This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Cloud has been stated to be Aerith's "lover"

User Info: BlankBeat

BlankBeat
5 years ago#1
An official French translation of Square Enix’s "On the Way to a Smile" was recently released.

In the original Japanese text, Cloud is stated to be Aerith's "koibito" (lover in Japanese).

In the official French translation, Cloud is stated to be Aerith's "amant" (lover in French): “Cloud avait ete son ami, et son amant.”

In English, this line is as follows: “Cloud was the woman’s friend, and lover.” [NOTE: the woman in this story is Aerith]

From the very beginning of Final Fantasy VII, Cloud Strife was romantically interested in Aerith Gainsborough. This is stated in Square Enix’s "Final Fantasy Dismantled":

Cloud: Here I met a Flower Girl.
She’s a girl with impressive eyes. She’s around my age, or elder by one or two years. But the innocent radiance in her eyes simply makes her suddenly look younger.
Aerith: “Excuse me, what happened?”
She asked me the question, and then I bought a flower from her, which is rare in Midgar. Maybe she’s pleased that the flower was sold, because the worried look on her face had vanished. If this smile costs only one gil, it is a good purchase.

After finding Aerith physically attractive, Cloud agrees to protect her from the Turks. He agrees to protect her for the price of a romantic date. This romantic date is on Square Enix’s For the One I Love (FTOIL) page. The stated purpose of the FTOIL page is this:

Through the long journeys, the love of the protagonists develop. Occasionally they become separated, but the two’s value to one another gives them the great strength to overcome whatever crisis may come.

The FTOIL page is giving examples of protagonists and their love developing. It specifically states, “…the two’s value to one another…” This means the FTOIL page is talking about mutual romantic feelings. Therefore, Cloud and Aerith both develop romantic value to one another during the course of the Gold Saucer date.

Unlike the high affection Highwind scene, Cloud and Aerith’s date is the normal outcome according to Square Enix’s "Final Fantasy VII Dismantled":

In Aerith’s case, if you play the game normally, the partner that generally comes will be Aerith.

Here is further evidence of the Cloud x Aerith date being canon

#111: The Planet’s largest amusement park is run by Dio. Cloud and company visit this place many times in their battle. They meet Cait Sith here. A PROMISED date [there is only one promised date in the game] that ends in a magical night. In the city of desire that floats above the sands, the light memory of the two people is asleep even now…Aerith: “I think I must have seen him again, in you… But you’re different. Things are different… No, Cloud… I’m searching for you…” ~Final Fantasy Art Collection

“Oh, Cloud…I enjoyed our date at the Gold Saucer. The view from the gondola that night was really beautiful. I’ll never forget it. I’ll never forget you, Cloud…” ~Aerith, Final Fantasy VII Dismantled, Square Enix

Cloud also tells Marlene he "hopes" Aerith likes him according to Square Enix’s "Final Fantasy VII 25th Anniversary Ultimania":

Marlene is a sharp girl — Even though she’s only 4 years old, Marlene is perceptive and well attuned to the woman mind. The scene where she ascertains that Aerith has favor for Cloud and tells him so, then says “I won’t tell Tifa!” demonstrates this grownup behavior.

In order for Marlene to say, "I won’t tell Tifa!" Cloud is required to say he "hopes" Aerith likes him.

Bottom line: Cloud is stated to be Aerith's "koibito" (lover) by Square Enix.

User Info: Redcoffee1

Redcoffee1
5 years ago#2
User Name BlankBeat
User ID 6772668
Board User Level 15: New User (1)
Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma. Can create 10 topics, 75 messages per day. Can now view own posting history.
Account Created Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:15 AM
Last Visit Monday, April 28, 2014 1:22 AM
Karma 6
Active Messages Posted 1

Yet another account created for the sole purpose of Aeris fanboyism.

Once again Aeris fans proving to be the most obsessive fanbase of anything ever.

Go back to the Clerith forums worshipping you goddess with your fellow cult members.
Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable. -G. K. Chesterton

User Info: WindMouseHanpan

WindMouseHanpan
5 years ago#3
Of course Cloud loved Aerith, it's plainly obvious after that "event", where both his anger and his feelings for her both just poured out of him.

He was pretty quick to ditch her for Tifa, though...Not that there's a problem with that. I'm pro CloudXTifa all the way.
Made a new channel, come see my let's plays if you want~!
http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox

User Info: colon_three

colon_three
5 years ago#4
I like trains.
The Great Final Fantasy Series Marathon
Began: September 2013 Currently playing: FFIX Disc 3

User Info: PeachTherapy

PeachTherapy
5 years ago#5
colon_three posted...
I like trains.

I thought it was Selphie that liked trains :-)

colon_three
5 years ago#6
Selphie and I like trains.

BlankBeat
5 years ago#7
Cloud and Tifa's relationship status is uncertain/unknown according to Final Fantasy VII creator Kazushige Nojima:

"Episode Tifa" [Case of Tifa] - first off, there’s the premise that things won’t go well between Tifa and Cloud, and that even without Geostigma or Sephiroth this might be the same." ~Nojima On the Way to a Smile interview

After Final Fantasy VII, we see Cloud and Tifa’s relationship in Case of Tifa. Depending on which Highwind scene you obtained, their relationship can either be romantic or platonic.

