster. So please don't assume what you want is what everyone else is looking for. We all want different things.

Ok, I don't wish to assume everyone wants what I want. But I think many of the FFVII fans want the core experience to be the same just with an updated experience since the look and sounds are very outdated now in FFVII. At least FF8 and FF9 still look and feel great.

But yeah, so you actually want FFVII to play like FFXV??? No thanks for me. I think it would no longer be FFVII.

cjtencounter
4 weeks ago#8
DevsBro posted...
Kind of agree

Changing a game at a core design level is just as disrespectful to the original as Hollywood's habit of buying a licence and making something nothing like. A decent FF7 remake MUST be turn-based.

But on the other hand, if all you do is update resources, it's a total waste of a remake. At the very least, it needs more side missions, more dialog/lore, more materia, full VA (except maybe the NPC's), more secrets, more superbosses and new moves for the existing bosses, it needs to expand/improve the minigames (including the Midgar escape, snowboarding, Tifa vs Scarlet, etc) and consideration needs to be given to whether formerly prerendered assets can/should instead be rendered realtime.

I agree. With what I stated, you can still have all that extra stuff - bosses, more side missions, voice-acting (but ONLY if on the same level as something like in The Last of Us or Uncharted games...man, some of the amazing voice acting out there spoiled me. I cannot accept FFX-level voice acting) and new items/weapons, etc. without it being FULLY 3D.

To compare, if it MUST be done in 3D than the FFVII world map would have to be on par with something like the mountainscapes you see in the Shadow of the Colossus remake. No less. Anything less would be seen as a disappointment. This means Square really needs to step it up because the competition out there is fierce. FFVII needs to be state of the art as it is such a classic as well as it was one of the best (if not the best) looking games of its time.

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
4 weeks ago#9
cjtencounter posted...
Would I be able to get this for the Mac??? Because yes, that would be pretty great. Just the fact that the character models would look normal would almost be enough for me. FFVII deserves at least THAT much of an upgrade. But all in all, the game is already so perfect...the little tweaks that the game deserves like even a fully orchestrated soundtrack would ADD volumes to the overall experience.

I don’t actually play this game with any of the mods, I just know that they exist.
Iirc, the most popular ones I hear about are the 7th Heaven Mod and the Reunion Mod. Take a look on YouTube to see some examples of these, and other patches/mods.
I would imagine you can find a way to play it on Mac, but you might need a PC to actually apply the mods though. Idk.

User Info: Dreamseeker

Dreamseeker
4 weeks ago#10
cjtencounter posted...
All that people want is updated graphics

Nobody wants that. FFVII is the best-looking game of all time.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FFVII remake would be better off if they did it the RE way....