This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the game dated/is there romance?

User Info: cramp22

cramp22
9 months ago#1
So first things first, I just bought FFVII on the PS4 store and I'm planning on finally playing it. As a huge fan of good RPGs, I don't know why I never played it before, but I'm going to attempt to fix that. Anyways, I was hoping some of the experienced players here could answer a few questions I had.

1. Old ass game? As someone who's mostly played more recent RPGs (Witcher 3, Persona 4/5, Mass Effect 1-3, etc) is this going to feel super dated to me? More specifically, is there a decent amount of info on where to go for quests? I don't mind playing dated games, but I'd prefer to actually have some sense of direction, if only to the point where I'm not stumbling around like a lost autistic kid.

2. Romance? So I'm not like one of those losers who goes around saying "if this game doesn't have romance, I refuse to play it". I think it's stupid to avoid a game just because of a lack of in-game romance. But at the same time, I do enjoy seeing romance in games if done right, as it can really get me invested into characters and the overall story.

So that being said, IS there any romance in this game aside from that one date scene at the carnival? And if there is, is it just for Aerith, or is there also anything with Tifa? I'm not trying to feul the war between Aerith/Tifa fans that's been raging on for the better part of 20 years. But based off of what I've seen from the game, Aerith just comes across as pretty lame to me, whereas Tifa seems much more interesting and just flat out better (not to mention her rack). So yeah, #TeamTifa, can I do that?

Among those questions, any advice yall have for me as I dive into this game? Any responses/discussions would be appreciated. Cheers!

User Info: Szymaa

Szymaa
9 months ago#2
It's hard to say if it will feel dated because that threshold is different for everybody.

Answer #1: There's a ton of info out there on where you need to go in the game. If you click a few tabs over and consult Absolute Steve's FAQ, he answers basically every question you could possibly need to know about the game.

Answer #2: Aside from one (and a half) scenes in the game there isn't anything in the way of romance that you can directly influence. It's mostly limited to dialogue.
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves

User Info: Firstclass91

Firstclass91
9 months ago#3
You are going to love this game. As far as direction, the game seems to guide you through pretty well. There are several parts that are murky as far as what to do, like the wall street market cross dressing part. I hated all of that. Besides that, if you just talk to people in town they will hint at where to go.

Buckle up, its an awesome story. People claim it hasnt aged well, but i dont think the nuances of the blocky graphics outweigh the awesomeness of the game.

Im not sure about the romance. I never pay much attention to all that. Im replaying in for the second time after many years, and am only like 8 hours in. Can't help you there.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
9 months ago#4
To piggy back off the Wall Market thing, just be sure to talk to everyone. It’s still one of my favorite sequences in all of gaming. “Oppressed People” is one of the the best tunes and is great with that area 😁
Caveat emptor

cramp22
9 months ago#5
Szymaa posted...
It's hard to say if it will feel dated because that threshold is different for everybody.

Answer #1: There's a ton of info out there on where you need to go in the game. If you click a few tabs over and consult Absolute Steve's FAQ, he answers basically every question you could possibly need to know about the game.

Answer #2: Aside from one (and a half) scenes in the game there isn't anything in the way of romance that you can directly influence. It's mostly limited to dialogue.

I'll defonately check out the FAQ you mentioned. And it's a shame there isn't much in the way of romance, but oh well, I'm sure I'll still love the game. Maybe the remake could improve upon that though haha. Thanks for the response!

cramp22
9 months ago#6
Firstclass91 posted...
You are going to love this game. As far as direction, the game seems to guide you through pretty well. There are several parts that are murky as far as what to do, like the wall street market cross dressing part. I hated all of that. Besides that, if you just talk to people in town they will hint at where to go.

Buckle up, its an awesome story. People claim it hasnt aged well, but i dont think the nuances of the blocky graphics outweigh the awesomeness of the game.

Im not sure about the romance. I never pay much attention to all that. Im replaying in for the second time after many years, and am only like 8 hours in. Can't help you there.

You've got me even more excited now haha. As soon as I finish playing Persona 5, launching FF7 is gunna be the first thing I do. And yeah, graphics are nice, but I care about story content much more. Thanks for replying

cramp22
9 months ago#7
BreakevenCloud posted...
To piggy back off the Wall Market thing, just be sure to talk to everyone. It’s still one of my favorite sequences in all of gaming. “Oppressed People” is one of the the best tunes and is great with that area 😁

I watched a clip from YouTube. It seemed far too silly for my liking, but maybe my opinion will change when I get to that part.

User Info: wpot

wpot
9 months ago#8
If you are used to modern games, then yes - there will be an adjustment period. The graphics are blocky and the storyline is a lot of fun, but it's fun in a rather cartoonish way (as opposed to gritty modern games). There are also silly/etc sequences at time. That said, this was notably gritty by the standards of 1997: the characters swear, there are 'questionable' areas like Wall Market, the difference between good and bad is blurred, etc.

True romance...well, a bit. I was going to say no, but the relationship between Cloud and Tifa gets a lot of screen time and they develop over time. The game will affect you emotionally, let's just say that.

If you wanted to go backwards in time I might have told you to play FFX first (particularly if interested in romance). FF7 has a larger adjustment period. That said, it DOES have the best world once you get in to it.
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.

cramp22
9 months ago#9
wpot posted...
If you are used to modern games, then yes - there will be an adjustment period. The graphics are blocky and the storyline is a lot of fun, but it's fun in a rather cartoonish way (as opposed to gritty modern games). There are also silly/etc sequences at time. That said, this was notably gritty by the standards of 1997: the characters swear, there are 'questionable' areas like Wall Market, the difference between good and bad is blurred, etc.

True romance...well, a bit. I was going to say no, but the relationship between Cloud and Tifa gets a lot of screen time and they develop over time. The game will affect you emotionally, let's just say that.

If you wanted to go backwards in time I might have told you to play FFX first (particularly if interested in romance). FF7 has a larger adjustment period. That said, it DOES have the best world once you get in to it.

Well I'm glad that there's at least something for Cloud and Tifa. I've always really liked them as a pairing (is that weird considering I haven't even played this game yet lol?). And yes, I plan to play FFX eventually as well, probably right after VII in fact. I just wanted to start with this because, as this will be my first FF game, I want to play the one that most people consider the best AND is being remade.

User Info: wpot

wpot
9 months ago#10
cramp22 posted...
as this will be my first FF game, I want to play the one that most people consider the best AND is being remade.

Fair enough, so long as you can adapt to some of its weirdnesses without a 'transition game'.

For what it's worth, FF8 was built around a romance (it's the logo of the game). Is it well done? Well, it's not bad for a high-school romance, but it's a high-school romance. FF8 also has a weird, oft-unrealistic plot that can be distracting at times.

FF9 is well polished (for a PS game) and has a romance that's pretty well done (if not central to the plot). I would have recommended it to you, but it has a relatively cartoonish art style and early light-heartedness that might give you the wrong impression of the game/series coming from the gritty current games.

Anyways, whatever. Enjoy!
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Is the game dated/is there romance?
  • Topic Archived