However, regardless of which Highwind scene you obtained, according to Nojima there’s a premise that things won’t go well between Cloud and Tifa. He specifies that even without Geostigma or Sephiroth, things still might not have gone well between them. This means the issues between Cloud and Tifa are likely inherent, and not a result of extenuating circumstances like Geostigma and Sephiroth.

In Case of Tifa, we see constant and inherent communication problems between Cloud and Tifa. This results in a fractured relationship.

"I don’t really intend to go about my views on love or marriage or family (laughs). After ACC, I guess Denzel and Marlene could help them work it out." ~Nojima On the Way to a Smile interview

Based on what transpires in Case of Tifa, and based on Nojima’s premise that things won’t go well between Cloud and TIfa, the Advent Children relationship chart lists Cloud and Tifa as “childhood friends”; NOT romantic partners or lovers.

Nojima then says that he guesses Denzel and Marlene could help Cloud and Tifa work out their issues after Advent Children. But we never find out if the children help them work through their issues. Therefore, Cloud and Tifa’s relationship status is uncertain/unknown.

We never see Cloud and TIfa act romantically *AND* Cloud has a separate room with a bed. There’s no indication they are anything more than two childhood friends running a business together. Oh, and their family wasn’t formed from a romantic place and it also includes Barret. Marlene invites Cloud to join HER family (a family that already includes Barret).

I also noticed that some on this forum said that Aerith only liked Cloud because he reminded her of Zack. This is not true. Here is why:

1)“Although in the beginning Aerith felt close to Cloud because he behaves like Zack, her interest in Cloud himself grows and she is attracted to him.” ~page 31, Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega, Square Enix

2) “First off, it bothered me how you looked exactly alike. Two completely different people, but look exactly the same. The way you walk, gesture… I think I must have seen him again, in you… But you’re different. Things are different…” ~Aerith, Final Fantasy VII

3) “I, now undoubtedly, love Cloud much more than Zack.” ~Aerith’s monologue in Gongaga, Final Fantasy VII Dismantled, Square Enix

Nomura of Square Enix also doesn’t know the nature of Cloud and Tifa’s relationship *AFTER* the Highwind scene takes place:

“For example, I was frequently asked if there had been romantic relationship between Tifa and Cloud for two years, after FF7 ended, but I don’t have any clue.” ~Nomura, Dorimaga interview, published at Flaregamer

BlankBeat
5 years ago#8
When did Cloud and Aerith first meet?
On December 9th, on 8th street in Midgar — right after Cloud blows up the first reactor, he bumps into her, to where she sells him a flower and he says her smile was a “good purchase”, along with saying her eyes were “impressive”. He leaves with a “mysterious” feeling (all stated in Square Enix's Final Fantasy Dismantled).

When did Cloud and Aerith officially meet?
December 10th. After Cloud falls into her church, crashing through the roof, he becomes her bodyguard in exchange for one date. Later, when he’s residing at her house, Cloud says meeting her was “amazing” (as stated in Final Fantasy Dismantled).

Did they ever get to date?:
Yes… times two! It was stated by Nomura, that when Cloud and Aerith sit in the Midgar park and chat, that it was a “date”. Later in the story before she dies, it is recalled by Aerith (in Final Fantasy Dismantled) during Cloud’s dream that she enjoyed their date at gold saucer… proving that they do canonly go on at least TWO dates together. So technically, they were dating. ^-^

What happened on their date at Gold Saucer?
You tell me. ;) The creator Nomura said that Aerith “confessed her romantic feelings to Cloud” and that their “promised date” in the city of “desire” ended "magically" (stated on the FFVII trading art cards). Take that for what you will.

Cloud and Aerith’s Affinity/Marriage Prediction:
The last fortune telling from Cait Sith No. 1.

"After solving the puzzle about Cait Sith’s replaceable body, he tells one last fortune of Cloud and Aerith’s affinity."

The result of it turns out "Aerith-san’s star and Cloud-san’s star! They promise a great future!" After that, it will become a sad prediction if we get to know what would happen afterward. But if we can catch the meaning of the “future” from another angle, we can see hope…..perhaps.

"Cait Sith’s lines which seem to expect Cloud and Aerith’s wedding now makes it more painful.” —stated in Final Fantasy Dismantled

Cloud and Aerith had a wedding prediction in their future based on mutual romantic feelings according to Square Enix. The only way a wedding prediction can become "more painful" after someone dies is if a wedding was possible before they died.

Bottom line:
Cloud is stated to be Aerith's "lover" by Square Enix
Cloud tells Marlene he "hopes" Aerith likes him in the official/canon version of that scene
Cloud is instantly attracted to Aerith
Cloud and Aerith's date is the "normal" outcome and is stated to happen multiple times
Square Enix's "For the One I Love" (FTOIL) page includes Cloud and Aerith's date. This is the intent of the FTOIL page:

Through the long journeys, the love of the protagonists develop. Occasionally they become separated, but the two’s value to one another gives them the great strength to overcome whatever crisis may come.

The FTOIL page is giving examples of protagonists and their love developing. It specifically states, “…the two’s value to one another…” This means the FTOIL page is talking about mutual romantic feelings. Therefore, Cloud and Aerith both develop romantic value to one another during the course of their canon Gold Saucer date.

colon_three
5 years ago#9
I really like trains.

BlankBeat
5 years ago#10
Me too ^_^ Trains are awesome.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy VII