This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Corel in ruins? Why?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Corel in ruins? Why?

User Info: TitanOxide

TitanOxide
1 month ago#11
codemann8 posted...
If the citizens of North Corel were serious about economic prosperity, they'd harvest Right Arms from the Bombs on the bridge right next door.

Haven't they suffered enough? Now you wish to put them further into harms way? Suicide mission if I've ever heard one.

Also, Shinra-PETA is going to hear about this one!
Where's the irony button when you need it.....

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
1 month ago#12
Look at the fate of the different impoverished cities that have hosted Olympic Games that get left tattered and in debt with hollowed husks of facilities and massive cleanups left undone.

Hell, I haven't been there in 10 years but last I knew, Anaheim (home city of Disney Land) was pretty busted up in many sections because all the tourist money goes to Disneyland itself without people supporting local businesses. Apparently it's been aggressively gentrified in recent years with homes being bought up by "property management companies", meaning the average home price will now reflect the buying power of a wealthy business instead of reflecting the income of the individual locals, meaning even more residents are suffering and struggling even though the buildings are looking prettier than before, and everyone is stuck renting, not owning, homes that keep them firmly hungry.

You're overestimating the humanity of wealthy capitalists. As long as "number 1" is getting their cash, everything else can decay to infinity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY

TitanOxide
1 month ago#13
manmouse posted...
Look at the fate of the different impoverished cities that have hosted Olympic Games that get left tattered and in debt with hollowed husks of facilities and massive cleanups left undone.

Hell, I haven't been there in 10 years but last I knew, Anaheim (home city of Disney Land) was pretty busted up in many sections because all the tourist money goes to Disneyland itself without people supporting local businesses. Apparently it's been aggressively gentrified in recent years with homes being bought up by "property management companies", meaning the average home price will now reflect the buying power of a wealthy business instead of reflecting the income of the individual locals, meaning even more residents are suffering and struggling even though the buildings are looking prettier than before, and everyone is stuck renting, not owning, homes that keep them firmly hungry.
Property management companies? Last I read it was Disney themselves buying up all the land around themselves in order to spike prices for everything.
You're overestimating the humanity of wealthy capitalists. As long as "number 1" is getting their cash, everything else can decay to infinity.

User Info: The_Juice_

The_Juice_
4 weeks ago#14
Remember that this is a town built entirely on coal mining in a world that just overnight decided they didn't need coal anymore, so not only was there an entire town destroyed after the fire (in a world that clearly does not have insurance policies) but none of them have any skills that they can take to do anything else.

Also there are more people in the prison than in the town so clearly the man is trying to keep them down.
Difference in men & women: http://i.imgur.com/kHCwK2p.jpg
Broncos l Raptors l Dodgers l Maple Leafs l UCLA

TitanOxide
4 weeks ago#15
The_Juice_ posted...
in a world that clearly does not have insurance policies

Who do you think is selling the insurance policies?

Shin-Ra isn't going to pay out anything.

User Info: nolanaced

nolanaced
4 weeks ago#16
Yeah it’s not like Shinra in gunna rebuild the town and pretend nothing happened...
Instead of doing things twice, take twice as long the first time

User Info: codemann8

codemann8
4 weeks ago#17
You mean like Nibelheim?

User Info: simondrake

simondrake
4 weeks ago#18
Maybe the ropeway station came first.
Maybe Dio built his ropeway station that can take people to Gold Saucer and these smelly homeless Corellians set up their tents outside hoping to beg a few Gil off the passing tourists?
To strive, to seek, to find. And not to yield.

User Info: codemann8

codemann8
4 weeks ago#19
That's all I'm saying is wouldn't this rotten ruined city affect business at the Saucer? I certainly wouldn't want to go thru Detroit to get to Disneyland. That's all my point was about.

User Info: manmouse

manmouse
4 weeks ago#20
codemann8 posted...
You mean like Nibelheim?

They rebuilt Nibelheim because they had to cover up Sephiroth's massacre. He was one of the world's biggest celebrities so his actions were gonna be high profile if it got out, and they needed the resources that the town offered.

Contrast this to Corel where they were able to be a bit more open about it, due to pinning their actions as retaliation for an alleged terrorist attack.
Add to this the fact that Corel had no more resources to offer the world as a coal mining town that had been all but forgotten.

codemann8 posted...
That's all I'm saying is wouldn't this rotten ruined city affect business at the Saucer? I certainly wouldn't want to go thru Detroit to get to Disneyland. That's all my point was about.

See my earlier post. Again I haven't seen the town in recent years, but in past decades, Anaheim (where Disneyland is located) was a pretty busted up place. All the tourist money was spent within Disneyland itself and nothing "trickled down" back into the local economy. So there was poverty, gang activity, drugs running rampant, all that good stuff.

And in recent years (particularly right now) there's been a huge controversy about Disney's wages and their workers' ability to live on what they pay, because like most of southern CA, wealthy property management companies have bought up thousands of homes, dresses them up a bit, and are now renting them out for massively inflated costs. So this has two particular obvious effects:
1.) home-ownership is now out of reach for the average adult, since home prices now reflect the buying power of a wealthy property management company, rather than the income of a normal adult.
2.) the rents are so inflated that the people working for the town's largest employer (you guessed it, Disney) can hardly afford to live where they work because Disney has only just now (after massive social pressure) agreed to raise their wages.

To sum it up, in order to get to Disneyland you have to go through a poverty-stricken town anyway, so that makes that point kinda moot.

Also note my earlier comment on the Olympic Games. They often are held in highly populated cities with poverty running out of control. The Olympic committee does nothing to build up the cities that host them, instead they often make the situation worse. Yet people still flock to the games and drop money like it's nothing.

People seem to have too much faith in big businesses. They don't build up impoverished areas. As a matter of fact, it's usually to the benefit of the business to let the regions around them fall into disrepair, because every dollar that doesn't go to their neighbors is a dollar that goes into their own pocket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Corel in ruins? Why?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived