This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First playthrough Planning Help (Please no spoilers if possible!)?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First playthrough Planning Help (Please no spoilers if possible!)?

User Info: Peerlessly

Peerlessly
2 years ago#1
Hello, this is my first time playing FF7, and instead of going through the hassle of making every character the same, I decided to give characters "job classes" since I just recently finished playing FF5. I don't plan to use enemy skill for my first playthrough because of overpoweredness/annoyingness to get, and also summons since I hear that they are useless.
This is my planned party:
Cloud:Red Mage/Time Mage/Paladin: Fire,Ice,and thunder magic, with restore and time magic, mp plus, cover, mp absorb
Tifa:Monk/White Mage/Geomancer: Restore Magic, White Magic Buffs such as barrier and wall, slash all,double cut, deathblow,counter attack,hp plus, magic +,earth,wind,and holy magic
Cid: Physical Based,Dragoon: All Command Materia ,long range,counter attack, speed +, luck +,mega all,elemental,hp absorb
I don't plan to use the other characters.

Would the final boss be beatable without enemy skill and summons, and also with the party I have planned? I'm afraid that Tifa's and Cloud's attack power will be so low as a result of the amount of materia I have equipped, and only Cid will be decent at physical damage. I don't know how effective magic is on the final boss either. I probably am overthinking this and I don't even know if there are enough slots per character that can fit all the materia that I listed..any help is appreciated.

User Info: shadow666

shadow666
2 years ago#2
Can't use both Slash-All and Double Cut on one character, and there isn't much in the way of Wind/Holy spells in this FF. Elemental and HP Absorb are support materia so you'll need something to link them to. Summons aren't entirely terrible, it's mainly the elemental ones that are poor, while there are some fairly useful support-ish summons and the non-elemental summons are pretty overpowered.
You are kinda overthinking it though. Don't worry too much about the final boss, the game isn't difficult so just enjoy it and adjust your plans as you go along.
Nothing to see here.

User Info: BreakevenCloud

BreakevenCloud
2 years ago#3
Short answer: There's almost nothing you can do to make it impossible to beat this game. Yeah, you can make it harder or easier by doing certain restrictions, but it'll still be perfectly fine to do whatever you want.

Just enjoy!
"It was a high council I once heard given to a young person, 'Always do what you are afraid to do.'"

User Info: waynedunwhat

waynedunwhat
2 years ago#4
The game is so long it will toughen you up and prepare you for the final boss just by playing through it, enjoy :)

User Info: Raiu

Raiu
2 years ago#5
Summons are far from useless. They lack the variety of Black Magic (but then again, they always have), but they make up for it in raw power. The elemental summons are only about as powerful as the -2 version of each elemental spell (so they're not great), Leviathan and up are about equal to or more powerful than the -3 version of each elemental spell, and the top two summon spells outdo Ultima. The most powerful spell in the game is a summon. And they're not entirely without utility - the weakest summon casts Stop on all foes, and another can inflict almost every status ailment in addition to doing damage.

The final boss, though is not really all that hard. The first time I beat it I was only level 50, without any of the characters' final Limit Breaks, without any of the most powerful spells, and with Red XIII and Vincent as Cloud's teammates. I thought the boss right before it was harder, since it has some puzzle elements to it. There's technically a boss after the "final" boss, but it's just for show. You literally can't lose that fight
-Raiutaryuu-

User Info: keba-b

keba-b
2 years ago#6
Cloud:Red Mage/Time Mage/Paladin

Available materia: Fire, Ice, (Contain: 1 ice spell, 1 earth spell, 1 wind spell, 1 fire spell), Lightning, Restore, Time, (All), MP Plus, Cover, MP Absorb

Comment: Seems a bit off to me to have the one party member without HP Plus or HP Absorb AND with magic materia hp debuffs using Cover.

Tifa:Monk/White Mage/Geomancer

Available materia: Restore, Barrier, (All), Shield, Slash All OR Double Cut, Deathblow, Counter Attack, (Counter: Possibly have Deathblow as your counter attack), HP Plus, Magic Plus, (MP Turbo), Earth, (Contain: 1 ice spell, 1 earth spell, 1 wind spell, 1 fire spell), No holy spells available.

Comment: You sure you want to have only ONE character have 50% more hp than the other two? / You could do without HP Plus in my opinion.

Cid: Physical Based,Dragoon

Available materia: Deathblow, Double Cut, Manipulate, Morph, Sense, Slash-All, Steal, (Steal As Well), W-Item, Long Range, Counter Attack, (Counter: Possibly have Deathblow/Mug(Steal) as your counter attack), Speed Plus, Luck Plus, Mega All, (Elemental: Requires an elemental magic/summon materia to link to), HP Absorb

More possibly available materia(?):
Support: Final Attack, Sneak Attack
Independent: Chocobo Lure, Enemy Away, Enemy Lure, EXP Plus, Gil Plus, Underwater

Then there's also Magic Counter if you want Cloud to counter attack with magic... Might be too auto-pilot and would definitely decrease difficulty.
imo

User Info: keba-b

keba-b
2 years ago#7
Then there's also

Magic: Exit, Full Cure, Revive
Support: Added Cut, Quadra Magic
Command: Mime, Throw
Independent: Pre-Emptive

but in my opinion these are just unnecessary/awkward and/or difficulty decreasers :P
imo

User Info: waynedunwhat

waynedunwhat
2 years ago#8
I like to use the Long Range + Cover + Counter on someone standing in the backrow. Mug or Deathblow + Added Cut (deathblow especially if Vincent or Tifa has a 255 Attack% weapon). Give the Enemy Skill materia + Magic plus to the one who needs to reach their next tier Limit Break through # of kills. When you find the Double Ap weapons and armor use them often and level your Materia rather than always going for more slots and damage.

User Info: Peerlessly

Peerlessly
2 years ago#9
keba-b posted...
Then there's also

Magic: Exit, Full Cure, Revive
Support: Added Cut, Quadra Magic
Command: Mime, Throw
Independent: Pre-Emptive

but in my opinion these are just unnecessary/awkward and/or difficulty decreasers :P

Quadra Magic and the others make sense since it seems overkill, but would you honestly say the game is easy enough that you wouldn't need to use revive? I guess I could just use phoenix downs, but still. Also, I gave HP Plus to Tifa since Monks usuallly have a huge amount of HP.

waynedunwhat posted...
I like to use the Long Range + Cover + Counter on someone standing in the backrow. Mug or Deathblow + Added Cut (deathblow especially if Vincent or Tifa has a 255 Attack% weapon). Give the Enemy Skill materia + Magic plus to the one who needs to reach their next tier Limit Break through # of kills. When you find the Double Ap weapons and armor use them often and level your Materia rather than always going for more slots and damage.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't plan on using enemy skill since I don't feel like getting all of the enemy skills and I don't want to make the game too easy.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. First playthrough Planning Help (Please no spoilers if possible!)?
  • Topic Archived