This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FFVII: The Most Returned Videogame Ever!

User Info: Flubblechuffs

Flubblechuffs
2 years ago#1
http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/lists/flashback-the-best-games-of-1997-w473999/final-fantasy-vii-w474003

I made a topic in the remake board recently about why I don't think it'll do as well as people expect due to this topic title. Seems alot of people haven't heard this before unless you're a UK gamer and were gaming back in 1997. So prepare to have your socks blown off and geting triggered. Maybe?

User Info: MC_BatCommander

MC_BatCommander
2 years ago#2
That sounds like a load of bulls*** tbh. I have never heard of the game being "the most returned" game. I did some searching and couldn't find any evidence beyond some anecdotes. That article doesn't even cite any sources on that statement.
The Legend is True!

User Info: Lagunathemoron

Lagunathemoron
2 years ago#3
I believe it.

It was the first big RPG here, And the trailers only showed FMVs. I bought a lot of magazines in the mid 90s and a lot of the pictures showed the exploration and FMVs. Nobody expected the turn based battle sustem... to some, including myself it was the first time we have ever seen it.

The Guard Scorpion boss took me days to get by before using the strategy in the instructions. The infamous first boss would have or a lot of people off, And I heard a lot of other lads at school pissed off with the game.

In fact, looking back there was a lot of preowned copies in EB if memory serves me right, as I wondered why so many people returned a great game and it dawned on me much later... it was so different and so difficult.
No sig. Sorry.

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
2 years ago#4
The claim may be true but the narrative is imaginary. It sold huge numbers and it was from a new/unknown genre. It makes sense if it had more returns than "standard" games like Mario or turds that never sold anything to begin with, it says little about it's popularity more broadly though. You can hunt for anecdotes and rationalize your claims all day but FFVII is still highly acclaimed and iconic in the industry.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.
(message deleted)

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
2 years ago#6
Pretty sure Mario was an example of standard games that sell huge numbers, and turds were the unknown games. Pretty much everybody who buys a Mario game knows that they're going to get. Most the people who brought FFVII did not, being that JRPGs weren't a popular genre and the marketing wasn't highlighting that aspect. It's not like people were returning it en masse, but given the huge initial sales and the likelihood of it not being what the average consumer expected, it's believable, just not that meaningful and something that probably can't be shown beyond anecdotal evidence.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
2 years ago#7
shadow666 posted...
Pretty sure Mario was an example of standard games that sell huge numbers, and turds were the unknown games. Pretty much everybody who buys a Mario game knows that they're going to get. Most the people who brought FFVII did not, being that JRPGs weren't a popular genre and the marketing wasn't highlighting that aspect. It's not like people were returning it en masse, but given the huge initial sales and the likelihood of it not being what the average consumer expected, it's believable, just not that meaningful and something that probably can't be shown beyond anecdotal evidence.

Yes, I just realised what TomorrowDog meant, so I removed my previous comment. =P

User Info: mled

mled
2 years ago#8
This isn't a bogus story, I remember reading it on several magazines back in the day, sure, the official PlayStation or Sony financed magazines would not say it for obvious reasons since it would look bad.

FFVII was the most returned videogame in the UK that year. People blamed the marketing only showing FMVs and little gameplay if any at all.

All those "cool" kids who didn't really like videogames to begin with didn't like what they got when they actually tried the game.

That's not surprising, if the sports guy in your classroom would have bought FFVII out of peer pressure, wouldn't it make sense that he returned it afterwards since it clearly wasn't the game for him?

Now, one important detail is that neither source ever quoted the numbers, so... as far as we know 100 copies could have been returned and that would make it the most returned game that year, and that is hardly a lot if it sold 5000 units or more.
Check out my Digital Art website:
http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital

User Info: NFITC1

NFITC1
2 years ago#9
I heard that Atari's E.T. was one of the most returned game of all time.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3361/jokertotabx7.png
Happily married since May 31, 2003

User Info: rsnbau

rsnbau
2 years ago#10
^Did you also hear that they found a storage container buried in the New Mexico desert, filled with 881 copies of Atari’s E.T.? It was so bad they couldn’t sell them, so they buried them.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. FFVII: The Most Returned Videogame Ever!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A